Encouraging Female Hikers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encouraging Female Hikers

It`d be nice to see more naked female hikers out and about, perhaps others have ideas how best to encourage more participation? http://www.naktiv.net/newt/2007/imag...-2007-0080.jpg The Naked European Walking Tour welcomes females to request to join one of our alpine walking and camping tours. We're looking forward to hearing from interested parties - http://www.naktiv.net/newt/2011/index.html

Cheers :-)

Rich.

Re: Encouraging Female Hikers

I'm not familiar with other countries, but here in this country safety can be a factor, even for women hiking together clothed. There have been instances in my own state where things have happened.

Comment

The only times I have seen nude female hikers was when they were part of a group that had been meeting regularly for some time. It takes time to build the trust I think. This was several years ago but I think the idea is the same now. Meet with the group for a while and build that trust and friendship and then try to get together for a hike.

Comment

I belong to a freehikers group here in So. Cal. The founder and his wife live at one of our local clubs and put this group together. Though I have YET to be able to participate...from communications from other members...female participation is very limited and I think the most there has been is 2 or 3 females (wives) that participated once or twice this year.

Everytime I try to participate a family issue arose and I couldn't attend. The Prof isn't into hiking, although, we did hike for about an hour and a half into Anza Borrego. We visited DeAnza Springs Resort and had planned to spend the day but the weather was crappy. Very heavy cloud cover and very warm and humid. The Prof said she'd like to return and hike when it's cooler...just gotta find some time in our busy schedules to get there.

How to get more females to participate? Gotta BYO female hiker! As NudeAl stated...as long as nudist females are in a group of other females participating in a function or event, such as freehiking, they'll feel more comfortable.

We have one close friend couple that's into freehiking but they live in Colorado. We've visited and done some hiking but too cold to freehike. We are planning to visit them in the summer and we'll do some freehiking of their area.

Comment

@naturalmanwa - "things have happened" - well, yeah, like people being run over by buses when crossing the road, catching your finger in the door, "things" do happen all the time... Your remark sounds like the judge who passed comment on the *victim* by saying "well, dressed like that what do you expect...?!"

Rich.

Comment

@nudeal - yes, being part of a group is important, that's why i'm organising the NEWT again this year :-)

Although maybe the last time in this format.

@fireprof - BYO Female Hiker - ha ha ha - yes indeed ;-)

Originally posted by FireProf View Post
            I belong to a freehikers group here in So. Cal. The founder and his wife live at one of our local clubs and put this group together. Though I have YET to be able to participate...from communications from other members...female participation is very limited and I think the most there has been is 2 or 3 females (wives) that participated once or twice this year.

Everytime I try to participate a family issue arose and I couldn't attend. The Prof isn't into hiking, although, we did hike for about an hour and a half into Anza Borrego. We visited DeAnza Springs Resort and had planned to spend the day but the weather was crappy. Very heavy cloud cover and very warm and humid. The Prof said she'd like to return and hike when it's cooler...just gotta find some time in our busy schedules to get there.

How to get more females to participate? Gotta BYO female hiker! As NudeAl stated...as long as nudist females are in a group of other females participating in a function or event, such as freehiking, they'll feel more comfortable.

We have one close friend couple that's into freehiking but they live in Colorado. We've visited and done some hiking but too cold to freehike. We are planning to visit them in the summer and we'll do some freehiking of their area.

Comment

Originally posted by richinud View Post
              @naturalmanwa - "things have happened" - well, yeah, like people being run over by buses when crossing the road, catching your finger in the door, "things" do happen all the time... Your remark sounds like the judge who passed comment on the *victim* by saying "well, dressed like that what do you expect...?!"

Rich.
              I really don't care what you think my comment sounds like. I was answering the question about female hikers. A mother and daughter were murdered while hiking in the cascades north of Seattle a couple of years ago and the killer was never found.

My wife and I enjoy the outdoors and camp regularly, nude as much as possible. I am only saying there are reasons to be careful out there, preferable to be in a group.

Comment

That sounds really nasty. I wonder, (if I may be allowed to ask a question without upsetting you in any way), whether the mother and daughter were with a group of naked hikers at the time? or were you just trying to say that females shouldn't go hiking, period, because it's an especially dangerous activity in the good ol' USA. I mean, i'm sure more mothers and daughters are murdered in cities in America than in the mountains and valleys. And if you didn't mean that, but something else I think you should be clearer with your answer. I'm confused by your reply, in that I think I know what you meant, but the way you said it, (whether you care about anyone else's interpretation of your post or not), sounded to me like you were saying naked hiking was dangerous, and women shouldn't do it without armed protection. Which is crazy (imho). Simple fear-mongering is unnecessary, but so very prevalent in online nudist forums, I find. It's easy to scare people away from something new, it's much harder to encourage a healthy and positive activity like naked hiking.

