Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overcoming society's brainwashing

I am not sure if I am alone in this.

Sometimes, I have difficulty being a nudist. It isn't just that other people don't understand, or that they think it's weird. Sometimes I seem to be unsure of it myself. I love being naked, I love feeling the sun and wind on my skin. Yet sometimes, I think maybe I am a bit odd for that. I know this comes mainly from the way I was brought up. I was very, very shy and had difficulty even being seen in a swimsuit. On hot days when my friends would go shirtless, I would not, becuase I didn't want my chest to be seen. As I have mentioned in a couple of threads here, my first experiences with social nudism came about from me challenging myself to face and overcome my fears. I think I was mostly successful, but there still are times where a voice in my head will say "wait a minute... you're going someplace where the whole point of being there is just to be naked with other people? Weirdo."

Does anyone else ever have such issues? Does anyone else ever feel they are only half-way to being a true nudist?

It's not just that. Sometimes, I seem unsure of my convictions and contradict myself in some ways. I keep thinking it's too bad that there are no family pictures here showing parents and their kids. I'd like to see some of those pictures come back. I think family nudism is great and pictures of healthy nudity in the family would be a good way to show others who are unsure of nudism that it is not a sexual thing, but just a natural way of being. But then when someone posts a thread her asking about pictures of kids, that voice in my head starts making assumptions about the person asking, that they must have impure motives for wanting to see nude children.

I remember a time when a coworker who had been born in France showed me a picture in a book on nudism. It had a young girl sitting by the pool, leaning back on one arm and with her legs open, with her vagina clearly visible. My coworker commented on the natural beauty of the picture, but I saw it as sexual. Years later, I look back at that and think that if she'd been in a swimsuit, I, too, would have called the same pose innocent. Or if there had been another kid sitting with her with a boardgame or something between them, I would have taken it as a nice, candid photo. So why did I judge it that way? I know other people do this to a degree, too. We often say that every body part is equal and beautiful. Well, you often see pictures of hands, or feet, or some other close up of a body part. But if it's a close-up of a penis or vagina, then something is wrong with it. Do we truly believe every body part is beautiful, or are we just telling ourselves what we'd like to believe?

It just strikes me that as open as we try to be, we (or I, at least) still fall prey to the beliefs of society at large. There is nothing wrong with the human body, but hey, don't bend over to pick something up, because we don't want to see that. Nudist kids are cute and innocent, but pictures of them are dirty. The workings of the body are wonderous and amazing. But why do you have an erection, pervert?

Anyhow, I am not sure exactly what point I am trying to make here. But I do wish I was more than a half-way nudist.

Re: Overcoming society's brainwashing

Without saying a lot i understand what you are saying,in earlier years i would second guess myself,you need some naturist friends to communicate with an be with,i refer to myself as a naturist it is a softer expression of myself.Nakenone

Comment

Years ago I was shy and unwilling to be "open" around others, but that quickly disappeard during high years when gang showers were the norm. After that, I was in the service, so gang showers were again, the norm. Since that time, I quickly realized that others were basically the same. Sure, there are different sizes, shapes and colors, but over time, those "fears" went away. It wasn't until about 7 years ago when I decided to become an open nudist around the house (when practical). Everyone knows of my love of not wanting to wear clothes, but with compromise, I do cover when non-nudists are around.
      I have aways visited the local nude beach even back in high school years, but as a kid, thoughts of just wanting to be naked were different. Now that I have been nude around others in a home atmosphere, the thoughts of years ago are not there. Just wanting to be nude is a relaxing situation, a time to wind down, so to speak. My wife is supportive and has even joined me in skinny dipping. I continue to practice home nudity in the backyard, even when non-nudists are around. Only they don't care to come in the back. But I will cover up when we have a cookout, so the family could get involved socially.

