Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are body mods actually harmful?

Question:

It has been stated that body mods in the genital area can draw attention to the genitals. What does that harm?? Is it really a bad thing around children?

Question:

It has been stated that body mods in the genital area can draw attention to the genitals. What does that harm?? Is it really a bad thing around children?

Comment

I'm probably a bit thick, but what are "body mods"?

Comment

Body mods? I assume you are reffering to jewlery of sorts.
        I suppose it does draw some attention to the area mentioned. But me thinks it is looked at with or without additions. Just a thing we all do, no big deal(looking).
        I've seen more middle aged women with rings and studs and think it's pretty neat they have courage to do their thing.
        As for what kids think. I've seen them look and none freaked out yet. Kids pretty much do their own thing,especially when it's the opposite of what parents or adults do. (remember when we that age?)
        I don't think most women wear rings or studs to grab eyeballs of all around. I'm sure they serve a function of which others are not privy too but remove and replace is pretty much out of the question, so they remain and others just happen to see them.
        I belong to a nice family club and none are looked down for having them. Heck,may even cause some envy.
        I've seen (not in the club)some who look like a walking nude jewlery store. That,to me,is going to far. The kid's reaction would no doubt be the same as mine "That dude is one sick turkey!".
        Body adornments are like makeup. A little properly applied makes a women look attractive. Too much makes her look like a disaster at a makeover counter when a car hit it.(Or worse yet,look like Tammy Faye Baker).
        Could be kid's have the same oppion.

Been stuck in the house today for to long.Guess I'll put on my WD-40 lotion and go stand in the rain and get my "Oregon Tan".

Comment

I'm with splitfeather on this one, but would like to add some extra comments.

Body jewelry is meant to adorn the specific area that it is attatched to. There is a double message still sent by nudism, in part because of the societal rules and laws. We claim that all parts of the body are good, but still maintain that the genital area is different. Erections are a no-no. And, for many, so are any adornments on that part of the anatomy. Call it prejudice, but there is the connection to alternative sexual activities (eg. swinging) when genital jewelry is seen.

As for children seeing the jewelry, it would generally depend on the age. But the reaction would probably mimic the reactions of their parents who have raised them and have passed on their own prejudices and beleifs. As for being harmful, I can't see how anything that does not physically or emotionally affect them be hamful. Just how a person looks (body mods and all) cannot harm anyone else. It can elicit responses, but can do no harm.

Bob S.

Comment

I think to answer the question you have to put yourself in a parents shoes for a minute.

I don't think body jewelry is bad and it can be tastefully done. I agree that some take this fashion to the extreme and it is not attractive.

Around children...we nudists truly believe that being naked around children from an early age on is healthier and helps them appreciate their bodies and be less judgmental. As a parent we have had to explain numerous things in life to our children. At a young age they usually accept what we say. With some of the body jewelry in some of the places you see them...I think as a parent it gets a little hard to explain why men and women have pierced their genitalia.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry for the confusion...body mods are modifications made to the body usually for decorative reasons. Usually it refers to piercing and tattooing but it can in reality include wearing earrings as well. They would be semi-permanent mods and would probably not include make up for instance.

FireProf, I think I'd explain genital jewelry the same way I'd explain jewelry on any part of the body. It is there as decoration.

I've noticed that those who relate this to swinging are usually those that know little about swingers. I've had some say it means the person is into BDSM but I know that isn't true either.

The conservative nudists who say it isn't something that children should see should remind themselves that most people think children should not see nude adults for the same reasons. We know better.... looking at a penis is not harmful and I feel this doesn't change because we hang something gold on it.

I'm hoping someone that sees harm in it will explain to me what drawing attention to a body part, particularly a penis, does to children that is bad.

Comment

I don't think it does any harm. My nipple is pierced, and my genitals will be soon, hopefully. If asked I will tell my child I did it because it feels good, which is the truth. If my child (3 years old)asks me about my penis, I will tell her that males have different parts than females, and my penis is what I pee with. When she's a little older I'll explain sex to her, when she asks. When she's alot older, I'll let her modify her body in anyway she sees fit.

Comment

I'm having a bit of a "sense of humor" problem here. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The main reason I have NOT gotten the nipple piercings I've been pondering for a decade is because the six month healing period will interfere greatly with my sex life. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

I chuckle every time I see someone post about how piercings might be to draw [sexual] attention to the body part in question.

OK, so it might draw attention, but do NOT try to touch it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I know - after it's healed it'd be a different story.

But I still chuckle. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

NotBob,

Maybe it feels good to you to have holes poked in your body parts, but I personally don't like pain that much. Hey! To each his own. I'll let the ones who like it do it, but I'm too much of a chicken--cluck! cluck! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by cyndiann:
                      [qb]Question:

It has been stated that body mods in the genital area can draw attention to the genitals. What does that harm?? Is it really a bad thing around children?[/qb]

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by cyndiann:
                        [qb]Question:

It has been stated that body mods in the genital area can draw attention to the genitals. What does that harm?? Is it really a bad thing around children?[/qb]
                        I agree with all of you about body adornment. We nudists want the textile world to accept us as we are, but within our nudist community some people try to control what everyone else does.

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by Angel:
                          [qb]I'm having a bit of a "sense of humor" problem here. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The main reason I have NOT gotten the nipple piercings I've been pondering for a decade is because the six month healing period will interfere greatly with my sex life. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [/qb]
                          Consider having one done at a time. I have my left one done and because I started out with titanium instead of surgical steel it didn't heal totally till I changed metal rings after a year. Even now I have problems with saliva infecting it. My body doesn't take to metal very well though so don't think you will have the same problem. I'm not going to have the right one done. One is fine.
                          [qb]
                          quote:

I chuckle every time I see someone post about how piercings might be to draw [sexual] attention to the body part in question.

OK, so it might draw attention, but do NOT try to touch it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I know - after it's healed it'd be a different story.

But I still chuckle. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [/qb]
                          Yeah I know what you mean.... they have had much less attention since I had them pierced.

Comment

My feelings... to each his own... do what you want to your body, but please don't be upset if I don't do it to mine. I do have my left ear pierced and I do wear a diamond in the ear. My wonderful wife also had her left ear pierced and she wears the mate earring. In my short time of being a naturist/nudist I have found that the people we have met are all very nice and unassuming.

Thanks,
                            jeslrs

Comment

jeslrs says
                              quote:
                              My feelings... to each his own... do what you want to your body, but please don't be upset if I don't do it to mine.
                              jeslrs:

I agree entirely with you. I'd rephrase your comment a bit, though:

My feelings ... to each his own ... do what you want to your body, but please don't be upset *by what I do to mine*. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm willing to bet there are people in the nudist world who've had facelifts, liposuctions, breast augmentation or reduction surgery, nose jobs, hair implants ... things I'd *never* consider doing to my body. Just like some of those folks would never consider getting a piercing or tattoo.

Live and let live, eh? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X