No announcement yet.

Clothing Optional Beaches: A Bad thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothing Optional Beaches: A Bad thing?

I just returned from nearly two weeks in So. Florida visiting friends and family. I had a great time and I especially visited Haulover beach. I went about 5x while I was in FL.

As I always experience at nude beaches, I was bothered by the amount of clothed people in the nude section. I experience this every time I go to Haulover & Sandy Hook in NJ.

On busy weekends, I guesstimated that a little more than half of the people on the beach were clothes. It is either that or it was 50/50. Throughout my time, I kept asking myself over and over, why make the effort to come here if you aren't going to be nude? In whatever direction you travel to get to Haulover beach, one passes many beaches but I have to ask, why this one if you aren't going to be nude? I am pretty sure the answer has to do with voyeurism but even I thought the effort to come down to gawk was a waste of time considering many of those who were nude should keep their clothes on and many who were clothed I rather see nude as they had beautiful bodies (yes, I know naturism isn't to gawk but I do admire a toned and fit body and can admire it without any sexual connotation). I couldn't help but feel a sense of annoyance and resentment towards the clothed visitors. Although they are within their rights to be at the beach but why make all the effort to come to Haulover and pay the $ when you aren't going to be nude? There are so many other beaches and free too.

I experienced the same thing last summer when I went to Sandy Hook. I had not visited Sandy in few years and I was shocked at the change in such few short years. When I visited Sandy hook frequently while living in NYC, it was mostly a nude beach. Clothed people were the minority. Today, it is completely different story with clothed people either being the majority or equal to the nude visitors. Again, why would anyone make that effort to come to Sandy, esp. considering it can be a ***** to come to Sandy Hook. If you are coming from NYC and not driving you have to take the train, ferry, and a school bus and you may even have to wait as much as 45 minutes for that bus. If you are driving, traffic to Sandy Hook can be gut wrenching if you don't travel at the right time. Yet people are willing to deal with all of that just to see naked bodies?

I theorize that once a nude beach becomes "mainstream" (i.e. the general public finds out about it), more clothed people will visit. My fear is that sooner or later, the beach will become majority clothed.

So here is my question. Can we make a beach NUDE ONLY? Is there danger in making a beach c/o?
    Last edited by Croydon; 04-12-2011, 05:36 AM.

Re: Clothing Optional Beaches: A Bad thing?

Originally posted by Croydon View Post
    I am pretty sure the answer has to do with voyeurism but even I thought the effort to come down to gawk was a waste of time considering many of those who were nude should keep their clothes on .......
    Did you really mean to say that? It's pretty abhorrent.

Comment

Let me caution everyone before we get off the original topic and get off on the path to "who should and who shouldn't" be nude.

Thanks...stay on topic!
      Last edited by FireProf; 04-12-2011, 08:09 AM.

Comment

NOW...

To answer the question; Sure, I think we should be able to designate a "nude area only" of a beach...even a public beach. Aren't there "clothed mandatory" sections! LOL

In all seriousness...I can't see why we couldn't or why the Ambassadors of Haulover or regulars at Sandy Hook don't make up flyers to give to those clothed on the nude section and explain that their being clothed on a nude section is upsetting and uncomfortable to those that have fought for their right to use that beach in the nude and they have plenty of other beach to use...why use this particular one. Further more...they will be watched closely for cameras and ANY acts or activity the nudists feel is inappropriate and the authorties will be called and they will file a complaint.

Haulover is different than our beach...we don't have a "legal" nude beach, we don't have Ambassadors...only regulars and sometimes...the regulars can just turn their heads. The Ambassadors carry lots of weight and can easily recruit some regulars to assist in handing out these flyers in hopes to lessen the amount of "voyuers/gawkers." Most of these people don't like confrontation, being "found out" or noticed and some will leave when that happens. Since it's a public beach...it would be difficult, if not impossible, to keep them out or to require them to be nude...but the nudists really need to ban together and mildly confront some of these people as to why they are there and if they aren't going to get nude and enjoy the beach...they should leave to a part of the beach where there are others that are dressed as they are.