Comment

I think a big part of it is how society uses the nude body to sell things. The only time it seems to imply nudity on TV is in a commercial. There's no way that you could get an informed discussion about nudism on the airwaves anymore. People are just too uptight nowadays. As for how you can break this feeling of being a halfhearted nudist, I would say it takes effort to train yourself that nudity does not always equal sex. Perhaps it just takes more and more wholesome experience of nudity to get it out of your head that the only reason you are a nudist is for the dirty excitement of it.

Comment

As I age, it just seems the norm and I don't care - I like being nude, so that's how I am. But, in earlier years, I did have some of the same thoughts, because outwardly, it just didn't seem the norm and I didn't grow up geographically or family wise in an environment where it was the normal or comfortable. I think I the internet been more prevalent and put me in touch with similar people sooner, I may have not thought or rather been so slow to enjoy the way I truly enjoy being and living.

Comment

Society has a way of ruining the natural.

My wife is totally brainwashed by very modest parent upbringing. Her dad drilled it into her head so bad, the first time we took a shower together she had to wear a night gown and the lights had to be off. Now years later, she has lightened up a bit.... only a bit.

We were in West Glacier, Mt as we live real close anyway. But a place we love to go, there in the parking lot a guy was changing between two parked cars. Well my wife happen to look at just the right time, and see a good side shot, and him turning around bending over. She still to this day, won't let up about that. I just told her, it was out in the open because he was one with nature and it upset you.

Her reaction to my coment was, that she did not need to see his penis or anus in public, and that she thought it was grose.

This is why, I joined MNO on my own.

She views our lifestyle as we being weired, and she is unwilling to accept the concept of public nakedness as a shared group activity.

Her loss, to experience total freedom of restraint. Its also my loss because I was really hoping to have her enjoy this lifestyle with me, as a couple.

I curse society's brainwashing!

Comment

It took several years but my wife has overcome some of the brainwashing my wife was raised with. She has no problem being nude around the house and has gone with me several times in the past but now she has grown shy again she is very self conscious of her weight and embarressed over it. However she will go with me to a clothing optional resort occaisionally and has no problem letting me go to the resort on my own.

For anyone in western Montana you may want to start planning a trip to Spokane Washington as there are 2 nudist resorts in our area. The 2 resorts are Kaniksu Ranch just north of Spokane and Sun Meadows just east of Spokane near Worely Idaho. I have found that they are quite accomodating of first timers especially women. Give them a try.

Comment

Counter-Brainwashing:
                Just for argument's sake, let's say you are a person with a less than perfect body. You cream and exercise and eat right and groom, but still don't look like airbrushed Brad-Jolina. Of course they don't either, but that's beside the point. When you look in the mirror, you still see every imperfection.

Now imagine there is a solidarity network of imperfect people. The network's prime purpose is that when together we imperfect people give each other a break from mirrors. Each person is looking out, not looking at, mutually allowing each other to relax and take a moment just to be what we happen to be at the moment -- a unique blend of experiences, with the face of our ancestors and affectations of our peers, an amalgam of past and future, somewhere on the road between toddler and fossil.

So undo the belt, take off your suit and tie or your outfit and beauty-lift bra or jeans and t-shirt, anything that's been added, get something nice to drink, take a deep breath, feel the air, take another deep breath, feel the pure simplicity of life, smile -- its naturist break time!

Comment

I am findling a lot more acceptance of nudism for example today was my first day back at college and true to my word I wore my nude runner shirt from the Bare Buns Fun Run at my home club Kaniksu. I got lots of comments and all of them were positive however so far I have not recuited any volunteers to try it next year but hey I still have 10 months so you never know.

Comment

Society sends very powerful messages from when we are very young that are not easily overcome. We are told that we need to cover ourselves; that certain parts of our body should not be seen by others. This powerful conditioning is not easily overcome by most.

I really wish that people would understand that our bodies are not some sort of weird alien thing and that we should not be ashamed of our bodies. We should learn to accept ourselves as we are and accept others as well.

