Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nude or Naked?

This is a question of terminology.
    Do you make a distinction between the terms nude and naked? I do. I almost think of the term "naked" as a loose term it almost seems like a joke term to me. Where as "nude" rings to me as a much more serious term.
    I.E. "I am relaxing nude." Sounds like a serious statement. "I am relaxing naked." Almost sounds juvenile.

Re: Nude or Naked?

To me, "nude" is when you have your clothes off. "Naked" is what you are when you take your clothes off. Naked is more of a temporary state whereas nude is longer term.

Comment

I am reminded of a beach party I attended when I was a teenager. It turned into a "skinny dip" when someone shouted: "Let's go bare!"

That term still slips into my vocabulary on occasion. "He/she is bare." "I-you-he/she swam bare." etc.

Someone could be "bare-buns", or "Bare-a_ _ nekkid", or "Bear naked"

"Nude" sounds like a painting to me and "naked" reminds me of trees in fall.

Comment

To me, one is born naked, gets naked to have a bath, gets naked to have sex, sees the world with the naked eye and eventually becomes that naked body in the morgue. It is a simple and raw word. There is no pretense to it. To me it speaks of blood, sweat and the messyness of life. No civilization to it. It speaks of a time of the hunt. The time when we lived off the offerings of the Mother Earth. It is a word of the world and for the world.

On the other hand- nude

One has nude pictures taken, sees a nude statue at the Art Gallery, goes to a nude resort and sits on a white towel.......just so............so........la-te-da, crumpets, my dear?
        Last edited by JLS; 09-06-2010, 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Even though there are times I use naked, I prefer nude to describe my state of undress. Naked seems more of a emotional state dressed or not. I have felt "naked" fully clothed when talking about myself, basically being very open and honest about my feelings. When I am nude I am just without clothes, naked is more, as in; "Don't look at me I'm naked!".

Comment

To me, "naked" seems to have more diverse definitions: "It was a naked bike" (meaning it had no faring, bags, etc.) "The room looked naked without furniture" (self explaining) The girl was naked. (wearing no clothes) "Her face was naked." (She wore no makeup)

Where as "nude" means without clothes or references a color that resembles the nude body.

When I look on CraigsList for nude art, I use the work nude versus naked because I end up with so many motorcycle ads with naked......lol.

I am sure there are more examples and some of them may go against my examples. Like previous posters have said/infered..it's kind of a personal choice as to which word they use. I perfer nude.

Comment

Naked is distressed.
              Nude is undressed.

Comment

I don't care what you call it, so long as I get to be it more often.

Comment

"Nude", to me, has a more artistic connotation, while "naked" implies a certain vulnerability, or sense of exposure. It's actually for that reason that I like the word Naked. I feel that being socially naked, one is opening oneself to others and in a sense, allowing oneself to be vulnerable. The implicit trust in such a situation is what I find enjoyable about being naked with others.

Comment

I think naked is just when it is natural and incidental. i.e. showering, in a locker room, having sex, etc.

Nude is the only purpose to be undressed. Someone wants to be unclothed. If there is exhibitionism involved, this is sometimes inappropriate.

I am often naked.

Comment

I agree, I use "Nude" when describing normal wholesome nudity. "Naked" when it is exposed, vulnerable, accidental, streaking, or less than wholesome.

Originally posted by nimrod View Post
                      Even though there are times I use naked, I prefer nude to describe my state of undress. Naked seems more of a emotional state dressed or not. I have felt "naked" fully clothed when talking about myself, basically being very open and honest about my feelings. When I am nude I am just without clothes, naked is more, as in; "Don't look at me I'm naked!".

Comment

"Naked" is when you're not wearing any clothes.

"Nekkid" is when you're not wearing any clothes and you're up to something.

Comment

"Naked" is when you are unclothed.
                          "Nude" is when you don't have any clothes on.
                          "Nekkid" is interchangeable with "Nude" and "Naked".

See how easy that is???

Comment

I wonder if "nude" has a more highbrow tone because it derives from the Latin root "nudus" while "naked" derives from Germanic words such as "nakad" and "nackt". In English language usage, Latin / French words were used by the Norman conquerors (Remember William the Conqueror? He spoke French.) while the conquered Saxons (whose language had Germanic roots) were the lowbrow peasants. French (i.e. French derived Latin) words were the language of the upper classes, while Saxon/Germanic words were used by the masses. That undercurrent continues a full 10 centuries later.

In the dictionary "nude" and "naked" mean the same thing. But in everyday context museum paintings, expensive photos, and art films are "nude" while drunk people who are doing something they shouldn't are "naked".

Or "nekkid."

- gn225

Comment

Originally posted by gn225 View Post
                              I wonder if "nude" has a more highbrow tone because it derives from the Latin root "nudus" while "naked" derives from Germanic words such as "nakad" and "nackt". In English language usage, Latin / French words were used by the Norman conquerors (Remember William the Conqueror? He spoke French.) while the conquered Saxons (whose language had Germanic roots) were the lowbrow peasants. French (i.e. French derived Latin) words were the language of the upper classes, while Saxon/Germanic words were used by the masses. That undercurrent continues a full 10 centuries later.

In the dictionary "nude" and "naked" mean the same thing. But in everyday context museum paintings, expensive photos, and art films are "nude" while drunk people who are doing something they shouldn't are "naked".

Or "nekkid."

- gn225

The same distinction exists in Portuguese. Nu (male) / nua (female) sounds like it's about art or something like that. Pelado/pelada is used by the masses in everyday language. I prefer the latter.

Comment

Working...
                              X