Teaching non-body acceptance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching non-body acceptance?

What do you think of this photo of the day?

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by soundman:

I think the photo truly speaks "1000 words".

But, go figure...why would a bunch of Moms bring their kids to a parade route where the WNBR was being held? The city parks and playgrounds were completely full? geesh!

Comment

That is a pretty powerful picture! I don't think it was the kids' idea, but the parents. One child on the stroller seems to be sneaking a peek. Notice the other kids are covering their ears too. Do naked bike riders make obscene noises too??

Comment

Hey it looks like at least one kid and his parent are walking along with the cyclists.

If the prudes want to come out to be offended let them it's their energy and time wasted.

It is tradgic that they are perverting yet another generation though!

Comment

It seems to me that the riders were mostly nude men and that some wore body paint.
            Something, perhaps, unexpected by those with their backs turned.

If there had been an even mix of men and women riders, along with children. All nude, without paint-
            Would those people have still turned their backs?
            Possibly not.
            Even if they did, it may have caused them to subsequently think about what they saw and perhaps come to some realization that nudity is becoming popular and more widely accepted (and that it not done because of weirdness, a whim,or anyway at all for shock effect.)

Comment

Shame on the parents teaching shame.

Comment

Do textiles HAVE to accept our desire to be naked? Do we disregard their right not to?

Comment

Yeah! That's it. They just don't like paint.

Or maybe it's the Wheels.

If someone hadn't invented the wheel, this sort of thing wouldn't be happening.

Quick! Throw the children into an Opaque Plastic Bubble to protectet them from seeing anything "harmfull".

Steve

Comment

Frankly, I find that photo disturbing. Parents should be able to take their kids out without havinbg to be subjected to that. The authorities should have stopped this.

quote:
                    Shame on the parents teaching shame.

I'm not sure the term "shame" is always the right term, Jon, especially when there isn't a religious factor (as in our case). We teach our daughter that not that the naked body is inherently shameful, but something intimate and private. We tell her that we feel it is wrong to expose your body to other people unless they have given permission for you to do so - like, for example, your doctor. We have also taught her that a very small number of people don't feel the way we do, and they enjoy being naked with each other. I really don't think that's teaching her "shame".

CHICK

quote:
                    Do textiles HAVE to accept our desire to be naked?

Speaking as a textile, Chick, I accept your desire to be naked, I just don't want to be present when you are naked. Nudity should be entirely consensual - both on the part of the naked person and any potential observer.

quote:
                    Do we disregard their right not to?

I hope not. Naturists are constantly asking for tolerance of their lifestyle. To get that, they must show some respect for the sensibilities of others, even if they believe those sensibilities are unfounded.

Stu

Comment

The World Naked Bike Ride is only a once a year occurrence. People should be able to accept that we like to celebrate our lifestyle also and let us have our day (few hours) without disrespecting us with backs turned at us.

Those kids will think something very bad is happening when it is only a good celebration of the body and a simple call to use bikes instead of cars. Teaching kids to accept others once in a while will create understanding and is good.

Comment

I see two young adult women and at least 7 kids. I doubt they are the parents. More likely this is a daycare outing who's leaders didn't check the day's local events before venturing forth. The teachers had to err on the side of prudism in order to avoid the possibility of an insane reaction from parents who might accuse them of 'exposing the children to perverts' or even reporting them to authorities.

Just a part of life under repression.

-Mark

Another view here

Oops! Someone peeked!

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by Nu:
                          ...If there had been an even mix of men and women riders, along with children. All nude, without paint- Would those people have still turned their backs? Possibly not.
                          Even if they did, it may have caused them to subsequently think about what they saw and perhaps come to some realization that nudity is becoming popular and more widely accepted (and that it not done because of weirdness, a whim,or anyway at all for shock effect.)

"It may have caused them to subsequently think about what they saw...". Good point, Nu. I lived in Toronto during the years that the gay men's naturist group, TNT!Men, kept pushing the envelope at the annual Pride Day Parade. In other words, every year they'd see how far they could go being nude without being arrested.

It was finally decided in the courts that as long as a person was wearing something -- socks, sandals, a tie, whatever...then he or she was not being lewd or exposing himself in public in a lascivious fashion.

Anyway, by the time I moved away in 2004, the annual parade which happened to feature these very ordinary naked guys, was all a bit of a yawn to the 500,000 or so spectators. Kids watched with their parents from the sidelines, seeing the nudity as something unusual, but definitely not sexual. The "gay" Pride Parade had become mainstream where nudists were parading right next to the Gay Presbyterians or the Absolut Vodka float.

So, I applaud the Naked Bike Riders in whatever city they appear in...they are not only creating awareness of our horrendous dependence on oil, but they're also making nudity more commonplace in public. And isn't that what we're all about?

J'man

Comment

I love your photo.

quote:
                            Originally posted by Journeyman:
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Nu:
                            ...If there had been an even mix of men and women riders, along with children. All nude, without paint- Would those people have still turned their backs? Possibly not.

"It may have caused them to subsequently think about what they saw...". Good point, Nu. I lived in Toronto during the years that the gay men's naturist group, TNT!Men, kept pushing the envelope at the annual Pride Day Parade. In other words, every year they'd see how far they could go being nude without being arrested.

It was finally decided in the courts that as long as a person was wearing something -- socks, sandals, a tie, whatever...then he or she was not being lewd or exposing himself in public in a lascivious fashion.

Anyway, by the time I moved away in 2004, the annual parade which happened to feature these very ordinary naked guys, was all a bit of a yawn to the 500,000 or so spectators. Kids watched with their parents from the sidelines, seeing the nudity as something unusual, but definitely not sexual. The "gay" Pride Parade had become mainstream where nudists were parading right next to the Gay Presbyterians or the Absolut Vodka float.

So, I applaud the Naked Bike Riders in whatever city they appear in...they are not only creating awareness of our horrendous dependence on oil, but they're also making nudity more commonplace in public. And isn't that what we're all about?

J'man

Comment

What that FIRST photo DOESN'T show is the HUGE smile on the blonde's face! Kinda of a contradiction to having everyone turn around if you ask me!

Look at the links Mark put in his post..you can see her smiling in it and on the WNBR web site where the picutres originate from.

Dee

IMO, they did those kids a lot more harm by making such a deal out of it!

Comment

Working...
                              X