Labor Day Aug29-Sep1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor Day Aug29-Sep1

Hey, My wife and I are plannng on spending the Labor Day weekend at our club/resort. They have holiday specials for campers/RV's ect. I am going to take my new telescope to enjoy the Mars exp. (the first time it has been this close in 60,000 years + ) The resort has lots of stuff planned. Hope to see Yall there. I'll be the naked guy with an ausie style hat and costa sunglasses. call me butnaked? or Bob (forshort) web pageGulf Coast Resort
    Happy Trails [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Hey, My wife and I are plannng on spending the Labor Day weekend at our club/resort. They have holiday specials for campers/RV's ect. I am going to take my new telescope to enjoy the Mars exp. (the first time it has been this close in 60,000 years + ) The resort has lots of stuff planned. Hope to see Yall there. I'll be the naked guy with an ausie style hat and costa sunglasses. call me butnaked? or Bob (forshort) web pageGulf Coast Resort
    Happy Trails [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

" the Mars exp. "

Exp? I've been noticing "the Red Planet" closer and closer lately. Can you tell us a little more, or give a link where we can read about it? Thanks.

Comment

MARK AUGUST 27th ON YOUR CALDENDAR
        MARS WILL APPEAR AS BIG AS THE MOON!
        FIRST TIME IN AT LEAST 5,000 YEARS!
        Never again in your lifetime will the Red Planet be so spectacular!

This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars, an encounter that
        will
        culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded
        history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the
        way
        Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can
        only
        be! certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last
        years but it may be as long as 60,000 years.

On August 27, Mars will come within 34,649,589 miles and will be (next
        to

the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a
        magnitude
        of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power
        magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked
        eye!.

Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August, Mars will rise in the
        east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. But by the end of
        August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and
        reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m. That's pretty
        convenient

when it comes to seeing something that no human has seen in recorded
        history. So mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars
        grow
        progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share with your friends, children and grandchildren. No one alive today
        will
        ever see this again!

Comment

Thank you for the information. I'll make a note to bring my telescope along the new time my wife & I go camping.

Comment

Youve got to be kidding.....As big as the full moon?...I think not....I can go along with closest in 5000 yrs maybe......Hey astronomers out there.... tell me this isnt true....Outdoorbare [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by outdoorbare:
              [qb] Youve got to be kidding.....As big as the full moon?...I think not....I can go along with closest in 5000 yrs maybe......Hey astronomers out there.... tell me this isnt true....Outdoorbare [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [/qb]
              You're right -- it isn't. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

However, this IS the closest approach in several thousand years (I've seen estimates from 5000 to 70,000; it's the closest approach in recorded human history, at any rate).

Check out the information at
              Astronomy magazine
              Sky and Telescope magazine
              Astronomy Daily (free registration required)

or any of the NASA information sites related to this apparition of the planet.

If you know someone with a telescope who'll give you a look, it's worth staying up late to see. There's a probably a local astronomy club or university near you that may have a public observing night. Heck, if all else fails, go buy a pair of $19.95 binoculars from Wal-Mart or Kmart and take a look. Even a pair of 10x50s will show some detail on the planet's surface (the south polar ice cap, some of the dark plains areas, maybe clouds or a dust storm). PM me if you want more information.

Good luck!

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by outdoorbare:
                [qb] As big as the full moon?...I think not.... [/qb]
                No, he wasn't kidding, you just have to read the sentence with a little extra scrutiny...
                quote:
                At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye!.
                ...because, to be clear, it needs the word does or appears placed between 'moon' and 'to'.

So, Mars will look as big as the full moon only when you view it through a 75-power lens.

You're welcome! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

That's all good, just don't miss it cause No-BODY will remember us, but this event will be recanted for ever. Spend this event with someone you love and friends that mean real life and carring to you. We hope some of Ya'll (Yousguys) can be with us for labor day week-end. My wife and I will be helping out as we can that week-end and will probably be at the ool side bar to serve up cold beer, sodas and hopefully some good times. Notice there is no P in our pool, lets keep it that way. Come see the nutz we are, looking forward to seeing Ya'llllll. Gulf Coast Resort But if you can not join us get a telescope, get in the dark and enjoy Labor Day. Happy Trails

Comment

Moboy... Thanks for the clarification....I actually reread the post after replying and caught my mistake about the 75 power....but the headline stated ..."appears as big as the moon"...Outdoorbare

Comment

Wow! August 27 will definitely be a time for some serious star-watching!

Comment

The whole end of summer will be great sky watching when skys are clear. Remember, better naked and even better naked with a good Telescope and good friends and family. We are really looking foward to Labor Day week-end at the club Where we are members [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] Happy Trails.

Comment

Mars is ALREADY quite large. You don't have to wait until the 27th. Any clear night will do!This is the closest that Mars has been in almost 60,000 years. Certainly since people started thinking about stuff "up there". Personally, I think 100 power should define a lot of the features we all wish to see. I am hoping for clear weather (in Florida) the weekend of the 22-24th. My astronomy group is having a MARS03 star party in the Chassahowitzka National Preserve. I will post the announcement here later. Anyone wishing more infor can email me here.
                          Does Gulf Coast Resort have flat open ground there? I may have to check that out as well.

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by FLslimguy:
                            [qb] Mars is ALREADY quite large. You don't have to wait until the 27th. Any clear night will do!This is the closest that Mars has been in almost 60,000 years. Certainly since people started thinking about stuff "up there". Personally, I think 100 power should define a lot of the features we all wish to see. I am hoping for clear weather (in Florida) the weekend of the 22-24th. My astronomy group is having a MARS03 star party in the Chassahowitzka National Preserve. I will post the announcement here later. Anyone wishing more infor can email me here.
                            Does Gulf Coast Resort have flat open ground there? I may have to check that out as well. [/qb]
                            Hi Flslimguy, I would like to know more about your astronomy group and the plans for Aug. 22-24, as I am new to sky watching. In answer about Gulf Coast Resort there is an area in the park, double tenns courts and other rec. sites ajoining. I suggest a stop by to check it out. To save space here I have added a link to thier Web. site above for further information and directions. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] Happy Trails

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by butnaked:
                              [qb]...there is an area in the park, double tenns courts and other rec. sites ajoining.[/qb]
                              One suggestion: steer clear of paving while stargazing; the heat rising off the surface makes for lousy seeing. You're much better advised to set up on grass and try not to look over paved areas or buildings.

Comment

Working...
                              X