Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming pool events - a question

Hi all,

When you have been to a swimming pool event/swim (I have never been to one) are the lifeguards nude too??

Only I suspect they are just some of the usual staff members, and as such would probably feel a little ill at ease with a bunch of naked people splashing around. Has this been your experience???

Max

Hi all,

When you have been to a swimming pool event/swim (I have never been to one) are the lifeguards nude too??

Only I suspect they are just some of the usual staff members, and as such would probably feel a little ill at ease with a bunch of naked people splashing around. Has this been your experience???

Max

Comment

It is my recent experience that there are NO lifeguards at nudists swims.

However, I realize that some nudist swims somewhere in the world MAY have lifeguards.

(Many years ago, I was a lifeguard in the nude for all-male swimmers at the YMCA, but that was not a "nudist swim").

Comment

Now why would the lifguards feel Ill atease?

I'm sure they knew ahead of time that it was going to be Nude night. And what's the difference if people splashing around in the water have suits on or not. They are not having an orgy. They are just swimming.

Haulover beach in florida may be the only nude beach in the country that has County Paid lifeguards. These lifeguards know they are going to be working at a nude beach when they start their day. It's not a suprise when they see someone nude.
        When I wanted to learn some information about the beach I simply went up and asked one of them. She was polite and helpfull. She even said she enjoys working the nude beach because the people there are usually nicer and more well behaved.

Steve

Comment

Max

I can't speak from first hand experience but my understanding is that lifeguards are almost always provided by the local authority where the swimming pool comes under their auspices (as they usually do in the UK).

If local authority staff do not want to do the work I presume they don't have to, but to assume automatically that they would be uncomfortable is faling into the trap of believing that only naturists can abide the sight of other naturists.

Swim organisers, usually naturist clubs, may if necessary provide their own lifeguards provided the hold the appropriate NPLG (National Pool Lifeguard) qualification.

Rik

Comment

Based on my experience with clothing-optional swims at municipal recreational facilities, lifeguards are mandatory, provided as part of the rental package and clothed.

The facility allows any lifeguard the option as to whether or not to work a c-o event.

For liability insurance reasons, not having lifeguards is not an option.

Gary

Comment

As a lifeguard and assistant pool programmer I can tell you that lifeguards are required to be readily identifiable and must have at least 2 pieces of uniform on. There have been guards that work bottomless or topless and wear a fanny pack but most wear full uniform. I must also add that one of the quickest ways for a nudist group to lose their pool space is for patrons to hassle the lifeguards, particularly the female guards, to guard nude. This has happened because there are over zealous nudists out there. Any untoward behaviour to the staff will get the group bounced. We have just added a nude swim to my pool, and even though there are few Wreck Beacher's on staff, myself included, I would not expect the guards to work nude. We are also very careful about picking our guards, for one we will not put an inexperience guard on the shift, and all the guards are asked specifically about their feelings towards guarding nudists, any with an immature attitude will not be put on the swim.

Comment

Hi Max,

I go to several local swims and have found that all the lifeguards are clothed though one has indicated that she would like to join us.

There is little embarisment evident, they are there doing a job, and they wear the uniform that goes with it. I don't know anyone at the clubs that has problems with it. If you look up on the NUFF website, you can find a swim near you and, provided you contact the organiser first, you can join in for a session. I dont think you will have a problem once you get into the social side of things.

Bryony.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nudeboots:
                  [QB]As a lifeguard and assistant pool programmer I can tell you that lifeguards are required to be readily identifiable and must have at least 2 pieces of uniform on. There have been guards that work bottomless or topless and wear a fanny pack but most wear full uniform.

Sorry nudeboots but I had to reply 'cos it made me laugh -' fannypack' sugests something quite different here in the UK -we call them 'bumbags'.
                  Just to add though that as far as I'm aware lifegaurds ,as has been said, need to be identified. i shouldn't think it bothers them or they wouldn't be there.
                  I was in CapD'Agde some while back and all the shop staff there were clothed. As I remember. It seemed to me at the time that they were the 'different' ones !

Comment

I am not surprised that the pool staff is present when the facility is being used. I am also not surprised that they are clothed whether it is a uniform or not. The liability for any public deep water pool is very high. Private facilities have gotton away with no guards with a lot of signage and favorable court rulings.