Comment

I will be on Haulover Beach next week. I will be with my wife who is not a nudist. I will be naked and she will not. I don't see anything wrong with that. We do the same thing on Gunnison beach in Sandy Hook and at Orient Beach in St. Maarten. I thought this is what clothing optional is all about!! I wish she could go to nudist resorts with me, as I really enjoy her company. GB

Comment

I think the best way to go about it is to let them be.
            I guess someone who isn't going to be nude at a nude section of a beach, will leave soon and my guess is they won't come back.
            You can be a gawker, ogler, voyuerist around dressed people. My wife hates those men who "undress you with their eyes" at meetings, parties or whatever occassion.
            Let's not make their day, just pretend they are not there.
            I personally was at a beach in Barcelona once, not excactly a nude beach but anyone can be nude or clothed or something in between at any beach in Barcelona. Those of us who were naked were a small minority in that part of the beach, and the rest couldn't care less. If they have a problem, it is their problem, not ours.

Comment

Now this really IS interesting.

ForeProf says:

explain that their being clothed on a nude section is upsetting and uncomfortable to those that have fought for their right to use that beach in the nude and they have plenty of other beach to use...why use this particular one.
              BUT 78828892 says:

Those of us who were naked were a small minority in that part of the beach, and the rest couldn't care less. If they have a problem, it is their problem, not ours.
              So it's wrong for textiles to make nudists feel uncomfortable on nude beaches, but if textiles have a problem with nudity on a non-nudist beach, that's their problem.

Anyone else see the double standards here?

I would NEVER go to a nudist beach because I am not prepared to get nude and I agree with FireProf that there I have no justification for making nudists uncomfortable because are plenty of textile beaches I can use. But some nudists don't think they have any obligation to return that consideration. Then they wonder why nudism is not receiving widespread public respect and consideration it deserves. If you want respect, you have to give respect.

Stu

Comment

This is for Stu: you just misunderstood what I wrote: Beaches in Barcelona, (and I believe in Spain, as I think it is the case in Sweeden, correct me if I'm wrong) are all clothes optional. That means that you can be naked at ANY BEACH in Barcelona.
                I was there for just one afernoon, so I'm not sure if that beach always had people naked, never had, or it just happened that when I was there there were some people naked, some not, but most were not. And everybody seemed comfortable with that arrangement. People (males and females) walking naked in the beach, even one elderly gentleman testing his artifitial leg, with crutches, walking nude. And nobody seemed to care. I'm a nudist and always try to get naked, but if I hadn't seen people naked in that beach, I wouldn't have gotten naked myself, or if I had seen something that would inidcate that nudity was not allowed.
                Having been a nudist all my life, I'm very respectful of people who don't want to be around naked people, and I assume they wouldn't go to a clothes opitonal beach.

Comment

Wait a minute Stu...

We are talking about a legal nude beach where textiles have converged onto this section and are now setting up shop as though they now want this part of the beach as well....What...the other miles and miles of beach in this area aren't as good as the nude section?

I've always agreed with you that nudists shouldn't make others feel uncomfortable but that there is plenty of beach to go around and can be shared by both textiles and nudists...but the textiles, like you, don't see it that way. Now...in this instance...they are now taking up space on the nude section to sit and gawk. These nudists on Haulover aren't taking their nudity to the textile section....why is it these particular nudists are thought to be disresectful and but the clothed visitors are not?

Give the respect/no respect issue a rest. The vast majority of nudists are respectful but most textiles are not respectful of the need and want of nudists to have a fraction of the areas, textiles have, to enjoy nudity outside. WE want respect but you always find ways to twist the situation so you can try and prove otherwise.

Comment

Further more...

Croydon was relaying a recent visit to a legal nude beach. One that has been in existance for quite some time, one that was proved to be a benefit to the nudists in the area, vacationing nudists and a income making public beach for the city and county.

There was NO mention that a couple couldn't go to this beach and HAD to be nude. But why would a couple or single male/female go to a nude beach and remain clothed the entire time???

gb states: I will be on Haulover Beach next week. I will be with my wife who is not a nudist. I will be naked and she will not. I don't see anything wrong with that. We do the same thing on Gunnison beach in Sandy Hook and at Orient Beach in St. Maarten. I thought this is what clothing optional is all about!! I wish she could go to nudist resorts with me, as I really enjoy her company. GB

This happens all the time. A couple goes to the nude beach and one or the other remains clothed...but not both of them remaining clothed the entire time. If that's what they wanted to do...then there are lots of other places on this particular beach to do that...why go to the nude section? Nudists are so non-understanding that we don't know reluctance when we see it. That's the reason for clothing optional but...there's a difference in what Croydon witnessed and is explaining in his original post.

