Uneasy about 'gay' areas on naturist beaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneasy about 'gay' areas on naturist beaches

From the outset I want to make it clear I am not gay bashing or otherwise in any way homophobic, just to shoot that one in the water early on. It's just that on clothed beaches there is never any reference to 'gay areas' or 'ends', so why should there be on a naturist beach? (as I just saw in a guide to Spain's naturist beaches)

To me, this just emphasises in the wrong way that general naturist beaches can also be places where some (not all, of course) gay folk can go to hook up with other gay folk in their unofficial 'special' areas, which of course has sexual connotations, unwelcome in a place where the vast majority of people are of a mindset that nudity is pure and natural and does not equal sex.

Thus, tagging a naturist beach with having a gay area says to me that the beach is used for activities other than enjoying the sand and sun - far more so than a clothed beach might be and this in my view is not good for the promotion of healthy naturism amongst those that doubt the sincerity of the 'naturism is non-sexual' claim, and also might put ladies off from ever trying it. (ie. my wife for one!!)

A very good point, I must remember to broach that question with some gay friends. I've been approached by men on a beach, but more so online, and my conclusion is that the greatest problem is from middle aged men who are, shall we say 'Exploring their sexuality' rather than the gay men themselves.

A very good friend of mine actually prefers to mix with all nudists rather than confining himself to the gay ghetto, indeed if he didn't openly advertise his sexuality he would be mistaken for a straight guy, as a few of my lady friends would unhappily testify.

The sad fact is that the people indulging in sexual activity on naturist beaches are 'exploring' and aren't really committed naturists. Yes we have threatened beaches in the UK, the reasons put forward by the police and local authorities is the sexual activity that goes on, and they see naked people as the cause, no differentiation between naked sex seekers and nudist, we're all naked people to them.

On most official nudist beaches here in the UK the police stop taking an interest, and sadly anything goes, but the unofficial beaches draw their attention and anyone found naked gets rough justice.

I would urge all naturists, especially the gay naturists, to make a complaint to the police about the sexual activity, on what should be a family beach, so that the perpetrators can be targeted.

Pete Knight
    Last edited by Pete Knight; 01-03-2009, 01:46 PM. Reason: Missing word inserted.

Comment

Originally posted by London Joe View Post
      From the outset I want to make it clear I am not gay bashing or otherwise in any way homophobic, just to shoot that one in the water early on. It's just that on clothed beaches there is never any reference to 'gay areas' or 'ends', so why should there be on a naturist beach? (as I just saw in a guide to Spain's naturist beaches)

To me, this just emphasises in the wrong way that general naturist beaches can also be places where some (not all, of course) gay folk can go to hook up with other gay folk in their unofficial 'special' areas, which of course has sexual connotations, unwelcome in a place where the vast majority of people are of a mindset that nudity is pure and natural and does not equal sex.

Thus, tagging a naturist beach with having a gay area says to me that the beach is used for activities other than enjoying the sand and sun - far more so than a clothed beach might be and this in my view is not good for the promotion of healthy naturism amongst those that doubt the sincerity of the 'naturism is non-sexual' claim, and also might put ladies off from ever trying it. (ie. my wife for one!!)
      I completely agree.

We've already discussed how nudity and sex are two completely different things. For this reason, I think it is wrong for EITHER sexual orientation to bring sex onto the beaches. A beach shouldn't be any more of a "hook up" spot than any other place.

I agree that we need to be extra careful as nudists because we are working to dispel common assumptions about nudity and every time there is a slip up or ambiguous case, we do a disservice to what are true lifestyle is.
      Last edited by nakedstudent; 01-03-2009, 05:20 PM. Reason: mis spelled a word

Comment

Just as a point of clarification, many clothed beaches DO have gay areas. I would also have to agree with Pete that I believe many of the men going to these places for activity most likely do not identify as gay.

Anyway, if all of the guys looking for sex WERE gay, the ladies would have nothing to worry about!

Comment

Here in the US it's a bit different. The gay side, at least here in South Fl at Haulover, is as unofficial as it gets. People at Haulover, gay or straight, are on better behavior than many on the textile beaches because they know that they are just one bad news story from getting the clothing optional status revoked. The existence of it is totally unofficial but it's not something that much can be done about. No official designation exists, it's just that the north end is known for gay guys sitting there. So gay guys go there it sit. Not much can be done about it and who would want to be the protester on that one. I'm straight and have no problem with homosexuality but I certainly aren't going to want to take my girl up there to sit around a bunch of homo guys where there are mixed gender couples, families and even all female groups on the rest of the beach.

