Bay to Breakers, San Fran 05.21.06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay to Breakers, San Fran 05.21.06

Looking forward to participating in this years Bay to Breakers, but won't be with the largest "organized" group as they have some varied opinions about nudity and who should participate and why; Is there anyone participating that feels there should be no restrictions as to why a nudist chooses this lifestyle and that there should be no restrictions on who participates? I'm looking for som fun-minded people that believe nudism is freedom and that everyone should be open to enjoying the lifestyle. I just thought it might be interesting to share the walk and enjoy the day with like-minded people, or if nothing else to meet and say hello and that it might be nice to get a small group of CFI members together (if there are any others) hitting the streets that day!

Kevin

Looking forward to participating in this years Bay to Breakers, but won't be with the largest "organized" group as they have some varied opinions about nudity and who should participate and why; Is there anyone participating that feels there should be no restrictions as to why a nudist chooses this lifestyle and that there should be no restrictions on who participates? I'm looking for som fun-minded people that believe nudism is freedom and that everyone should be open to enjoying the lifestyle. I just thought it might be interesting to share the walk and enjoy the day with like-minded people, or if nothing else to meet and say hello and that it might be nice to get a small group of CFI members together (if there are any others) hitting the streets that day!

Kevin

Comment

nakeddenver,

I think you have two separate organizations confused.

Bay to Breakers is an annual clothed foot race that does not allow, promote or sanction nude participation in a foot race from the bay to the breakers.

Facts:

• 1986: With 78,769 registered runners and 110,000 total participants, the Guinness Book of World Records awards Bay to Breakers the title of World's Largest Footrace.

• 2005: With a finishing time of 38:22, Asmae Leghzaoui (Morocco) set a new women's world record and bested our course record, set by Delillah Asiago (Kenya) in 1995, by one second.

Bay to Breakers Organization Link

Bare to Breakers is another Organization which promotes with police notification a nude protest or demonstration along the race path only during the actual foot race and on the same route and path as the as the clothed race from 8 AM on race day until 11:30 or the first crosses the finish line. Nude runners are a small percentage of the total participants.

Bare to Breakers Organization Link

Comment

I ran in the Bay to Breakers seven times, but unfortunately haven't been around to do it for the last three years. As NakedGary said the nude runners/walkers are just a tiny percentage of the total crowd. They are, however, popular with both other runners and by the large crowd that lines the entire 7.5 mile course.

The whole event always strikes me as a big happy rolling block party going down the street. There are always whole families participating together. Nude runners get lots of cheers early in the course, but later on the novelty wears off and people hardly even notice the nudes.

The Bare to Breakers organization does attempt to establish some rules of conduct so as to protect the privilege of nude participation. Where else in the US can you run or walk nude in broad daylight for 7.5 miles/12 kilometers through the streets of a major city while tens of thousands gather to watch? It wouldn't take many bad apples to end that privilege.

Comment

Hi NakedGary,

Bay to Breakers is the event but Bare to Berakers is the group I approached; The contact with Bare to Breakers had some distinct views about nudism and suggested that maybe I shouldn't participate in the event simply because I had a tattoo and a piercing. I thought nudism was for everyone and not to be taken too seriously, maybe that is why so many people who might enjoy this as one aspect of their lifestyle don't participate.

In any event I believe (as a nudist) that I should judge no one based on any aspect of their life if they wish to live it nude, and am looking forward to participating anyway and experiencing the freedom that so many of us wish we had on a daily basis!

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by nakeddenver:
            .... maybe I shouldn't participate in the event simply because I had a tattoo and a piercing...

That's too bad. However, I'd like to hear thier side of the story. Is your tattoo of two people congregating in an explicitly sexual manner? Is your "piercing" a 5 pound deadbolt rammed through your penis (or something other than a simple nipple ring that otherwise garners attention to your genetalia)?

I strongly suspect there is another side to the story...