Naked hiking is a great activity, one all the family and friends can enjoy. The times I've been out and been joined by a naked female in the group have been among the most relaxing of times, there's something particularly beneficial about having a mixed group, rather than just having a group of naked old fat guys, all the more so when the ages are mixed too. I think many women are nervous of joining a naked hike, but once they have done so, very often wish to repeat the experience because it's so much fun.

Rich.

Originally posted by naturalmanwa View Post
                I really don't care what you think my comment sounds like. I was answering the question about female hikers. A mother and daughter were murdered while hiking in the cascades north of Seattle a couple of years ago and the killer was never found.

My wife and I enjoy the outdoors and camp regularly, nude as much as possible. I am only saying there are reasons to be careful out there, preferable to be in a group.
                Last edited by richinud; 11-29-2010, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Personally I would say that the murder of a female hiker and her daughter shouldn't deter others from taking up the hobby. How many male hikers were murdered during the same period?

We are a nation of 300 million people & sometimes people get killed. It happened in the 80s, 70s, 60s, 50s, ect. Only because of the 24 hour news cycle do we hear about it today so much. We hear about the one person who was killed, not the other 300 million people who weren't.

Over 40,000 people die in traffic accidents every year in the US but we don't treat the roads like something to be avoided like the plague over safety concerns.

I'd say that a female nudist hiker would probably be safer than most other women on the trails. Truth is that nudists are a tight knit group & if she was stripping down and hiking with a local group they would probably be people who she knew and could trust. Plus if she did go missing many of her friends would know that she left with them & didn't come back. I'd say that's one of the reasons that nudists, despite being a small minority of the population who often don't publicize our affiliation, don't have major problems with predators. It's just too hard to be a predator in a tight group. You step out of line once and everybody knows it. You kill someone and everyone points to you as the most likely suspect.

Comment

Nicely put, Fitz.

Rich.

Originally posted by Fitz1980 View Post
                    I'd say that a female nudist hiker would probably be safer than most other women on the trails.

Comment

Actually, over the years in my experience, hiking has been one of the most natural ways that female friends were introduced to naturism. One kind of weekend group outing has been to hike up to an afternoon picnic spot -- in my younger days, somewhere in the Cascades or Sierras, and nowadays in the Pyrenees, Jura or Alps. Some of us would hike nude from the get-go, others kind of shed clothes along the way, and the route ideally included some skinnydipping opportunity. I know from subsequent conversations that the women really enjoyed. Being on the move, out in nature, among friends, with a destination and multiple opportunies to take off one more thing and progressively get used to the feeling provides a very nice context for working through any initial shyness. As we had families, the kids came along too. One consequence, of course, was that when "back home" being nude around each other during other activities was sort of a non-event.

Comment

One thing you point out Adge is the enviornment that is created in those hikes. If it seems safe, appropriate and fun to hike, or tan, or swim, or whatever nude then more females would participate if they are interested in our favorite pass time. Safety is a pretty big issue, one that should not be ignored in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by vanesa1017 View Post
                          One thing you point out Adge is the enviornment that is created in those hikes. If it seems safe, appropriate and fun to hike, or tan, or swim, or whatever nude then more females would participate if they are interested in our favorite pass time. Safety is a pretty big issue, one that should not be ignored in my opinion.
                          One that can not be ignored in my opinion. Nude hiking is a wonderful experience, but there are many unknowns that can be encountered and someone who has decided to stay in the woods has little interest in being found. We are also encountering a larger amount of dope growers in the national and state forest land than ever before. There will be guys watching these crops, even from a distance. A nude woman alone would be a certain target. I would wonder what bear repellant would do to man? If you know the area very well I would encourage a woman to do a little nude hiking. If you are unfamiliar with the trail than it's not a good idea. Or perhaps it could be a clothed one way and nude return once you have seen the trail. Either way, if you're going to be in the serious back country you should be armed.

Comment

That's why if I go out freehiking nude, I always go out in the company of friends

Comment

There is some excellent advice in this thread. I wanted to write that clothes never really protect anybody from violence, so it doesn't matter if we are talking mainly of encouraging women to Freehike or men. But I do see where someone being observed while nude hiking might "in some cases" cause the observer to form a misconception of what the person is doing. If they proceed to stalk the person, photograph them, or do something more is completely dependent on the deviant or criminal nature of that person.

We can never really know when we MAY be watched while doing what we do, so it is best always behave as if we are being watched, could photographed, or might encounter another person or Park Ranger along the trail. The potential of having to explain one's own behavior, especially for a new naturist or small group of relatively inexperienced Freehikers, might also be a factor that is discouraging people from trying it.

~

Comment

Working...
                              X