Virus/Hack alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus/Hack alert

I notice that Cat (http://www.freebodyzone.com/board/index.php) has just been hacked (again), and that Isabelle's site (http://www.happynature.com/) lost a load of data not too long ago from the same sort of people with nothing better to do. I believe the Cheef (http://www.cheef.com/modules.php?name=Forums) has also been made a target on occassion, among others. We can't stop people doing this, all we can do is make sure that when it happens, either these people are unable to hack the installation, and that if they do, all the data is recoverable from some repeatedly known point in time.

Up until now, I presume you/we at clothesfree (http://clothesfreeforums.com) have been either lucky or careful. And long may it continue so. However, I thought it might be worth raising the issue, and getting people into a paranoid frame of mind, and motivating those backups and recovery scenario procedures, which are so often put off until after the event.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you... :-)

Rich.

I see where you're coming from Rich, but I'm not too worried. Isabelle and Cat run far smallar sites compared to something as big and established as ClothesFree, and I'm sure that if something happens Corky and company will know what to do.

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by S.M.A.:
      I see where you're coming from Rich, but I'm not too worried. Isabelle and Cat run far smallar sites compared to something as big and established as ClothesFree, and I'm sure that if something happens Corky and company will know what to do.

Stuart
      I do know what you mean, Stuart, but honestly, "I'm not worried, because I'm ASSUMING someone else is looking after the problem", is not quite the reassuring answer I was looking for ;-)

At Waterloo, Napoleon was quoted as saying: "you are all worried about this English general, I can assure you, Wellington is not a clever general, there is nothing to worry about, this battle will be over before breakfast...", and we know how that ended.

Rich.

Comment

You can protect things fairly well using a firewall program, but the hardest thing to do anything about is a "Denial of Service" attack.

This is where a server is attacked by sending it so my requests that regular users can't get in because the server is too busy to respond.

The people who do this type of thing should be severely punished because they cost a lot of time and money in the form of preventative measures and fixing things if their attack is successful.

Comment

The YNAI message boards were attacked on the same day as Cats. Rob got it going again quickly as he is on top of things over there. Cats? An owner who never responds is one that has a website doomed to constant attacks. Ours was up in hours. Days and days later, Cat members were still emailing each other wondering why Cat won't respond. Rob found out the hacker was out of San Diego and was filing a complaint last week.

-Danee

Comment

Posted by Danee:
            Ours was up in hours. Days and days later, Cat members were still emailing each other wondering why Cat won't respond.
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Cat hasn't responded by now, it makes one wonder if Cat is for real. I'm sure she is, but if she is really dedicated to have a web site with members included, then she should have been the first person to respond to her members.

Just a curious observation.

I truely hope they catch the perpetrator and punish him/her to the fullest extent of the law. Yes, we have been very lucky, but that is not to say we are out of storm. If there is a will, there is away. Just be thankful the INA site hasn't been hit on.

Comment

Cat is “real” and I exchanged e: mails with her when she first set up her site. She is aged in her late teens/early twenties and I imagine she has a full life to lead and she is not constantly sitting at her computer. Last time the forum was hacked she was able to get it up and running quite quickly after getting help from a friend ,who had the necessary expertise, but they were aware that they still needed to take further preventative measures- maybe he is not available or a more permanent fix is taking longer.The real danger is that Cat might say "enough is enough" andI really cannot devote any more time to my site.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrus:
                Cat is “real” The real danger is that Cat might say "enough is enough" andI really cannot devote any more time to my site.
                This is the problem, that a site is attacked is not unexpected, unfortunately, but it is important to be able to recover it - this was my original question here.

*** -> backup and recovery plan <- ***

These people should be hacking hard-to-get-into-well-protected sites, not naive-and-easy-to-hack ones - where's the kudos in that for goodness sake?

At the end of the day, I sincerly hope that Cat does not get discouraged by the w*nkers who have nothing better to do than to find easy targets. We need every nudist site to get up, and to stay up.

Rich.

Comment

thanks for the info. we'll be looking out for it. i do think the great poeple who run this site are aware and program the necessary software.

Comment

Working...
                  X