Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping DE/MD

Howdy All,

Just wondering...I have been reading a lot lately about the joys of finding remote areas that you can camp in (such as backpack or boat-in). I was wondering if anyone knew of any areas like this in DE or Eastern Shore MD.

Assateague, for example, has boat-in and hike in areas but I am not sure if they would be far too "marshy" and therefore have far too many insect problems. I realize that insects are an issue whenever you camp outdoors, but I know Assateague very well as a textile tourist and the bugs in the marshy areas can be a real "bugger" sometimes.

So has anyone any ideas or has anyone tried camping au natural in the bay side of Assateague?

Thanks!

You might wait until August to camp there. the later into August you go the fewer bugs you will encounter. Is the same way in Maine. The bugs need to mate and most do so in June and July. By August they are done and the elder sect have been either eaten or died. September may be even better!

Comment

You might try looking at this site: www.Hikingnaked.com

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by Rabid_Clam:
        You might wait until August to camp there. the later into August you go the fewer bugs you will encounter. Is the same way in Maine. The bugs need to mate and most do so in June and July. By August they are done and the elder sect have been either eaten or died. September may be even better!

Thanks! I never thought about September, the water would be warmer as well.

Comment

I have been out on Asseateague many times in the early fall-often well into October (Indian summer!). That is a great time to explore the place and you may even have the entire seashore to yourself. Enjoy

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by justnude:
            I have been out on Asseateague many times in the early fall-often well into October (Indian summer!). That is a great time to explore the place and you may even have the entire seashore to yourself. Enjoy

I agree, that time of year is better and I would certainly be better off if I hold off until after the Labor Day holiday. I also plan on going midweek too instead of a weekend.

Comment

Working...
            X