Clothes, and clothes compulsion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothes, and clothes compulsion

What everybody seems to forget to do here is to make the clear distinction between clothes and clothes compulsion.

Clothes are good. They are an essential part of all civilizations. They protect us from the elements, enhance our ability to perform tasks, convey social messages, enhance our physical appearance. They are an extension of our body and our minds, a part of our technology and culture.

Clothes compulsion is bad. It is defined as the inability to not wear clothes, under most circomstances, even when it makes absolutely no sense to wear anything, even at the risk of our own life.

A man almost died in my town last week. His house caught fire while he was in the shower in his basement. As he walked up the stairs to exit his house, he realized he was naked. The door was just beside him. Instead of walking through it and out to safety, he proceeded to walk to his bedroom, through a smoke filled hallway, stumbling and caughing all the way, put on a robe, walk back through the same smoke filled hallway, stumble to the ground, crawl the last few meters to the door, open it and barely make it out alive. He had to be rushed to the hospital for severe smoke inhalation. Luckily, he is now ok.

What he did was uterly and totally stupid. There is no polite way to put it. If he had walked out the door naked in the first place, he would not have put himself in any danger. He would have been standing naked in the street for only a few minutes, until friends and neighbors had rushed to his aid and given him a blanket or robe to put on. To avoid a few minutes of embarassement, he nearly lost his life.

Is this the mark of an "advanced" and "civilized" human being ?

What everybody seems to forget to do here is to make the clear distinction between clothes and clothes compulsion.

Clothes are good. They are an essential part of all civilizations. They protect us from the elements, enhance our ability to perform tasks, convey social messages, enhance our physical appearance. They are an extension of our body and our minds, a part of our technology and culture.

Clothes compulsion is bad. It is defined as the inability to not wear clothes, under most circomstances, even when it makes absolutely no sense to wear anything, even at the risk of our own life.

A man almost died in my town last week. His house caught fire while he was in the shower in his basement. As he walked up the stairs to exit his house, he realized he was naked. The door was just beside him. Instead of walking through it and out to safety, he proceeded to walk to his bedroom, through a smoke filled hallway, stumbling and caughing all the way, put on a robe, walk back through the same smoke filled hallway, stumble to the ground, crawl the last few meters to the door, open it and barely make it out alive. He had to be rushed to the hospital for severe smoke inhalation. Luckily, he is now ok.

What he did was uterly and totally stupid. There is no polite way to put it. If he had walked out the door naked in the first place, he would not have put himself in any danger. He would have been standing naked in the street for only a few minutes, until friends and neighbors had rushed to his aid and given him a blanket or robe to put on. To avoid a few minutes of embarassement, he nearly lost his life.

Is this the mark of an "advanced" and "civilized" human being ?

Comment

Soleil Nu...exactly

That is what I have attempted to put forth. Clothing is for all the reasons you stated.

I do feel that clothing is unnecessary for most of our daily lives and that it conveys erroneous and negative ideas and ideals sometimes...the most common assumptin that a woman in a "tight outfit" is asking for "it" (whatever "it" is supposed to be) is but one of the downsides to clothing---of course, in some minds, a nude woman is asking for "it" as well, so that might not be a good analogy after all.

Your story of the man who almost killed himself by going further into his home to put on clothing before exiting the burning structure is a sad commentary...to die rather than been seen as the human you are... Suicide for others...
      The friends and neighbors if they were true friends and neighbors would rush to aid and not notice the nudity. Offering a blanket or robe is just good practice...trauma and shock can be after effects of such an experience even without the prolonged exposure to the flames and smoke he endured going for his clothing.

To answer your last question: NO this is NOT the mark of an "advanced" and "civilized" human being. It unfortunately is the mark of a immoral and barbaric society that forces a rational person to do something so patently irrational out of fear of "being seen naked".

Comment

If wearing clothes is civilized, call me wild--as often as possible! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah I mean in this situation you gotta think about what is more important, your dignity or your life and in this case the guy shouldve just ran outside naked and forgot about his clothing. People wouldve understood in this case because it was an emergency and the guy wouldnt have gotten in trouble because he had a legitimate excuse.

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by MichaelJB:
            [qb] Yeah I mean in this situation you gotta think about what is more important, your dignity or your life [/qb]
            What's "undignified" about being in one's natural state of existence? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

"In nakedness I behold the majesty of the essential instead of the trappings of pretension." ? Horatio Greenough

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by Borntobenude:
              What's "undignified" about being in one's natural state of existence? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
              [/QB]
              I think it's just a matter of dignity in the eyes of others. Seeing as most people view it as undignified to be nude in public, and since the guy was most likely not a nudist (any of us would have just dashed, as mentioned), dignity in his own eyes, also, because most people find it undignified to run out in public naked.

Not how it should be, but it just is.

Comment

The dignity part I meant by the guy has to think about what is more important, feeling the need to be modest and possibly being killed or just running out the door naked and saving his life. I think that he should screw his so called dignity and just run outside naked and be safe. An emergency is no time for modesty.

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by tigerwong:
                  [qb] I think it's just a matter of dignity in the eyes of others. Seeing as most people view it as undignified to be nude in public, and since the guy was most likely not a nudist (any of us would have just dashed, as mentioned), dignity in his own eyes, also, because most people find it undignified to run out in public naked.[/qb]
                  Ah...yes, I understand. It's more dignified to die in a fire rather than to live and be seen nude in public...

Comment

During the Anthrax scare, I recall a news story where there was a poll, the result of which mentioned that people who were exposed to the powder would still be reluctant to remove their clothes and get the Anthrax away from them. They would rather die than get the poisonous powder off their body.

Avoiding nudity, even if the result could be death, is a sign of a mental disorder. I hope that man gets some help.

Bob S.

Comment

The Western Australian State Health Dept regularly expresses concern at the substantial number of people who do not have periodical health checks such as mammograms, pap smears and prostate cancer examinations.

The dept recognises that one of the main reasons for this reluctance to seek timely medical intervention for potentially fatal diseases is shame and embarrassment at their own body.

They commission expensive advertising programs which say, in effect, don't be embarrassed, your doctor has seen it all before. Of course, some don't listen and may die as a result.

What kind of a brain-washed ill-informed society needs this kind of advice to start with?

Comment

"Instead of walking through it and out to safety, he proceeded to walk to his bedroom, through a smoke filled hallway, stumbling and caughing all the way, put on a robe, walk back through the same smoke filled hallway, stumble to the ground, crawl the last few meters to the door, open it and barely make it out alive."

To be honest, I would probably have done the same thing. I suppose the moral of the story is that people like us should always be within arms reach of something to wear - I certainly am!

Don't be too judgemental about him. He did what many people would do. The thought of strangers and neighbours seeing you naked is unbearable for many of us - and we'd risk life and limb to avoid it.

And Rex, I cannot envisage letting any doctor near MY prostate - not whilst I draw breath, anyway!

Stu

Comment

Bob s. you are correct the actions of the man in the story are the actions of a mentally ill individual...though it may be a conditioned response due to a mentally ill social and cultural climate in his case, not knowing him by his words and actions other than this instance we can not tell. It however, is painfully obivious that others posting within these forums are suffering or maybe enjoying mental illness

Comment

You have all overlooked something here. If he was in the shower he had a towel with him to dry off with. Why didn't he just wrap the towel around himself?

Comment

Irrational thinking due to panic maybe, Cindiann, you are right however I had not thought about a towel that most would have by the shower to use when finished showering. Thanks for pointing that minor but important detail out...its the minor details that kill you in the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X