Regarding the selection of the staff, I am sure they are selected and/or screened to work a nude event. Regarding they being clothed and me naked, it is my choice to stay just as it to visit the pool bar next to the nude beach in Jamica.

Regarding being around a clothed person when nude, I find it to be a nothing situation.

Mic

Comment

It is my impression that one big difference between the nude swims in the UK and the nude swims in the USA is that in the UK, the nude swims are very often in public owned facilities, whereas, in the USA nude swims are almost never held in public facilities as the citizens would not approve of their public facilities being use for any nude swim.

In the USA, it is even very difficult to find privately owned facilities (atheletic clubs) that will allow the nudist clubs to rent a time period for nudist club swims.

The privately owned athletic club where our nudist club rented twice a month was sold and is no longer available to us, and none of the other similar private facilities will agree to any nude swims. It is "impossible" for any publicly owned facility (and there are many around here) to permit our nudist club to swim in the nude (and especially since it would be mixed gender).

Regarding lifeguards in USA: In public facilities there would nearly always be lifeguards. In private facilities, such as athletic clubs, nudist resorts, etc. there likely would be no lifeguards, but merely a sign stating that there are no lifeguards and that you swim at your own risk, and some signs may also say that for your safety, you should swim with someone else and not alone. (At nudist resorts, the sign would also say that only NUDE swimming is permitted).

Comment

I have to do some education re: "fanny packs". These are probably the most important piece of equipment a lifeguard has. They are small packs worn around the waist resting on guards hip or butt.(some call they "bum bags" here too). They contain gloves, airways, and a one-way pocket mask to resuscitate a non-breathing person while protecting the rescuer from back splash vomit.
                        In Canada nude swims in public pools are not a big problem until some radical Christian groups get on their high horse. These people give Christians a bad name as the majority of the nudists I know would call themselves Christian. The clubs do have to block the windows so no unsuspecting person get exposed to nudity, a silly consession but nessisary to appease the majority of the population that still view nudists as freaks. Given the populatity of the nude swims, the numbers of nudists are growing and the number of anti-nudists are dropping. In my dreams all public pools would have time set aside for nude swims and topfree would be commonplace. Things are moving that way now, so it may not be that wild a dream.

Comment

In the UK lifeguards must be clealry identifiable and while I suppose this requirement could be met while still being nude - e.g. if they painted themselves red - it always seems to be met by the guards being clothed. As they tend to be the regular guards at the pool and probably not naturists anyway this is hardly surprising.

I have swum nude though with one group in London that provides its own lifeguards and the lifeguards are naturists. There are generally two, one for the first half of the swim and one for the second. So half way one sees a swimmer getting out, dried and dressed before the life guard strips naked and jumps in the pool !

Comment

Before reading these posts, I have never before read about, nor seen, lifeguards wearing fanny packs or bum bags. Here in the USA any equipment to aid life saving is stationed nearby, either hanging on the wall or in a container on the floor. I don't see why a lifeguard would have to carry it on his person. This would be another incumberance in swimming toward a person to resue him/her. This equipment around the waist of a lifeguard would be something a frantic person could grab onto in a effort to stay afloat, thereby impeding the lifeguards effort to rescue him. The lifeguard would not use this equipment until back on the swimming pool deck, so why carry it with him in the water? It sounds like some goofy or absurd regulation some committee thought up and it became law.

Comment

Certainly the club I'm a member of, Wirral Naturist Club, which hires the main Northgate Arena pool in Chester (owned by Chester City Council) has clothed lifeguards. We are required to have two lifeguards, and always seem to get on well with whichever ones are there.

We had one incident last year, when only five minutes into the naturist session, one of our older members got into slight difficulties and had to be pulled out by the two male lifeguards on duty who jumped straight in. They then had the problem of not having a change of clothes - we jokingly suggested that we didn't have a problem if they stripped off while their clothes dried - one of them did leave his uniform in the sauna to dry and spent the rest of the swim wearing only his underwear, but the other remained in his wet T shirt and shorts for nearly 2 hours!

At the Stoke Waterworld swim also, all the lifeguards are clothed.

Comment

Working...
                              X