Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nude Yoga

Hi All,

I've been told that yoga might be helpful to me but I don't know much about it. So I've been doing a bit of research- not much, mind you, but a bit- and have come to the conclusion that nude yoga makes a lot more sense than clothed yoga. Does anyone here do nude yoga? I don't really know what I'm doing yet, so I'm open to suggestions. I'm kind of doubting there will be a nude yoga class in this area, but maybe there is a video or something that you can recommend (nude or clothed) that would allow me to do yoga nude in my own home. Any ideas you have would be very helpful. I've NEVER done yoga before and I don't know much about it, so any video ideas you have that are at the beginning level would be greatly appreciated.

Melissa

Hi All,

I've been told that yoga might be helpful to me but I don't know much about it. So I've been doing a bit of research- not much, mind you, but a bit- and have come to the conclusion that nude yoga makes a lot more sense than clothed yoga. Does anyone here do nude yoga? I don't really know what I'm doing yet, so I'm open to suggestions. I'm kind of doubting there will be a nude yoga class in this area, but maybe there is a video or something that you can recommend (nude or clothed) that would allow me to do yoga nude in my own home. Any ideas you have would be very helpful. I've NEVER done yoga before and I don't know much about it, so any video ideas you have that are at the beginning level would be greatly appreciated.

Melissa

Comment

Melissa, although I don't know much about yoga either, I do know that it consists of stretching exercises along with meditation.

A few years ago I had a problem with my lower spine. The pain was horrible!
      After going to physical therapy, I was given a set of back strengthening exercises to do every morning after my shower.

It was during that time I discovered that in order to see if I was positioned just right, it was easier to do in the nude. It was also better from a comfort standpoint as there was no clothing to bind.

Good luck with nude yoga exercises. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Melissa,

There is a whole series of videos (DVD) out by Dragonfly Productions called Natural Journeys. I borrowed one of them from my local library titled 'Sacred Yoga Practice: Vinyasa Flow for Beginners with/Rainbeau Mars'. I'd recommend this video. I have taken some yoga classes at a health club, of course none of them nude. I think you will only find nude yoga at resorts/spas or on some cruises. If I'm not mistaken, I think you can also find this video series at Costco or Sam's Club.

I have found yoga to be a very good stress release, as well as providing me with a good feeling of well being. I used to have problems with my lower back from time to time, but yoga has yaken care of that problem. Yoga can be physical or it can be spiritual, it's all in what you want to do with it.

Get your hands on a video and learn the Sun Salutation, which is a series of poses, and work it into your daily routine. You won't regret it.

Comment

It is better to perform some excercises in the Nude. I think Yoga qualifies, so does Tai Chi. Tai Chi is so slow moving and so precise that when one does it in the nude is beauty in motion.

Comment

My second wife did Yoga for much or her life, at a fairly advanced level, and regarded it as a very important part of her fitness regime.

We were browsing in a bookshop one time, and found a fully illustrated book on nude Yoga.

I asked Kathy if it was authentic, and she said it certainly was.

She did yoga nude at home, and also sometimes on quiet beaches.

For a video, have a look at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...69740?v=glance

Comment

I have tried yoga several years ago and, like the others, found it to be much more relaxing while nude. this was especially true with some of the more advanced positions. And don't forget to do breathing exercizes!

Comment

OK, I've ordered a yoga tape which should arrive in 4-14 days. Of course, I'll be doing the yoga nude and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes! As things are now, I'm doing my Richard Simmons tapes- which are fun, even if they are a bit cheesy. Gotta exercise, right?

Melissa

Comment

When I was about twelve, I was channel surfing one day and stumbled across a yoga program on PBS called "Stretching for Life." I was instantly hooked, and made its 6:30 AM weekday airings appointment television. And then for the next eighteen months or so, I was a casual yoga fan. But I got a little too busy with schoolwork and my fascintation with yoga was put on hold.

As for nude yoga- I've never done it, but I'd like to.

Comment

Like anything else, its better doing nude. Done a bit of yoga in my time and it is certainly beneficial. Heard of some studios that teach nude but only in the bigger cities.

Comment

I think that, like most exercises, women can't do it totally nude unless they're flat-chested. A sport bra is a great help. Oh, if only I didn't have to fear black eyes whenever I bounce nude! LOL

Melissa

Comment

Yoga is mostly a series of slow controled stretching exercises, nothing that should make you bounce. Some of the movements do involve a sort of isometric contraction of the muscle so you will get a good work out.

Comment

Melissa,
                          I've done a lot of Yoga and it would definitely be better done nude.

There's no fast movements, no bouncing. Lots of long stretches that really work every muscle of your entire body. When I used to do it in large classes I used to wish we did not have to wear clothes as they were so binding during the long stretches that pull you every which way. Many times I'd have to re-adjust my shirt or shorts. And since you're sweating so much, your clothes are drenched by the time you're done. It's would be easier to just let it drip on the map, as it begins to feel kinda yucky with these sopping wet clothes ... and of course save having to do the laundry (a big plus if you exercise often -- as you should).
                          Good Luck.
                          --steve-o

PS.. they have a weekly yoga class at my local c/o resort.

Comment

Hi,
                            I've gone to nude yoga classes in Boston,
                            (Cambridge). They cost $15 per class. This one was men only. I would still be doing it, if I hadn't moved to Cape Cod. This summer I'll try to get it started at our near by nude resort. Like some one else said, breathing is a big part of it. I had a tendency to hold my breath.
                            Anyway, have fun and enjoy
                            Steevo here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by melissastarr:
                              [qb] I think that, like most exercises, women can't do it totally nude unless they're flat-chested. A sport bra is a great help. Oh, if only I didn't have to fear black eyes whenever I bounce nude! LOL

Melissa [/qb]
                              That's not true. I jog on the treadmill totally nude, work out nude at Paradise Lakes' gym. I'm a 42D.

Comment

Working...
                              X