Fake Tans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Tans!

Anybody use solariums?, a suntan centre near my office has offer on a moment 30 pence a minute, know not suppost to be good for you but once in a while should not hurt? Hate being so pale!

Anybody use solariums?, a suntan centre near my office has offer on a moment 30 pence a minute, know not suppost to be good for you but once in a while should not hurt? Hate being so pale!

Comment

Hi barebum,
      I've done the tanning booth route. It's nice to get some winter color but I never feel it's a "real" tan. I notice that when I use the tanning bed and then lay in the sun, my tan doesn't seem as nice or last as long. I've decided I'm going to have to stand being white this winter, no tanning. I do fear that those rays are even more harmful than the natural ones from the sun. And I have enough wrinkles!

Comment

Its been quite a while since I used one of those places, and I admit that I've been thinking of doing so again, but I'll think twice after reading the previous posts.

Tanning aside, I used to find my 30 minutes quite therapeutic, and relaxing.

Pete Knight

Comment

Hey Barebum,

I have on occasion used tanning booths to even out the tan. I'm always concerned about how well the beds are cleaned (from someone elses sweat) so I opt for the stand up booth. Also, since my tan is usually gained while standing up, if I use a bed I usually get burnt on the bottom of my butt and crotch area - so be carefull!

Comment

I certainly can understand with wanting to appear tan, but do be careful if you decide to go the indoor route. There's considerable evidence that tanning salons can cause skin cancer, skin aging, and other unpleasant side effects. Better to be pale than to have skin cancer!

Comment

If you just want a tan, or to even out your tan, there is the spray on 'fake tan' option. Many tanning salons now offer a 'mist tan', and a few of the better ones offer an airbrush tan applied by an attendant - which should result in the best coverage and 'evenage'. Spray on tans chemically darken skin proteins, so they are 'permanent' until the skin wears off. Much safer than UV tanning, but offer no sun protection, so continue to use sunscreen with both UVA and UVB protection.

-Mark

Comment

quote:
                I certainly can understand with wanting to appear tan, but do be careful if you decide to go the indoor route. There's considerable evidence that tanning salons can cause skin cancer, skin aging, and other unpleasant side effects. Better to be pale than to have skin cancer!

I wonder how many of those women 18-30 also tanned out of doors. Did the women who didn't tan indoors even tan at all?

I wonder if the controlled dosage of indoor tanning might make it safer...provided you never tanned out of doors.

Comment

Never used a tanning bed, my opinion is that they are too dangerous.

The level of UV is very intense and even though you are exposed for 'controlled' amounts of time, the exposure can be very severe.

It's like comparing a microwave with a regular oven, higher dosage of energy for shorter time, but which would you prefer to use more? I know I'm an oven person.

So, it is probably safer to tan outside and use a good quality high SPF sunscreen. You may take longer to get your tan, but it will look better and last longer.

Comment

Natural tan is a lot more fun to get.....

Comment

Surely the truth is that any form of UV exposure is potentially damaging to skin. That means sunshine too! In fact, the infrared content of sunshine makes it potentially even more damaging to skin. We've been told by "the authorities" that UV sunbeds are dangerous, but used in moderation I can't see that they're any more dangerous than being out in the sunshine.

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by nekkedtruth:
                        Natural tan is a lot more fun to get.....

But a little difficult in Britain just at this moment in time, more likely to come down with hypothermia which isn't fun to get!!

Pete Knight

Comment

Hey barebum,
                          I know many people tell you how bad the fake sun tans are and they may be. But I am one of those people who are litterly addicted to the sun and UV rays. I go about three times a week, if I can not get my sun naturally. I do perfer the natural sun to the beds but I get very depressed and have joint pain and headachs if I don't get my weekly dose of UV rays. I have discussed this with my doctor and he said that even though he didn't recomend it for everyone, skin color and family heritage does make a difference in how much of a risk you would be in. He checks my skin at least once per year and said I didn't even have wrinkles or blimishes from it so He didn't see any problem for me using it the way I do. I do get other benefits from the UV exposure besides a tan. The UV rays do make your body produce vitamin D which will help with joint and back pain. You can make up your own mind if it is right for you. I know that if lived in a place where there was little winter sunshine or a lot of clouds and rain or severe weather I would go nuts without it.

Comment

I use the tanning bed to build up a base tan before I go to a sunny vacation spot.

It does condition my skin so I don't get a severe sunburn on the beach.

A much better option than showing up at a nude beach Milky White and leaving as Red as a Lobster.

Steve

Comment

It's been a couple of years since I did the tanning bed thing. Like Steve, I did it to get a jump start to the all over tan. It was before our first trip to the Bahamas, and I knew we would be going nude the whole time, and I didn't want to burn.

The young people who worked there really didn't understand what I was trying to do. They just couldn't figure out why I'd only come in a few times a week, for just a few minutes.

It seemed to do the trick, but last year I just got out in the backyard and did the same thing, and it was free!!!

Barefoot-n-Nude in Texas!

Comment

Working...
                              X