Nudist v. Clothing-Optional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nudist v. Clothing-Optional

I am very new to the whole concept of "social nudism". I have been to nude beaches plenty of times (both alone and with my wife). We enjoy it quite a bit, but always had a feeling that there was something a little "sketchy" about the organized nudist thing. I went to a "premier" AANR club (not Caliente) recently and was surprised that 90% of the attendees were clothed in the evening. All of the men were either clothed or wearing bathrobes. All of the women were either clothed or wearing lingerie and high heels. Hanging around with a bunch of guys in bathrobes watching a bunch of women in lingerie and high heels dance with each other was not really what I had envisioned as a non-sexual, family-oriented environment. I have a very hard time explaining to my wife after this visit that nudism at AANR clubs is a family-oriented activity.

I don't care if the people at nudist clubs are 18 or 80; 100 lbs or 400 lbs - but I am much more comfortable with them if they are dressed appropriately for the weather -- naked if warm; clothed in some reasonable way if it is cold. Lingerie parties can be fun - - if I am at a bachelor party. I don't think it belongs at an AANR resort.

For this reason, I think I am more inclined in future visits to only frequent nudist rather than clothing-optional venues.

Any thoughts?

I've never been to a nudist resort, but I have to agree that it sounds a little more like a swingers club when you get into the whole "dressing sexy" thing for parties and dances.

If it's cold put on a sweater or whatever. Sexy night clothes are not all that warm anyway.

Comment

I've found that resorts I have visited in France (Euronat), Spain (Costa Natura) and Denmark (Solbakken), people *do* dress in the evenings, even at times dressing up for dinner. Sometimes it's because it can get rather cool; other times people want to wear their new sportwear or holiday outfits.

Bathrobes and lingerie would be laughed at as wholly inappropriate at these European places.

Resorts in the Caribbean - such as Sorobon Beach Resort on Bonaire - have a 50% North American and 50% European clientele. At dinner, the Europeans tend to dress; the North Americans tend not to. The weather is warm enough to be nude 24/7, which is what I prefer after spending the time and the money to get there.

I've been to Lake Como, Paradise Lakes and Caliente (all in Florida, for our international readers) also for visits, in 2008. What you describe is what you'd probably see at the latter two, but not Lake Como, from what I experienced. I'm also not a fan of the bathrobe/lingerie set - in my opinion, take all your clothes off or none at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post

Bathrobes and lingerie would be laughed at as wholly inappropriate at these European places.
        You haven't been to Cap d'Agde then!

I'm also not a fan of the bathrobe/lingerie set - in my opinion, take all your clothes off or none at all.
        Mmmmm, I can agree with the concept, but there comes a time when you need some sort of cover up for protection against the cold. I have an Arabic style Dish-dash that I purchased in Spain, it is my favourite cover up of all (And I have a few other ethnic robes.), it can be carried when I go out for an evening, used to sit on, and worn, if necessary, on my return trip to my RV.

People joke about my range of slip over cover ups, but I think they're great, I may try a fashion parade to get you some photos, if I feel that way inclined.

Pete Knight

Comment

I never quite figured out why anyone would go somewhere to be nude and not be.

Comment

This is an interesting subject for me. I am not new to being nude, but am a novice when it comes to social nudity. A couple of years back I finally had the chance to visit what I would call a nudist resort. I will admit, I was very nervous before going. Up to that point, I had only been nude in front of one or two friends at a time or small groups on the beach. And I really don't think a beach visit was going to prepare me for the "resort".

My friend (Thanks BB!) assured me that where we were going was clothing optional, except for the beach. This eased my mind. When we arrived, I was still a bit nervous. See others in various stages of undress helped! Some were nude, some were covered, some were in between

In my mind, it was exactly what I had hoped for (but figured did not exsist), a place where everyone could be as comfortable as they wanted to be...clothed or nude...it just didnt matter.

Comment

My first nudist experiences were at nude beaches, surrounded by the nude, the partially nude and the completely dressed. That type of environment works well for a lot of people; but it was never my idea of the nudist way of life.
              My first real resort experience was at a C/O facility. The entire staff was dressed, the only nudity was around the pool. After hours everyone was at least partially clad. Again; that works well for a lot of people. But my philosophy was: "We're dressed all day everyday. We usually vacation dressed unless it's a nudist vacation. This is the one place where we don't have to be dressed. So, notwithstanding being new, cold or sunburned, why would anyone want to keep clothes on here?"
              The next resort I visited, I actually didn't know whether they were nude or C/O. I arrived at the main office. The office lady was completely nude. I saw people arriving, disrobing completely by their car and walking through the entrance - completely nude. The resort manager was also completely nude. Throughout the day there, there was only one teenager that occasionally wore a simple T-shirt. That was the only worn garment I saw that day. Even after hours, as a simple dinner was prepared and we sat and ate, most of the people dining were still nude. And I thought to myself: "Now that's nudism!"