What you are experiencing is years of conditioning by society that will surface from time to time. The thing to remember is that we can learn to overcome that control and understand that need not feel ashamed of ourselves and others.

Comment

Originally posted by NudeAl View Post
                      I am findling a lot more acceptance of nudism...
                      Sometimes it seems that way. I hear more and more about nude events, people doing nude phot shoots or calendars for various causes, etc. There is more nudity on television (although for sex).

But at work recently, there was a product that came in for the cosmetics section (I work in a pharmacy) and part of the display had a side view of a nude woma, from about the chin to just above her crotch, with one breast and nipple fully visible. I was kind of impressed that we put it up, but about 10 minutes after doing so, one of the cosmeticians too a little bow (for wrapping presents) and stuck it on to cover the nipple.

Over the course of the day, it went up and down as people pulled it off and it would get replaced. I thought it was customers maybe just wanting to check it out, but it was actually staff members. A few people in the store got into a discussion about how it was fine without the bow, because it was just a breast, no big deal. Putting a bow on it sexualised it.

In the end, the store manager (a woman) took the bow off and said "grow up". It stayed that was for a day or so, but customers were complaining. Finally, the display was thrown out.

And yet, posters for other products with close-ups old barely-covered 13-year-old bums stay up. I think that the general public doesn't want nudity. They want *suggested* nudity and titilation.

Comment

Originally posted by Agde View Post
                        Counter-Brainwashing:
                        Just for argument's sake, let's say you are a person with a less than perfect body. You cream and exercise and eat right and groom, but still don't look like airbrushed Brad-Jolina. Of course they don't either, but that's beside the point. When you look in the mirror, you still see every imperfection.

Now imagine there is a solidarity network of imperfect people. The network's prime purpose is that when together we imperfect people give each other a break from mirrors. Each person is looking out, not looking at, mutually allowing each other to relax and take a moment just to be what we happen to be at the moment -- a unique blend of experiences, with the face of our ancestors and affectations of our peers, an amalgam of past and future, somewhere on the road between toddler and fossil.

So undo the belt, take off your suit and tie or your outfit and beauty-lift bra or jeans and t-shirt, anything that's been added, get something nice to drink, take a deep breath, feel the air, take another deep breath, feel the pure simplicity of life, smile -- its naturist break time!

Anything like Miller Time??
                        Point to make: Granted, this may be off-topic, but it may fit into this discussion. How come if you see bare breasts, a film gets a R rating...but show penis, and automatically it's NC-17??:confused:
                        Tell me that's not brainwashing...

Comment

Growing up, I always assumed we never saw penises in movies despite seeing breasts fairly often was simply because men were in charge of the studios. Do men generally prefer bare breasts or bare penises?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnabas View Post
                            Growing up, I always assumed we never saw penises in movies despite seeing breasts fairly often was simply because men were in charge of the studios. Do men generally prefer bare breasts or bare penises?
                            This. As an exercise, do a search on Watchmen, and note how many reviews (written by males) complain about how "distracting" Dr. Manhattan's penis was in the movie and how it could have done without it. And anyone who doesn't complain about it is assumed to be gay, because there's no reason a non-homosexual man should be okay with seeing a penis onscreen. This is the accepted societal viewpoint on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Borntobenude View Post
                              This. As an exercise, do a search on Watchmen, and note how many reviews (written by males) complain about how "distracting" Dr. Manhattan's penis was in the movie and how it could have done without it. And anyone who doesn't complain about it is assumed to be gay, because there's no reason a non-homosexual man should be okay with seeing a penis onscreen. This is the accepted societal viewpoint on the matter.
                              I didn't see this movie in theaters, but I did rent it. I have a good sized HDTV at my house, and I barely noticed anything. In fact, I had to actually LOOK for it! If somebody is going to be so upset by such a small thing, probably less than 1% of the screen, I would have to say there's a problem with them somewhere...

Comment

Working...
                              X