How do you cope with Mosquitoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you cope with Mosquitoes

We have recently been plagued by mosquitoes.

I have tried many ways of keeping them away from our pool area in the warm evenings without much success.

Have tried noise machines, sprays, repellant plants, candles etc.

Any new ideas please,apart from wearing a mossy net.

Thanks in advance

You might look into the machines that attract them by using heat and co2 from a small propane flame. The bugs are attracted to the flame and co2 (thinking it was a person) and then vacuumed in to a basket. Sounds strange but they seem to work. We and others at our club have them with varying degrees of success depending on brand and location I guess. Good luck.

Comment

They don't seem to like the taste of me so I don't get bothered all that much, now New Zealand sand flies are a different matter altogether!

Pete Knight

Comment

EaglePeakPete;

I have heard that Avon Skin So soft helps because the mosquitos either don't like the smell or it keeps them from sensing food.

I have heard that eating garlic helps since they don't like the taste.

I have heard citronella works.

I have tried them. In the end the best was to try not to scratch.

Comment

By being a universal donor - the buggers don't like O negative blood for some reason.
          Also as walter05 said they don't like garlic and I do, so they tend to bite the person next to me and leave me alone which was great when I was living in areas where Malaria was a real concern - the leaving me alone part not the biting someone else part.

Comment

keep my partner with me. he puts off so much heat they don't even see me and feed on him

Comment

I hardly ever get bitten. When I do, it's invariably on the backs of my hands. Even those bites have virtually stopped now that I use a little trick my sister told me from her days in central Africa. I carry a few Habanero chillies in my pocket and once or twice a day break a bit off one and rub it into my hands and neck (keep away from your eyes!!). No mosquito bites, guaranteed!

Stu

Comment

Stu;

I wonder if Tobasco sauce will work. If so, it is easier to apply. I have a child's soccer game to go to on Thursday night and may try it.

Comment

Fogging

Water attracts mosquitos, as that's where they breed.
                  Look into pool covers and use these when the pool is not in use.

Check with garden or pool stores or pest control stores for a hand operated fogging tank and spray hose.
                  If available, rent one or buy one, and spray around the pool, bush area, and grass area on your property.

Good luck.
                  Mosquitos can be vicious, and even more so, around us nudists who offer up more available skin!!!!!!
                  In Canada,some mosquitos carry the West Nile virus, that can be potentially deadly.

Comment

Move to Arizona...they do not like the dry heat (naturally the trade off is the often 110 plus temperatures)

Comment

For long term help, if bats are native to your area, put up some bat houses. Depending on the size each house will hold over 100 bats. Bat LOVE mosquitoes.

I find that repellents that have a high level of DEET work well, Particularly if you put it on the clothes you are wearing.

Oh wait, this is a nudist forum... Put it on your hat.

Rich

Comment

I find that repellents that have a high level of DEET work well, Particularly if you put it on the clothes you are wearing.
                        Its great for melting plastics too, just be careful where you apply it and clean your hands before picking up your plastic lensed spectacles!!!!!!!!

Pete Knight

Comment

Its great for melting plastics too, just be careful where you apply it and clean your hands before picking up your plastic lensed spectacles!!!!!!!!

Wow! I didn't know that. You pick up the darndest things here don't you. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by walter05 View Post
                            I have heard that Avon Skin So soft helps because the mosquitos either don't like the smell or it keeps them from sensing food.

I have heard citronella works.
                            Citronella works cos they dont like the smell. You can get candles with it in or you can drop it into a lit candle for a quick burst. Perfect if you are having dinner.

They are also attracted to CO2 and smelly feet so some good advice is to scrub your feet and any other stinky parts clean.

Comment

yes! avon has a great bug repellant called bug guard. took it this summer camping when the gnats and mosquitos were so bad. my buddy and i both used it and had no problems. even sprayed it inside the tent. he was so impressed he purchased two cans for next year. http://www.youravon.com/pbricker look for it in the spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X