No announcement yet.

Nudism: Sexy or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know...I still think the term "sexy" is being used loosely here.

Main Entry: sexy
    Inflected Form(s): sex·i·er; -est
    1 : sexually suggestive or stimulating : EROTIC
    2 : generally attractive or interesting : APPEALING

Main Entry: sen·su·al
    1 : relating to or consisting in the gratification of the senses or the indulgence of appetite : FLESHLY
    2 : SENSORY
    3 a : devoted to or preoccupied with the senses or appetites b : VOLUPTUOUS

To me, if I'm at a resort, and I'm feeling tiitallated because of the effect of the sun, water and my wife's warm skin brushing up against mine, that's sensual (i.e: gratification of the senses)
    However, if I'm at a strip club (frequent in my pre-nudist, college days) and I'm aroused and visibly excited by the sight of a completely nude woman's genitals girating in front of my face, then I would call the whole thing sexy (i.e: sexually stimulating)

Am I the only one drawing a distinction between the two here? Or are both the resort and the strip club experience considered to be variations, or different shades, of "sexy"?

Comment

Different shades, and thats O.K. as long as an Open mind is thinking about it, and thats the only minds that are ever going to be O.K.with public or open nudity anyways, in my opinion.Nudity isn't bad. Sex isn't bad. They both have their place for everyone, and a mature responsible mind can sort that out.
      Nudeinbama

Comment

Reading over the posts, I've developed a theory as to why some people admit to a sexual ramification to nudism; while others do not. I don't believe it necessarily has anything to do with repression or acceptance; I think it has to do with libido.

Main Entry: li•bi•do
        1 : emotional or psychic energy that in psychoanalytic theory is derived from primitive biological urges and that is usually goal-directed
        2 : sexual drive

Yes, we are all sexual beings. But we are not all "wired" the same way in terms of libido. Considering this, it is not difficult to understand why some people would feel "sexy" as opposed to others. It is not that some embrace their sexuality and others reject it; I believe that those who do feel "sexy" as a result of nudism simply have a higher libido than those who don't. Interestingly, men's libido starts decreasing at a much earlier age than women; could that mean that women generally feel more sexy as a result of nudism than men?

Of course, this is just a theory and I could be wrong.

Comment

Nudony I think your theory holds some validity. It's nice to see people thinking out of the box.

Other reasons for how people voted could be that they are totally out of touch with their sensuality/sexuality or that they'd just never publicly admit that these feelings happen to them.

Not only has the general population been taught little about nudity, we have also been taught little about sexuality. Many nudists that I know are proud that they've figured out the nudity part but still are clueless about their sexuality.

It doesn't help that almost every nudist website denies this sexuality and in doing so make it politically incorrect.

I believe this is exactly the reason why my websites on nudity have such deeply devoted members. We try to do away with the stereotypes and being politically correct.

http://www.yournudelife.com

Comment

I voted sexual buzz as a secondary feeling!

Sorry....I admit to my HUMAN nature!
            If I see a woman I find attractive, whether she is dressed to the hilt...at a super market...it is a turn on!
            To say otherwise would make me a LIAR!
            And I despise liars! Along with theives!

So there it is! I am human and admit it! Think what you will!
            I do my best to further the acceptance of nudism by stressing the fact that there is no sex stuff going on in the open or even unfriendly leering.

P.S. Us nudists are just very good with our self control and supressing our urges!

Comment

quote:
              Yes, we are all sexual beings. But we are not all "wired" the same way in terms of libido. Considering this, it is not difficult to understand why some people would feel "sexy" as opposed to others. It is not that some embrace their sexuality and others reject it; I believe that those who do feel "sexy" as a result of nudism simply have a higher libido than those who don't. Interestingly, men's libido starts decreasing at a much earlier age than women; could that mean that women generally feel more sexy as a result of nudism than men?

Not being a sexologist or scientist who has studied sexual response, I have some ideas from my experience and reading and education. In the early 1950 ties, I went to a social work graduate school and the professors were rather Freudian, (many worked at the Menninger Mental Hospital) so there is a possiblility that I may put too much (old fashioned?) emphasis on superego, id (libido-sex)and the ego, and on the psychological defense mechanisms - like sublimation and repression.

I think that most persons, if not all persons, from time to time "sublimate and repress" their sexual (libido) motivations, thoughts and feelings to be something that they believe is more acceptable (that is, more "superego" acceptable, in psychological terms). As Cyndiann says, they loose touch with their sexual feeling at times. It is more acceptable to them to deny (sublimate, repress) their feelings, as they are taught that having (additinal) sexual feeling at a nudist resort is a big "NO, NO".

Of course, I also think that some persons have a higher libido than others, depending on age, health, even thoughts of assessability of engaging with partner increases testostorone level, etc. etc.
              Surprisingly, women who have little or no sex drive, are given testosterone to increase their sex drive. Men are not the only ones who need testosterone for sex drive.

Many articles state that men are more visually aroused by anything sexual than women are stimulated by sexual sights, so maybe men get a greater charge (appreciation) out of the sights of many nudes around them.

