Nude theater via Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nude theater via Internet

"Teatro Oficina" is traveling through Brazil with a repertoire of four plays, which are broadcast live at http://teatroficina.uol.com.br/aovivo

In about an hour (6 PM Brasilia time) is "Baccantes" adapted from Sophocles; tomorrow, same time, is "The Banquet", adapted from Plato.

The company is enormous, over 50 people; the pieces have included use of videocameras and large screens for many years now, so they are quite good at manipulating the technology. And they are really good at what they do, although the pieces tend to run on for four or five hours.

The nudity is extensive. Is it naturist? It does include some very attractive young women, but one piece set in Brazil's Northeast had a women in her 90s dressed in tatters portraying "The Drought", and she was terrifying.

There are also, of course, attractive young men, and quite a few very ordinary people. And they grab audience members and strip them - one is picked to be the bull torn to shreds by the Baccantes.

Not all the nudity in the play is nonsexual, but then again, not all nudity in life is, either. And neither Sophocles nor Plato pretend the world is sexless. Here's a Facebook album of another play they performed in the same city this week, which is roughly typical: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...3977567&page=6

Up there where autumn is far advanced (here it's spring, nyah, nyah, nyah) it may be an interesting option for a lazy Sunday.

The Portuguese-impaired may wish to skim Sophocles beforehand.

- Caipora

Re: Nude theater via Internet

This looks pretty dynamic. From the group's web site I'd guess this is the sort of production that will be very engaging and exciting in person but will deflate by about 90% when reduced to a small rectangle on a computer. Are you going in person?

- gn225

Comment

There are many plays with nude scenes on St. Louis stages. The play I saw this month at the St. Louis Repertory Theater was named "High" where a male took off all his clothes to shock a nun in the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Caipora View Post
        "Teatro Oficina" is traveling through Brazil with a repertoire of four plays, which are broadcast live at http://teatroficina.uol.com.br/aovivo

In about an hour (6 PM Brasilia time) is "Baccantes" adapted from Sophocles; tomorrow, same time, is "The Banquet", adapted from Plato.

The Portuguese-impaired may wish to skim Sophocles beforehand.

- Caipora
        OK, Caipora, I watched this intermittently last night. Very creative, very energetic. Also stark raving crazy. I don't think I could have stood all that high voltage in person for three hours. I don't speak Portuguese which could have been a problem. Also I didn't review Baccantes (by Euripides, not Sophocles) in advance but that may not have been important, since I rather doubt the scene where Fidel Castro wins an Oscar is in the original script.

Can you explain what on earth was going on?

And, was that really a random audience member they dragged down to the stage, stripped naked, and put a bull mask over his head?

- gn225

Comment

Another piece being transmitted right now!

Originally posted by gn225 View Post
          OK, Caipora, I watched this intermittently last night. Very creative, very energetic. Also stark raving crazy.

Can you explain what on earth was going on?

And, was that really a random audience member they dragged down to the stage, stripped naked, and put a bull mask over his head?

- gn225
          Sometimes if someone famous is in the audience they get picked to play the bull, but usually it's just someone random, which was probably the case last night.

There are a number of political in-jokes; last night there was a nude man with a reference to a YouTube hit on the upcoming election lettered down his spine.

Tonight, toward the end, Eros/Cupid is born, and nicks random audience members with his arrows, and pulls them up on the stage in pairs to kiss. He looks much like your standard American Valentine's Day cupid, except the bow is Brazilian Indian, and he doesn't have the white wings - or the coy twist of cloth around his middle.

They've recently issued some plays on DVD, but I don't know if they come with English subtitles or not.

They'll be broadcasting from Rio de Janeiro in November.

- Caipora

Comment

Again this afternoon, and tomorrow

Teatro Oficina's national tour is broadcasting live from Rio de Janeiro this weekend.

The internet address is http://teatroficina.uol.com.br/aovivo

At bit over seven hours from now (18:00 Rio, 3PM U.S. Eastern) is Baccantes; Monday November 15 (a holiday here) is O Banquete, loosely based on a Plato dialogue, same time. These plays last 4 or 5 hours.

While some of the songs are in ancient Greek, the plays are in Portuguese. They are fun to watch even if you can't understand or pick up the local references. There should be a reference tonight to a $2.5 billion hole: this week's headlines are that the group's neighbor, who constantly blocks their theater's windows, apparently had the capital of his bank siphoned out of a different kind of opening ...

The plays call for enormous casts, over 50 actors, but some of the roles are chorus/spear carriers. The company has been holding "workshops" as part of this tour, which anyone can sign up for, and I think some of those who take part are recruited to bulk out the performance. A video of the workshops in Rio is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNV3Q-m4XIY , pay attention about 1:35

Here's a sample set of photos from Banquete: http://www.flickr.com/photos/marandu...76249788341722

According to a post on a Brazilian board, a naturist group asked if they could watch in the nude, and the group saw no problem at all with this. If they go through with it, look to the right of the entrance.

- Caipora
            Last edited by Caipora; 11-14-2010, 04:50 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
            X