• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rambling Incoherence.

Comment

uat r u saing?

Comment

Unfortunately I think poor skills are simply more common, even in people who are to a degree intelligent. I had a friend in High school and following who had very poor spelling and grammer skills (written not verbal). She had ambitions to be successful in business and though it wouldn't matter because she would have a secretary to worry about things like that.

Comment

Peeple that rite wot they say dont think about itanymore jus type something you know and weel understnd whatever reminds me of a funne story that cant remember but I laffed real hard at it didnt you so she sai something like that but cant tell if she was serous or kidd ing tolal waist of time if you ask me but when did that count for something

Comment

I once heard that there were 10,000,000 American adults who couldn't read or write. I'm not sure how they came up with that figure, but under the circumstances I can believe that it might even be a lot higher. I had someone tell me once that the average adult reads at a 5th grade level. I have my doubts it's that high.

I think oftentimes it's a matter of lack of typing skills. I type using very few fingers because of arthritis; my fingers just don't bend like they should. I still manage to write somewhat intelligently--I hope .

It's also sometimes a case of laziness. A person is too lazy to use the shift key on their keyboard to use capital letters when necessary and all the punctuation marks that make reading what they write legible.

Of course, there is also the case of the lack of education for some for whatever reason. Some people don't care about getting a proper education even when they have the opportunity. Others never had the opportunity and do the best they can. Others just don't have the mental ability to understand all the ins and outs of grammar, punctuation and spelling.

Anyway. I usually just ignore any that are so unreadable that I can't figure out (or don't figure it's worth the extra effort) what they're trying to say.

Of course, it's also possible that some of the people are just pulling our legs with these unreadable posts.

Comment

I agree with Jon-Marc, I ignore the posts that don't convey any meaning to me. I actually feel pain if I try to read them. Trailscout, you have the "lingo" down pat, I don't know how you do it. Is there a website that you use to auto-translate from/to this "lingo"?

Comment

Not sure how th vote on this one. I have always assumed that when I can not understand what a person is writing it is somebody who is in chat rooms/IM a lot and types fast to get their thoughts out (no time for capitals, periods, and full words). Just my 2 cents.

Comment

As a `Professional Drinker'and "barfly" I am well versed in gibberish.I understand it but I can never recall what was said.By the way, has anyone seen Mrs. Goodbar?

Comment

w3## 1 p3r$0n4#% 7h1n|{ 17 1$ %05 wh0 h4$ 7h3 pr0b#3m (0m5n1(471n9 w17h 07h3r p30p#3 0n 7h1$ 0r5m.

TRANSLATION: Well I personally think it is you who has the problem communicating with other people on this forum.

Comment

Coming from you, dude, that's laughable.

Comment

Actually it makes more sense than most of his posts!

Comment

E=M*C^2
                          A lot of folks used to think this equation was rambling incoherence. It represents the common wisdom among physicists now, but is still somewhat unintelligible to me. I get the general idea, but there's a lot of high level math behind it that I don't have a handle on.

Are there mad scientists in our midst, posting hidden formuli for time travel, zero gravity devices and transubstantiation in posts that appear to be gibberish?

Or are they simply the mindless prattling of fools?

Comment

I voted for "I'm not completely sure that it's bogus, but I am somewhat skeptical as to whether they're real." I hope it doesn't look like I'm waffling on this very depressing topic.

More later, Stuart

Comment

Compared to other languages, the English language is perhaps the simplest to write on a computer -- no accents and only 26 letters, though albeit often absurd spellings. (BTW, I'm not an English bigot, if there was to be one world-wide language, I would pick Latin American Spanish as the best for international use.)

However, despite its apparent simplicity, texting is creating an even simpler form of English (no capitals, all phonetic). What I would like to know is whether this is happening in other linguistic groups too. If you are French, Finnish, German, etc., please let us know if your language is being altered by computer-based messaging.

Comment

Working...
                              X