Comment

No matter what jewelry you have, there's probably going to be someone else that outdoes you. But do try to see the other side.

Out of the seven times I've run in that event I've seen exactly one person who I thought was out of line. He was wearing ostentateous penis jewelry, and it was extremely obvious in his actions that he was directing attention to his genitals. There are reasons why people run shy of genital jewelry.

Comment

I went and had a blast. Who the F cares what you look like or what you have pierced?! I hope you didn't let that stop you. I for one like ink and steel (though I have none myself).

Didn't see very many nudes though, prob due to the weather at the start. Me and my friends were a hit the whole race. Even had a paparazzi moment near the end when we stopped for some pics in front of the waterfall.

Anyone got any pics from the event?

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by ultraaman:
                  Anyone got any pics from the event?

There are some starting to appear on blogs, like these excellent pics from Michael Steele in San Fransisco. With thanks to the original photgrapher.
                  Cheers, Mrbee

Comment

Thanks to Michael Steele

Comment

Thanks to Michael Steel

Comment

heh, cool. thanks. that's me a few buds. i'm the dork in the orange glasses

Comment

Thanks to all that posted something favorable; I ran the race and had a great time - official time was 1:54:06, 12,844th out of 62,0000+ participants - it took me 30 minutes to get to the starting line and I walked the first mile just to get a feel for what the event was like - next year I hope to break an hour.

The comments on the course were all positive and I never encountered anything negative other than be classified as "an exhibitionist instead of a nudist" by on passer-by, but who has time to argue when you are running against the clock?

Just to make a note - my tattoos are not a depiction of anything; they are black tribal works on my arm and opposing leg and do not encounter my genitalia at any time, as questioned in an earlier post; I agree that piercing can be perceived as sexual in nature and had already decided to remove them (although they are smaller and are not within the 5-pound range) so nothing in my appearance screamed "look at me" anymore than any other person who was nude at this event. While I RAN the race I encountered people that did have their piercing in, people that chose to remove all of their body hair (effectively highlighting their genitals), men that were sporting erections, women that allowed men or other women to touch them in public and groups that were eliciting attention by being naked for nothing other than the chance to act as exhibitionists and be photographed, all while standing in the middle of what is labeled a race. It seems that this is acceptable yet my choice to make some modifications to my appearance for personal decisions divide the group down the center as to whether my body is offensive or not.

I had hopes that nudists in general were more liberal as well as being more supportive and tolerant of one another, hence my reason for joining organizations such as CFI, only to learn that we are just as fractured and judgmental as those around us that look down upon nudists. I can see that by joining CFI I reap no benefits of being in contact with people that I felt were like-minded; instead it appears that CFI members on the whole still feel that there are acceptable and unacceptable nudists where those that fit into one category are ok and those that fit into all other categories are not and shouldn't be considered an active voice of the organization.

Thank you again to all that took the time to participate in this thread and appreciate the insight that it has provided me.

Kevin

Comment

CFI's 2006 Temporary Holding Photo Album for the Bay & Bare To Breakers race is at this link below, and is open for Submissions for inclusion later into the Photo's of Freedom POF section of over 9,000 Nudist and Naturist Images.

2006 Bay & Bare To Breakers Temp. Photo Album Open for Submissions

Comment

The Bare2Breakers was a blast. Had a great time. Initially I was going to run it but changed plans after I injured my hip. Even so, I finished in 2:22:39.

It was all great fun and my most memorable moment was when I got a playful slap on my cheek by a young woman as she ran past me.

I plan to go again.

And I saw plenty of men with tatoos and piercings. Just as there are many different body types there are also many different ways to adorn the body. It is the diversity among us that makes life so interesting. As a group, as a society, we need to embrace each other's uniquiness and not try to make everyone conform to a certain standard.

Enough from the soap-box.

I encourage everyone to get out next year and participate in the Bare-to-Breakers, or just come out and participate nude. What a fun time it was.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X