Evolution of a nudist beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution of a nudist beach

How does a beach get to be nudist? I go to a beach which is only few miles from me. It's owned by the National Trust (the main, and very respected and respectable conservation body in Britain). It's quite a walk to get to it, across a few fields and down some steps. Turn to the left at the steps and there is the textile area, very popular with families; turn to the right and you can, after a very short walk, get naked. There are no signs to say that it is a nudist beach, nor is it listed in listings of naturist beaches in the UK. But everyone's at it there, about 200 of us last weekend. It's all competely accepted by the other beach users and yet there doesn't seem to be any official designation.

It made me wonder how beaches get to be nudist. Perhaps a precedent could be set by small groups of us getting naked in areas where it not been practiced before. Shall we start a campaign?

How does a beach get to be nudist? I go to a beach which is only few miles from me. It's owned by the National Trust (the main, and very respected and respectable conservation body in Britain). It's quite a walk to get to it, across a few fields and down some steps. Turn to the left at the steps and there is the textile area, very popular with families; turn to the right and you can, after a very short walk, get naked. There are no signs to say that it is a nudist beach, nor is it listed in listings of naturist beaches in the UK. But everyone's at it there, about 200 of us last weekend. It's all competely accepted by the other beach users and yet there doesn't seem to be any official designation.

It made me wonder how beaches get to be nudist. Perhaps a precedent could be set by small groups of us getting naked in areas where it not been practiced before. Shall we start a campaign?

Comment

Here in NY, it has to be either private or federal land, as is the National Seashore. I don't know of any part of NY State land that is clothing optional.

Comment

I like the idea of coordinated visits to beaches, but it doesn't have to be small groups. If 50 nudists meet in a parking lot (car park for you Brits) then share the ride in a bus or a few vans, then we could create a substantial prescence on a beach. We could go off a few yards (metres) from the main crowd to avoid being too confrontational, but it would be good to be close enough that they could see nude bodies in the distance.

Many of us live hundreds of miles from the nearest beach, but we may be able to have nude camp-ins in national forest land or do some nude canoeing down rivers.

When I visited a river in north Alabama, I heard reports of groups of 20 to 30 local people swimming and sunbathing nude in remote spots along the river.

In some areas, the law is so hostile to nudity that people need to consider the risk, but maybe those are the areas that need bold skinnydippers the most.

Comment

I guess a beach becomes clothes optional in Britain through trial and error.
          A bunch of people going nude away from the more popular areas of a beach stand a good chance of getting away with it. Someone might complain, and of course they would have to cover up - but I guess that's how nudist beaches start. If nobody complains, it continues, and grows (hopefully!) into an unofficial nudist beach. After a few years with no incident, or unpopularity, it might become an official nudist beach. I guess.

Comment

Working...
          X