Comment

I have been to Haulover Beach a number of times and I have not seen the gays on the north side of the beach mis-behaving. Gays need somewhere to make friends and to see friends who are gay. Nearly everyone, both gay and straight, want friendship, and this may or may not entail sexual activity. True, some gays as well as some hetorsexuals do not want emotional depth of friendship to develope, but unfortunately are interested only in the limited, restricting "one night stand".

Hopefully gay men on the north side of Haulover Beach can find their life's (gay) partner to experience the joy of mutual affection and happily maintain their stable household of two - or three, if they wish to adopt.

I have heard of women who used the gay side of the beach for their sunbathing so that they would not be bothered by Romeos.

A couple of liberal churches in St. Louis rent their social halls to gays and lesbians and their friends, to enable them to have dances and socialize. Sometimes the dances are sponsored by PFLAG. PFLAG is an organization which includes many parents of gays. The organization's initials, I believe, stands for "parents and friends of lesbians and gays".
            Last edited by David77; 01-03-2009, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David77 View Post
              I have been to Haulover Beach a number of times and I have not seen the gays on the north side of the beach mis-behaving.
              Haulover isn't an ideal example, you should see the dunes at Studland (UK) or the rocks at Lady Bay (Oz), what I'm trying to say is that somewhere to hide is often required, although there are exceptions, don't ask me about Brighton Beach (UK).

Pete Knight

Comment

UNeasy?

Originally posted by London Joe View Post
                ...Thus, tagging a naturist beach with having a gay area says to me that the beach is used for activities other than enjoying the sand and sun - far more so than a clothed beach might be and this in my view is not good for the promotion of healthy naturism amongst those that doubt the sincerity of the 'naturism is non-sexual' claim, and also might put ladies off from ever trying it. (ie. my wife for one!!)
                I don't understand why you're uneasy.

I've visited nude beaches around the world and there are sometimes designated but more often than not, UNdesignated sections for gays and lesbians.

Like David77 says, some straight single women (I've witnessed this on Hanlan's Beach in Toronto) sunbathe in the gay section so they're not harassed by straight nudists or voyeurs. Also, gay men and women do want to socialize together - that's why there are also gay bars and gay-oriented hotels and B & Bs.

But to suggest that having *gay* designated sections of nude beaches infers public sexual impropriety is sterotypical thinking and ignorant. Straight people are trying to get away with public sex on nude beaches all the time - Orient Beach on Saint Martin in the Caribbean is a good example.

Public sex from any orientation is NOT a smart or respected idea on any nude beach anywhere, and all gay, bisexual and straight *true* naturists know this. We don't want to lose what we have fought for over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Knight View Post
                  Haulover isn't an ideal example, you should see the dunes at Studland (UK) or the rocks at Lady Bay (Oz), what I'm trying to say is that somewhere to hide is often required, although there are exceptions, don't ask me about Brighton Beach (UK).
                  Pete, give us a break. You're only encouraging the ill-informed original poster. You have said on a couple of threads that you're bothered by gay men online or whatever - we get it.

My point is that *a minority of* people of all orientations try to get away with having public sex on nude beaches -- to blame it all on the gay population is wrong. This subject has been flogged on these forums already.

Comment

There is a fundamental difference between gays and straights when it comes to sexuality in general. Straights are very scared of sexualizing things - i.e.; the nude beach must be sexuality free at all time. Gay people are not as hung up on sex and sexuality as straights so while we may not be bumping and grinding ON the beach, we are open to the idea that, hey, we are all cruising some good looking naked guys and so what. There's nothing wrong with that.

This idea carries over into so many things that I won't go into in this thread. If you are not gay and you end up in a gay part of the beach and someone comes on to you then be like Nancy Reagan and JUST...SAY... NO. :-) The gays are not going to jump on you and take advantage of your innocent little self. In reality, however, you probably won't be hit on at all. A gaggle of giggling gays tend to stay to themselves.

Comment

Well said, Christian.

It never ceases to amaze me that the people who blather about how nudism is "pure and natural and not about sex" spend so much worrying about the sex lives of other people.

I also have never understood why, in the campaign to assure textiles that nudists are not deviants, the message seems to be the nudists are asexual naïfs whose minds are never defiled by impure sexy thoughts. That would be deviance; just taking your clothes off, running around naked, and enjoying the sight of other naked human beings is actually mankind's normal, default condition.

Comment

Journeyman,

Well thank you kind sir for informing me that I am 'ignorant' and 'ill informed', all because I happen to have an opinion that is different from yours!

