Are you a "Progressive nudist"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a "Progressive nudist"?

I was looking up nudism in Wikipedia, and came accross this little paragraph:

There is an alternative movement known as Progressive Nudism which rejects the chaste atmosphere of "traditional" naturist establishments and argues that in some social situations nudism between adults should be a celebration of complete sexual freedom. Progressive Nudists enjoy naturism for the sake of being naked - not for the sake of sex - just like traditional nudists do, but unlike traditionalists they do not have tortured anxieties around human sexuality and sexual feelings. Progressives cite the decline in young people turning to traditional "old-fashioned" naturism as evidence that they have refused to adopt restrictive edicts and outdated codes of behaviour which had made naturism become a self-justifying and introverted inhibitor of it's own development. Progressive Nudist views expressed in publications such as Starkers Magazine and espoused at certain venues like Starkers Nightclub (the names are apparently coincidental) are that only when there is no shame associated with sex - as in the rest of nature - and human sexuality is celebrated can the true naturist utopia be attained.

Of course, Cyndiann comes to mind after reading this. But do you consider yourself more of a "Progressive" nudist or a "Traditional" nudist?

I was looking up nudism in Wikipedia, and came accross this little paragraph:

There is an alternative movement known as Progressive Nudism which rejects the chaste atmosphere of "traditional" naturist establishments and argues that in some social situations nudism between adults should be a celebration of complete sexual freedom. Progressive Nudists enjoy naturism for the sake of being naked - not for the sake of sex - just like traditional nudists do, but unlike traditionalists they do not have tortured anxieties around human sexuality and sexual feelings. Progressives cite the decline in young people turning to traditional "old-fashioned" naturism as evidence that they have refused to adopt restrictive edicts and outdated codes of behaviour which had made naturism become a self-justifying and introverted inhibitor of it's own development. Progressive Nudist views expressed in publications such as Starkers Magazine and espoused at certain venues like Starkers Nightclub (the names are apparently coincidental) are that only when there is no shame associated with sex - as in the rest of nature - and human sexuality is celebrated can the true naturist utopia be attained.

Of course, Cyndiann comes to mind after reading this. But do you consider yourself more of a "Progressive" nudist or a "Traditional" nudist?

Comment

How 'bout...mildly Progressive.

Got to get ready for work, so no time to explain, maybe later.

Comment

Interesting. I would say that I most certainly do not have do not have tortured anxieties around human sexuality and sexual feelings. I also agree to a limited extent, that younger people are a bit in decline as far as joining the lifestyle due to suppressive doctrines but not totally for sure. That is another topic.

Am I a Progressive Naturist? Yes. I am open minded but feel the rules concerning sexuality at resorts etc. are valid and logical too.

Moderately progressive with respect and appreciation for our roots.

-Danee

Comment

Oh boy! I'm not sure how to respond.

I suppose a little bit of both? If I had to choose a category, and I hate that, I would say on the whole I am more of a traditionalist. I believe in the concept of chaste social nudity. However, I can see situations at private places where it could become more sexual. I don't have anything against that per say but I worry that this becomes the view of the general public that we fall into the old trap of being described by the actions of some who are on the fringe so to speak.

What consenting adults do in private is their business. The problem becomes when it is in a public place. As long as they are taking precautions to keep out of view it may be okay. What I hate to happen and have seen happen is they do this at a nude beach or other traditional nude location and then it becomes known as a place where public sex is seen as okay. That in turn brings the wrath of the anti-nude crowd who come in and get the place shut down to nudity.

Now a mild blending of the line such as a lingere dance at a nudist resort is not be an issue for me. As long as it is an adult only event. That I have seen and have no problem with.

So if you choose to blend the line between sex and nudism please choose a location on private property and not a traditional nude beach. I personally think it is a slippery slope to begin going down. But again what consenting adults do in private is their own business.

Comment

I tend to go along the same lines as Danee.

Comment

One of the nice things about Wikipedia is that it's a collaborative effort, and everyone is free to submit either new material or an edit for consideration.

In this case I think there will be quite a few of us who object to the language "...unlike traditionalists they do not have tortured anxieties around human sexuality...."

The way it is written assumes that the opinion of the "progressive naturists" describes reality, and I think it's merely a perjorative statement that's way off base. "Tortured anxieties around human sexuality" describes a lot of non-naturists, and no doubt some naturists as well. But to apply this to all naturists who prefer to enjoy social nudity in a non-sexual setting is ridiculous.

Anyone want to try their hand at editing an encyclopedia? Here's the link to the material in question. If you scroll to the top of the page you'll find a tab that lets you submit an edit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturis...ation_with_sex

Comment

NudeAl has posted and shares many of the same veiws I feel on the subject. As he pointed out though, there is a time and place for progressiveness, and care should be taken for the general public not to get wrong ideas of what our nudism is all about.
                Nudeinbama

Comment

Many non nudists believe that nudism/nudity in a social setting inevitably arouses lust. Most nudists disagree, saying that there is more sexual tension in the near-nude environment of a pool or a beach than at a nudist site. This belief is reflected in the nudist adage "nude, not lewd."

Comment

I tend to be wary when people of loaded terms like "Progressive Nudist". While nudism and sexuality, in its most general sense, may not be mutually exclusive, requiring that a definition of nudism encompass unbridled sexuality is erroneous, and certainly not "progressive".

Comment

I see NOTHING "progressive" about the seemingly age-old association of nudity and sex, no matter how it's painted. That doesn't mean I'm afraid of sex, its great, in it's place, but the need and desire to disassociate it from nudity and what I learn from that as a result is far more "progressive" of a thought process in my mind.

Comment

I found this alternate definition, still from Wikipedia:

Progressive Nudism is an alternative movement within the naturist community that rejects the many rules and regulations typical to many nudist venues in favour of complete freedom for all in a non-judgemental atmosphere. Progressive nudists assert that these rules and edicts are a product of the naturist movements past when it was strongly suppressed. In contemporary times in most Western societies these are seen as no longer necessary or appropriate and as inhibiting the growth of the nudist movement as a whole. They go further and argue that true naturism can only exist when sexuality is deregulated and the shame associated with human sexual behaviour is removed. Progressive Nudist venues are usually adults only but this does not mean that they are venues for sex, they are just venues to be nude without the rules. They say that there is a time and a place for family naturism and a time and a place for adult naturism and that the distinction between the two should be recognised until society is at a stage when people are no longer body conscious.

Comment

"Progressive Nudists",what next??
                          I believe we should behave and act exactly the same way clothed as we do nude.
                          Most of us don't automatically think of sex when at a clothed club or beach,why should we when we go to a nude one.
                          Naturism is about,or so i thought,doing things we usually do,but nude.
                          I still have a healthy sex life(sometimes a little too healthy )with my wife,but I don't have to go to a nudist club or beach to "get it"
                          If that is the only reason,or even part of the reason for someone to go there,then I feel they are missing the whole point,and idea behind social,FAMILY,nudism.

Naturally Kiwi

Comment

Tanz beat me to the punch. I believe we should be respectful in our behavior and not engage in any activity that will make others around us be uncomfortable. Let's keep sex where it belongs, in private between consenting adults and not in public view.

Comment

I'll 2nd that

Comment

Working...
                              X