"It's okay...I'm a nudist!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It's okay...I'm a nudist!"

So I'm out running the trails, as I do every Sunday morning. Part of my route is outside of the paths usually taken by hikers, because I enjoy the peace and serenity of "just me and nature." This time of the year, most of the trails are covered with pine needles, which muffle my footsteps, and startles most of the hikers I encounter, since they don't hear me coming until I'm right up on them. So I come upon a corner, and as I make a turn, I come upon a couple hiking and startle them. So far, nothing out of the ordinary, except for the fact that the Mrs is topfree! As she sees me, she panics and frantically reaches for her sweatshirt. I immediately think to say: "Oh no...it's okay...I'm a nudist", but I am running so fast that I have past them by the time these words reach from my brain to my mouth. I thought it was pretty cool that she was enjoying the cool morning breeze the same way I was: topfree. But I never got the chance to voice my kudos to her.

I've uttered these words a few times in the past. Once, a friend came upon breastfeeding time and was concerned whether she should leave the room. I simply uttered these magic words "It's cool...I'm a nudist" and she was immediately reassured. On another occasion I walked in on a co-worker while undressing, and just used those words again, which took the anxiety out of the situation.

Has anyone else been in a situation and used those magic words? And what was the reaction to it?

I have

yes, i've used those words too - like when walking on a beach to find a secluded spot and coming upon other nudists I've said them - moe often than not, i end up nude right here with them

Comment

Haven't been in a situation where that might be used, but I'll definitely keep those words in mind.

Comment

Great idea and response!

Comment

It's o.k. I'm a nudist

I think that that phrase could be mis-used, in the same way that "It's o.k. I'm a doctor" is not entirely reassuring to me. I might be a little more convinced if there was also a diploma from a large medical school hanging on the wall behind the speaker. Not likely in a wilderness trail.

Just why is it supposed to be reassuring I wonder...? I suspect it is to reveal that no offence to accidental nudity has been taken. "It's o.k." or "Don't worry, not a problem" should probably work equally as well. I don't think the "I'm a nudist" qualification helps a lot, given the general public's association of nakedness with nudity, and what the Internet spits back when the word is Google'd.

I really think that it is the physical, emotional and verbal reaction, more then any words, that reveals that there really is - no problem.

Comment

I have

When me and my roommate Maria went to the hot tub at our apartment after returning from a beer run. We hadn't even stopped by the apt to get our swimsuits. When we got there we saw a nude woman (trying to casually hide under the water) and her boyfriend (wearing trunks.) I just said something like "I noticed that you are skinny dipping, mind if we join you?" They were cool with it. Turns out that he had been naked before they heard us walking up. He put on his trunks, she didn't have a suit (it was his apt) and didn't want us to walk upon them with her out of the water with her shirt over her head drunkenly trying to get dressed. Anyway we strip and start talking about going to the nude beach and nudism in general. They weren't nudists and at first she was trying to stay hidden under the water; within 5 minutes she was going to get a cigarette and we were all just casually walking around nude outside and inside of the hot tub.

Comment

Surprising someone nude only happened to me once, but I guess I reacted with kind of the inside-out of "I am a nudist." I had driven down to visit some university friends who'd moved to LA and I'd had extraordinary luck with traffic, so arrived an hour or so earlier than expected. When I knocked and nobody answered, I decided to go around and wait in the backyard, only to surprise my friends having lunch au natural at the back patio table. Before they had time to react beyond looking a bit startled, I said, "Thank god! I was worrying about where I was going to get a swimsuit! I didn't know you guys were comfy and casual about no clothes too!" They both relaxed and laughed -- he said "Coors?" and she smiled, "I'll get you a plate, and a towel."

Comment

Calming effect

When confronted with someone who is uncomfortable with a sudden second of nudity...those words " Its okay...I'm a nudist " are pretty calming. A sense of relief and calmness overtake them inviting acceptance.
                In most circumstances people are drawn to cover-up...and how sad is that? With a changing world people still fear nudity. It's today's society which fails to teach and inform that nudity is okay along with the acceptance of one's own body.

Comment

Yep, I've found myself saying this on a couple occasions. I have found that it relaxed the atmosphere around us.

Comment

In general, perhaps the reason it seems to relax people has to do with why they get uptight when discovered nude. I think that (for myself) the big problem with being discovered nude is not that someone will see me but rather what they will think of me afterward and the possible legal consequences of being discovered.

Few of us want others to think badly of us. When someone who happens upon a nude person(s) acknowledges that they too enjoy nudism, that eliminates the situation where the people who were discovered nude would be held in a bad light. It makes it OK in their minds and thus eliminates the stress of the situation.

Rich

Comment

i'll have to remember those words too! haven't had the situation to use them yet!

Comment

I'll remember those words next time; "relax, i'm a nudist!"

Comment

While we didn't get to utter the words, "we're nudists" my wife and I did have a funny thing happen to us once on our way back from the c/o hotsprings that we go to. It was late at night during the summer a few years back. As we got into our subdivision, a group of five or six girls were all standing on a corner. As we got nearer, they all decided to "flash" us. Since it was late at night, we decided to drive back nude, so the whole thing was really quite ironic -- a couple of nudists being flashed by some teenage girls.

Comment

Who knows if you had the chance to say that you might of found a new nudist friends

Comment

Originally posted by snickers10258 View Post
                              Who knows if you had the chance to say that you might of found a new nudist friends
                              Probably not, since it was late and my wife and I both assumed that these kids were out being kids so to speak. Plus, I doubt that their parents would have neither liked them being nor having a couple of nudists stop to chat with them. No, I'm sure that we made the right decision to proceed on home that night.

Comment

Working...
                              X