Please read and understand what I am saying. The FACTS are that no clothed beach I have EVER been to has an area referred to as being predominantly 'gay'; not to my knowledge anyway. The inference from this is that people of all sexual persuasions would feel comfortable on all parts of the beach - right?

But when nudity is thrown into the equation re. some naturist beaches I am aware of, lo and behold, reference to a 'gay' area is made. I would say that you are being a little naive if you think that this is just a coincidence, and my unease springs from this fairly obvious link with the sexual aspirations of SOME of the gay fraternity, and the message this conveys about the values and morals of the WHOLE beach to local authorities, local residents, potential visitors (ie. my wife, who started me thinking about all this)

Calling my observation 'stereotypical' is a weak argument and does not change the fact that what I say may be stereotypical, yes, but it is still valid - as supported by others who have responded. Calling Belgians 'beer lovers' is stereotypical but its no less correct and does not need to infer negative connotations!

Of course, SOME heterosexual people use nude beaches as places where sex can be sought/carried out/watched etc. but that doesn't make it right, does it??

Comment

Christian,

I get the fact that SOME gay guys typically have multiple partners and think nothing of one night stands, cruising parks, beaches wherever in search of more willing prey -it's part of what being gay is, (I emphasize, to some guys).

The problem I have with this is that it tends to clash with what most heterosexual people see as they way they want to live their lives, and specifically the way they want to enjoy beaches. To my wife, having a special gay 'area' in any walk of life, be it a gay bar, club, cruise etc. generally means that location is where gay people go to meet and search for sex, with the same, in your words 'less hung up' attitude than heterosexual people.

So the same would follow for a beach with a gay area, thus meaning in her mind that the beach as a whole is probably going to be more accepting of general sexual undertones than a clothed beach - which puts her off trying it. She is not naive enough to think that nude beaches or even clothed beaches are a-sexual, nowhere is, and is aware for sure that men will see her naked body, but doesn't like the idea that for some this would be more sexual than if it were a bikini'd body on a normal beach.

I guess I can kind of see her point - hence my original 'unease' comment but have also told her to get those thoughts out of her head and not care what others may or may not be thinking. I do subscribe to the 'judge others by their behaviour, not what they might be thinking' point of view so I hope she can turn to that mindset at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
                            Pete, give us a break. You're only encouraging the ill-informed original poster. You have said on a couple of threads that you're bothered by gay men online or whatever - we get it.
                            I no more enjoy the sexual advances of gay men than the ladies do from heterosexual men, it isn't about sexuality, its about harassment.

My point is that *a minority of* people of all orientations try to get away with having public sex on nude beaches -- to blame it all on the gay population is wrong. This subject has been flogged on these forums already.
                            You're quite right, and if you'd have read my post properly you'd see that I consider middle aged hetro men exploring their sexuality to be the biggest problem. Here in the UK we do have a lot of problems with men gathering at certain beaches to 'meet up' and we all agree that this isn't what a beach should be for.

I have several gay friends who prefer not to frequent the gay area, one in particular attends numerous events purely as a naturist, and no one is even aware of his sexuality.

Brighton Beach, which I refrained from offering detailed information on, is renowned for sexual acts between men, the police don't stop them either, I think this is because it's seen as an official nudist beach and this sort of activity is what nudists do, do you?

Pete Knight

Comment

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                              There is a fundamental difference between gays and straights when it comes to sexuality in general. Straights are very scared of sexualizing things - i.e.; the nude beach must be sexuality free at all time. Gay people are not as hung up on sex and sexuality as straights so while we may not be bumping and grinding ON the beach, we are open to the idea that, hey, we are all cruising some good looking naked guys and so what. There's nothing wrong with that.

This idea carries over into so many things that I won't go into in this thread. If you are not gay and you end up in a gay part of the beach and someone comes on to you then be like Nancy Reagan and JUST...SAY... NO. :-) The gays are not going to jump on you and take advantage of your innocent little self. In reality, however, you probably won't be hit on at all. A gaggle of giggling gays tend to stay to themselves.
                              Whilst I agree that no one is going to take advantage of me, it is a matter of harassment, as for gays being more sexually liberated, no problem there either, I just don't want the few beaches we're allowed to use naked to be a no go are for families simply because you're likely to see a guy giving another guy a blow job.

Please don't accuse me of being homophobic, I have many gay friends who are just as disgusted at the lewd behaviour of some on our nudist beaches, and I would no more like to see a hetro sexual couple openly having sex on a beach than I would a gay couple.

It's difficult enough gaining acceptance as a naturist, to expect wider public acceptance of public sex would ruin our chances of more nude beaches.

Pete Knight

Comment

Working...
                              X