Nudism and gawking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nudism and gawking

While living in Vancouver in the 80's, I frequently visited Wreck Beach(clothing op public beach). I found it normal to look and be looked at without gawking. Including the genital area. But in the nudist camps I've been to, I find it hypocritical NOT to look at the person as a whole being. There are people who look up at the birds, others down at the ground etc. They even bar sunglasses(no peeking). So, to repeat--without gawking--is it hypocritical?
    Opinions?

While living in Vancouver in the 80's, I frequently visited Wreck Beach(clothing op public beach). I found it normal to look and be looked at without gawking. Including the genital area. But in the nudist camps I've been to, I find it hypocritical NOT to look at the person as a whole being. There are people who look up at the birds, others down at the ground etc. They even bar sunglasses(no peeking). So, to repeat--without gawking--is it hypocritical?
    Opinions?

Comment

I suspect the folks are trying hard to look like they are NOT gawking and so fail to look at all. It isn't hypocrisy, it is institutional insecurity.

I've never encountered this myself. OTOH I've met women who were initially convinced that every male there was staring at them, when that wasn't the case at all. (Classic reaction of a younger first time nudist female who hasn't been properly prepped for the experience and isn't with a trusted companion.)

Takes a long time to unlearn this. Many aren't willing to take the time and give up on naturism prematurely.

Comment

I would much rather people looked than avoided looking. If they look I am not embarassed but if they don't, that signals they are uncomfortable with my nudity, and that in turn makes me uncomfortable. I understand some people feeling everyone is looking at them, but that is often just a symptom of not being comfortable with their body.

Comment

I think a casual glance is normal. I agree that it is normal to look at the whole person.

That being said I have witnessed some inappropriate lingering looks at beaches. When someone purposely walks to with in a few feet of someone else checking them out it is annoying if not down right rude. This is especially crude when it is done to a lone female or worse to set up right next to them and looking at them whole time. I know these are not real naturists. It is common at a nude beach but I have never seen this behavior at a club or resort.

Comment

I agree with you LilWilly.. I hadn't thought about it much, but I don't mind people looking at me.

But really, things should be similar to when you clothed.. sometimes you check someone out, sometimes you don't, but don't be rude about it. But sometimes you want the other person notice you checking them out so they know you're intersted, etc, etc, etc...

Comment

Tell someone not to think of a bear for the next minute. What will they think of, A Bear!

The same goes for telling someone not to look at a certain part of the body. Well, where do you think their eyes are going to go? Looking and staring are different. We even had a discussion about this a while ago. Looking at someone else will not make them uncomfortable. Gawking at them will. When talking to someone else, act like you usually do when you talk to someone who is wearing clothes. Eye contact for a prolonged time is impossible for most people.

Acting naturally is the best thing.

Bob S.

Comment

Im glad to see a woman being ok with a guy looking at her. It's dumb to act like you dont want to look when youre more inclined to. When a person is willing to be naked in whatever venue, its like saying this is who I am, accept me. By avoiding eye contact, even towards the whole person, it seems to me youre saying you dont.

Comment

NudeAl mentioned that he found staring to be more of a problem on nude beaches, but I have found it is the opposite!?

On our local unofficial c/o beach, we typically only get 25 to 30 people a day, and we know most of those people so maybe that's why we don't get too much gawking.

Even most of the "tourists" we get don't stare.

But over the Winter months, my Wife & I often go with another couple to a nearby Naturist Resort, and we regularly get gawkers there believe it or not.

Single guys usually. One guy in the restaurant was staring (& grinning) so bad that we complained to the mgt! They spoke to him & he left. Apparently he was a visitor they hadn't seen before.......

But I have rarely experienced that kind of blatant staring on the beach.

Just lucky I guess

Comment

That is a twist.

I think it has to do with the screening process. The club I go to makes an effort to keep out the peepers. But a rule against wearing sunglasses? Come on! I don't think they discriminate against single males but those are the most likely offenders. Now some of them may not know better I think the management would give them the a second chance if they were just acting out of ignorence.

At the beach we get every variety of person under the sun. Some of them just don't get it, or have there own reasons for being there. It is impossible to regulate who will go to a public nude beach. At the beach a group of regulars tries to keep order but they don't go everyday and on the week days it can be dangerous for a single female to go there by herself. Sad but true, we try to educate but if that is difficult we just end up running them off or calling over a lifeguard or a park ranger.

Comment

It is unnatural not to look at people. You do it all the time when clothed, do you think it is natural to not do it when nude? Gawking is another matter, it is not the same at 'looking'.

Here's what we say about it in our introductory letter for one of the groups I belong to:

quote:
                      It is OK to look at people, but don't gawk. Gawking is roughly defined as a prolonged gaze which produces discomfort. Look people in the eye when you meet them. Soon enough their nudity will be unremarkable to you.
                      -Mark

Comment

quote:
                        It is common at a nude beach...
                        Not even slightly less common on the textile beach. Maybe even more common, esp. on one with pretty girls.

Two things cause gawking. One is novelty and the other is thoughtlessness. Girls watching is a fine art for those of us who take the feelings of the watched person into consideration.

Comment

quote:
                          Wife & I often go with another couple to a nearby Naturist Resort, and we regularly get gawkers there believe it or not.

Single guys usually.
                          And some people wonder why single man have a harder time being accepted at the resorts. It only take a few of these occurances and single guys become personna non grata. A few bad apples scare off the newbies, especially female newbies, and the entire barrel gets discarded.

Comment

What I would like to know is: How can anyone tell that a man who is alone is single? Even if he says he is, he could be lying. Some places won't let a married man in alone, but they will let a single man in. Maybe he's married and there alone, or maybe he lied about his marital status. Maybe he removed his ring hoping to "score" and didn't want the ring to hamper his chances. I met a man at the resort where I go who was married. He was on his way out because he had failed at his reasom for being there. He told me he was there alone, and his wife didn't know and wouldn't approve since she wasn't a nudist. He also told me that he had tried to talk a woman there into renting a cabin with him for the night, and I'm sure it wasn't for conversation.

Comment

the only beach close to where I live is a very long section of beach, the first mile or so is for regular clothed beach goers, but beyond that is the section called the natural beach, about a mile and a half beach where nude swimmers and sunbathers are sort of accepted, This is where I go to get my all over tan. One in ten of us are nude, so this is where the site seers come to check out the nudes. I enjoy this beach, the rangers turn there heads and don't much bother us, but the word gawker takes on a new meaning at my beach. We're more like a side show.I guess were stuck with what were delt. Some of these people knowing they'll see nude sunbathers, have the nerve to complain to the authorites. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                              X