However, scientists have wired women's sex organ to a meter, and then the scientists showed them potentially sexy pictures. The meter showed that they had a sexual response, but some women denied this and reported that the pictures did nothing for them physically, emotionally. Is this a cultural phenomenon where women are still taught that nice girls do not respond sexually to such things?

I also believe that some person's Bible upbringing will not allow them to "lust", which to them means sexual feeling sometimes. I personally wish they could let themselves feel their own full spectrum of emotions, but certainly behave ethically/morally.

Comment

A perennially "arousing" topic! (Sorry; couldn't resist. )

As many others have said, we are all sexual beings. But most of us either repress or sublimate our sexuality much of the time, simply because we can't do it 24/7 and still feed ourselves, pay bills, etc.

It has also been noted that alcohol tends to increase interest in sex for a lot of people (although not sexual ability ). But does it really? More likely it merely takes the surface repression away. In vino veritas, after all. Perhaps nudism is the same way, taking away the non-sexual mask we wear much of the time and revealing our inner being, which definitely includes sexuality. But of course, simply because you feel the urge doesn't mean you have to act on it.

David, I think this nonsense about men being "more visually stimulated" than women is entirely cultural. Your remark about "nice girls" hits the bullseye.

Comment

Jochanaan, you don't believe in the fact that men are innately more visually-stimulated than women are?

hmm, uhkay.

--s

Comment

I believe men are stimulated by the sight of a woman, steve-o. But in my experience it works both ways. Several women I've known closely have reported being just as stimulated by seeing a good-looking man, naked or otherwise, as I am by seeing a good-looking woman. Besides, the US is not the entire world. Is it the same in all other cultures as here? Somehow, I don't think so.

Comment

This is almost a "What does nudism mean to you?" question....

To me, nudism is NOT sexy....mixing sex and nudity as most textiles do is counter productive to the ideals of nudism. It's muddy waters, and the more you mix sex into the equation the harder it is to see anything at all.

HOWEVER, everybody is different, and there are some who tie in nudism and sex. In my years as a nudist I've had the unfortunate experience of encountering the famous masturbating male who seems to find the idea of being naked and being around others a very arousing experience. In my opinion, his muddy waters are so muddy that he can't even appreciate the serenity of where he is, but instead disrupts the good vibes. There are unkind things I'd like to do to these buzz killers, but that wouldn't fix anything.

My hope is that the gap between "nudism" and "sexy" never narrows more than it already is, and that those who chose option #3 will continue to be the majority and continue to set a standard of behavior that will keep nudism a safe activity for families.

Why don't we think of other innocent things we can corrupt..... Are half clothed patients in a hospital sexy? Is the idea of your parents having sex to make you sexy? Are your kids sexy to you? Do you undress your grandma with your eyes when she's serving the cassarole?

It's all about having the right mindset. Sex must be painted onto something that is non-sexual. Nudism is non-sexual. A woman shopping at the grocery store is a non-sexual event. Why don't we stop painting sex onto these inert things? And when human nature stirs the pot....keep your thoughts in check, don't embelish fantasy

Comment

I'm still pretty new to this way of life and sure, I get a buzz, but I'm also sure it's not a sexual one, I certainly do not get aroused so I'm happy with the way I feel. I've still to get round to the social side of it, at the moment I'm a lone naturist and only my wife ever sees me, but, when I do I'm very sure that I will cope without getting excited.

Comment

I believe there is always an element of sexuality to be savored in the nudist experience. Why should there not be with all the--er--equipment in plain view? Nudists have been accused at times of being prudish for attempting to exclude all elements of sexuality in their social activities. Or perhaps more a case of "Methinks the lady [gentleman too] doth protest too much".

What's wrong with a dash of eros along with the philos and agape of the nudist experience. Relax and enjoy it!

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by DoctorSurferDude:
                            This is almost a "What does nudism mean to you?" question....

To me, nudism is NOT sexy....mixing sex and nudity as most textiles do is counter productive to the ideals of nudism. It's muddy waters, and the more you mix sex into the equation the harder it is to see anything at all.

Let me ask you this. How many times a day do you think about sex?

Do you stop thinking about it when you are at a nudist club?

Did anything really change other than your location?

Comment

The difference seems to be that most people who visit nudist establishments grow more accustomed to the sight of nudity.

Nudity remains beautiful and interesting, at least for those we regard as attractive, but for many, the reaction is more subdued.

The acid test is behavior. Those who insist on bothering me or my female companions would be asked to leave the nudist resort.

We don't want to create an atmosphere of hostility or sexual harassment.

And to be blunt, I am not particularly attracted to most of the people I see at nudist resorts. There are just a few cuties who would catch my eye (clothed or not).

Comment

I voted that i get no sexual buzz from nudism. I do get a buzz though, but more of a relaxed and zen like feeling. I just feel very up beat and cool about everything.

I do find some women at the resorts to be attractive and maybe even sexy but i don't get sexually aroused by them. I don't equate sex with nudism at all and i think they should be kept seprate.

Comment

Working...
                                X