To FireProf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To FireProf

I know this is off topic, but I am curious if FireProf stands for fire proffessor as in a teacher in a Fire Academy. If so I am curious if you know any info on Paramedic Programs in So Cal.

I know this is off topic, but I am curious if FireProf stands for fire proffessor as in a teacher in a Fire Academy. If so I am curious if you know any info on Paramedic Programs in So Cal.

Comment

To toofeelgood,

You are real close, but no I am not a "Fire Academy Professor". Been asked to teach at one because of my profession.

Paramedic programs in So. Cal:

There are many, usually through local Community Colleges. Santa Ana College, Rio Hondo College, and many others.

Some fire departments have their own paramedics and sponsor you as a firefighter/EMT for paramedic school. There are a couple of paramedic schools, Paramedic Institute at Harbor General Hospital in Torrance and Daniel Freeman Hospital has a school here in So. Cal.

Hope this answers some questions, any more just ask and I'll do my best to answer or steer you in the right direction. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the info... I have been an EMT for years, do you think 30 something is to old to go for a paramedic career?

Thanks again!

Comment

To toofeelgood,

Not at all. There have been several male candidates that have changed their jobs in their early 40's and have applied with the fire department and then have requested paramedic school.

The following info is if you are interested in becoming a Firefighter/Paramedic:

On some departments you must be a firefighter first. If you are not already a EMT, then you are trained to become certified with the state. If you are a EMT then you do other things while your class mates are in EMT Class.

If you are a licensed paramedic in the state, you assist with the EMT class, with things like practical skills test preparation. When you graduate from the firefighter academy from that particular department you must pass probation and then you can request to reactivate your paramedic status. When the department grants you the re-activation, you ride along with two licensed paramedics for 5 - 24hrs shifts. If they feel you are qualified then they submit the paperwork and the department agrees to sponsor you and your license is re-activated.

This is not the case if you want to be a paramedic with a private ambulance company.

Hope this info is helpful. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X