Don't take this thread in a direction it wasn't intended or make this yet another thread on why is it that... "nudists want to impose their nudity on non-nudists."

Comment

I think that the best way to solve the problem is to make all beaches c/o, then there would no longer be the feeling that it is "our" or "their" beach, it would just be the beach. Let those who wish not to see nudity be the ones to petition and go out of their way to get a segregated section. Will I deliberately go out of my way to make someone feel uncomfortable? No, but neither will I not be myself and be nude if I wish to be, if someone does not like it that is their own proplem that they need to get help with.

Comment

I have not been to Sandy Hook in a long time. But I remember people there feeling upset by the fact that others would show up just to gawk at the people just trying to have a nice relaxing dat at the beach.

Guess things do change over time.

Comment

Quote by "FireProf"
                          Further more...they will be watched closely for cameras and ANY acts or activity the nudists feel is inappropriate and the authorties will be called and they will file a complaint.
                          If it's deemed public property, or a public nude or clothing optional beach they really can't do anything, as there is no expectation of privacy.

It's not illegal to have a camera or to take pictures on a public nude, clothing optional, or clothed public beach with or without permission.

Comment

This is for Stu: you just misunderstood what I wrote: Beaches in Barcelona, (and I believe in Spain, as I think it is the case in Sweeden, correct me if I'm wrong) are all clothes optional. That means that you can be naked at ANY BEACH in Barcelona.
                            That is a misunderstanding on all counts. With regard to Spain, the Spanish naturists have been falsely claiming some Constitutional right to public nudity for some time. There is no such right - the right to "free expression" does not, in the opinion of most Spanish Constitutional lawyers, encompass public nudity. There is no national law against public nudity, but there are local laws (ordnances) in various parts of Spain which restricts it. Such a law has recently been instituted in Barcelona itself, and I believe something has also been introduced in Cadiz just last year about this.

Here in Sweden, there is no right to go nude on any beach if there is a risk that doing so will cause offence. It is a civil offence to behave in any public place a manner which could reasonably be foreseen to cause disgust or outrage, or to persist in such behaviour having been warned to cease. It's a little looser in neighbouring Denmark, where actual offence has to be caused by the presence of nudity in close proximity (which has been estimated by the police as being closer than 200 metres).

Having been a nudist all my life, I'm very respectful of people who don't want to be around naked people, and I assume they wouldn't go to a clothes opitonal beach.
                            Quite right. I stay away from traditionally naturist beaches and you stay away from, or at least keep your swimwear on at, textile beaches. Everyone is happy.

FireProf

I've always agreed with you that nudists shouldn't make others feel uncomfortable but that there is plenty of beach to go around and can be shared by both textiles and nudists...but the textiles, like you, don't see it that way.
                            I see it that way. I agree with you 100%. I just wish all textiles AND naturists shared our view on this.

nimrod

I think that the best way to solve the problem is to make all beaches c/o
                            I'm sure you do. I know some Muslims who think the best way to solve many of the world's problems would be to introduce global Sharia law.

Let those who wish not to see nudity be the ones to petition and go out of their way to get a segregated section.
                            When nudists become the majority, then you might have a fair point. But they are a very TINY minority.

but neither will I not be myself and be nude if I wish to be, if someone does not like it that is their own proplem that they need to get help with.
                            Quite right. And I would seek such help. From the police.

As FireProf says, there is plenty of beach space to go around

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by NakedGary View Post
                              Quote by "FireProf"

If it's deemed public property, or a public nude or clothing optional beach they really can't do anything, as there is no expectation of privacy.

It's not illegal to have a camera or to take pictures on a public nude, clothing optional, or clothed public beach with or without permission.
                              Get with the program Gary...though I mentioned the camera issue...it's NOT what this topic is about. Furthermore...regardless of it being a public beach or not...I suspect ANYONE would have an issue with some stranger taking your picture whether you're clothed or NOT!

Comment

Working...
                              X