But that's just me; and I know a lot of people still prefer the option that a C/O environment provides. I recommend trying out all three venues, and determining which one suits you best.

Comment

Originally posted by txvic View Post
                I never quite figured out why anyone would go somewhere to be nude and not be.
                Thank You! I often wonder that when I see people at my resort and it's a very comfortable temperature, why would you pay to be clothed? I admit there are times that you might want to cover up, but I see people in full dress. Kinda takes away from the environment.

Comment

Some answers for wearing clothes at a C/O resort.

Sometimes the husband is a nudist but the wife is not a nudist, so she does not take off all her clothes but he does.

Some states have a law that all service personnel must be clothed, so the resort employees must be clothed.

The one who gave me a professional massage at a nudist resort was without any clothes when not giving massages. He explained that most states have a law that the one giving the massage must be clothed, so he put on his shorts for the massage.

He stated that most state laws state that the one getting a massage must have some minimal covering on, but he ignored this at the resort.

Teen-age boys often wear shorts as they are embarrased by frequent erections.

Women sometimes wear bakini bottoms when they are having their period.

Comment

Nude vs Clothes-Optional

I'll agree with Journeyman and his observations to a point. Having been to Sorobon in July and December (different years) I will agree that the resort has more Europeans than other resorts. What I found is that the decision to dress or not dress for meals was more of an individual thing rather than by country. I've seen dressed Americans and nude Dutch people both times. Likewise, at Eden Bay (oops, Caliente Caribe) most of the women wear some type of pareo or other garment at dinner to eliminate the need to carry a towel. The men may or may not wear anything. As for me, I fall into the nude 24/7 category - have towel, will go anywhere.

I too feel that the bathrobe/lingerie scene is not what I would consider nudism. If you're cold or looking for protection from bugs (Bonaire in the rainy season!) that's one thing. After that, it becomes just a bit tawdry.

Comment

....well, that's what people normally wear in FL. We all go shopping in bathrobes and lingerie.

No, that's pretty messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh Air View Post
                        ....well, that's what people normally wear in FL. We all go shopping in bathrobes and lingerie.

I wish I had known that when I was there last month. I would have done a lot more shopping. LOL!

Comment

If its a nudist resort then everyone should be naked all the time, as long as its practical to do so. C/O facilities just make it possible for people to never experience being nude and they usually get taken over by textiles. Theyre good sometimes for people who are squeamish about jumping into going completely nude right away but otherwise theyre just places where undesireables can lurk. Nudist resorts generally keep those people away and most are not inclined to get naked just to get a cheap thrill anyways.

Comment

One good reason for a C/O policy of course is to encourage the notion that you don't have to be a nudist yourself to be ok with others' choosing to be nude. I'm very happy to include in the naturist movement anyone who doesn't care what other people wear or don't wear. Anti-nudists often point to how few people are nudists to "prove" that a majority of people disapprove of nudity, but I think there just aren't enough opportunities for people to demonstrate tolerance, that in fact they are happy to live-and-let-live.

Supporting expanded clothing-optional opportunities is not necessarily in conflict with supporting places where naturist principles are in full force. Public beaches, for instance, should be for everybody, which implies everybody being tolerant and respectful, without imposing textile or nudist views. This doesn't prevent private beaches or resorts being organized by textiles or nudists unwilling to be tolerant or wishing to be among like-minded people.

(The issue of "undesirables" is a different matter -- really a behavioral issue -- and there of course should be zero-tolerance for bad behavior regardless of the prevailing dress-code.)

Comment

I am strongly against Draconian nudist rules. Clothing should always be optional and appropriate. I am entirely happy to accept textiles who are naturist friendly. I do not think this is a slippery slope to being taking over by textiles but a move towards the greater acceptance of nudity.

I am walking with a naturist man who has a textile wife. They both join our walks and are good members of our group. Should I ban the textile wife who is very happy walking with all us naked men. The presence or absence of clothes makes no difference. She is a fellow walker. We are walkers primarily who just happen to have a liberal clothing sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X