Can you remember???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you remember???

Everyone here is pretty much into nudity but what was it like for you before you saw the light? What's it like for non-nudist types to see and contemplate people being bare? I grew up in the fifties and never saw a actual bare breast untill I was in the military, twenty years old. I hated to get naked in gym showers. I wasn't circumcised and my parents never told me and so I thought there was something terribly wrong with me. When I was in basic the toilets were lined up down the middle of the room with no walls and I wasn't able to use them for weeks. Agh. I was really in trouble with my sexuality. I thought of women very objectivly and with a lot of fear. Then, within a year of getting discharged I was modeling nude for art classes in San Francisco, going to nude beaches and starting to view women as fellow human beings. Why the change? I'll go into that later if there is any interest and positive responses from others. I'd love to hear how others broke down the social conditioning and became more human and humane...

Everyone here is pretty much into nudity but what was it like for you before you saw the light? What's it like for non-nudist types to see and contemplate people being bare? I grew up in the fifties and never saw a actual bare breast untill I was in the military, twenty years old. I hated to get naked in gym showers. I wasn't circumcised and my parents never told me and so I thought there was something terribly wrong with me. When I was in basic the toilets were lined up down the middle of the room with no walls and I wasn't able to use them for weeks. Agh. I was really in trouble with my sexuality. I thought of women very objectivly and with a lot of fear. Then, within a year of getting discharged I was modeling nude for art classes in San Francisco, going to nude beaches and starting to view women as fellow human beings. Why the change? I'll go into that later if there is any interest and positive responses from others. I'd love to hear how others broke down the social conditioning and became more human and humane...

Comment

I was born in the sixties to very young parents. They were pseudo hippies. As I grew I saw plenty of nude people but don't remember thinking it was wrong. I always felt comfortable as a child being naked. Somewhere along the line I was shielded. As a teenager I was always the one who instigated a skinny dip, or a streaking.

As a young adult, I was a closet nudist. I also spent way too much money at strip clubs. These days that kind of thing is just boring to me.

My 1st social nude experiance was with my girlfriend (my wife now). She used to belong to a non-landed group called The Rocky MNT. Bares. At first I thought that I would be nervous, but the minute I walked into that room, I felt at home. Since then I've been to plenty of B.B.Q.s hosted by nudists, spent a weekend at Mountain Air Ranch (www.trynude.com) and even helped start another one near CO.SPRGS. (www.nude-attitude.com)

I think the first time I possed nude for an art class was more nerve racking. I was the only one nude, was standing still, and everyone was staring at me! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Comment

My answer may be a little different from what you're looking for since I have not experienced social nudity like many of you on this board. I didn't play sports or serve in the military, so my group nudity was limited to Jr. High & High School gym class.

I was in my 40s before I spent a day nude at home, but I've spent a lot of time shirtless since I was a teen. I decided one day a few years ago there was no reason to put on pants at home. I found it comfortable & natural It's relaxing to be naked. I like the feel of the breeze & sun on my body. I'm still self conscious about others seeing my body, so I'm still a home nudist. I'm also not real comfortable with strangers so it may be a while if I ever go to a nude beach or a nude resort. I continue to enjoy being nude and will move at my own pace, though I'm slower than most of you.

Comment

I began sleeping nude my freshman year of high school. I found that whenever I had the chance which wasn't too often, I'd be nude around the house while everyone else was gone. During my high school years I played football and ran track. Back then we showered after PE and after practice and games or meets.

Being nude in a gang shower was the norm. I like most of my fellow atheletes walked out of the shower with towels in hand or around our necks. Some of the more shy would cover up.

After high school, I went into the service and again was comfortable with the gang shower but had to be creative about sleeping nude in boot camp. I did successfully and it was known by some but not all.

After boot camp I was stationed on a ship and the subject of nudity and sleeping nude was something that some of the others did. It wasn't flaunted but it was done without sneaking about.

Once out of the military, it was no holds barred and has been ever since for my wife and I. We are glad those ackward times are past us. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by R.M. Greenman:
            [qb] I was born in the sixties to very young parents. They were pseudo hippies. As I grew I saw plenty of nude people but don't remember thinking it was wrong. I always felt comfortable as a child being naked. Somewhere along the line I was shielded. As a teenager I was always the one who instigated a skinny dip, or a streaking.

As a young adult, I was a closet nudist. I also spent way too much money at strip clubs. These days that kind of thing is just boring to me.

My 1st social nude experiance was with my girlfriend (my wife now). She used to belong to a non-landed group called The Rocky MNT. Bares. At first I thought that I would be nervous, but the minute I walked into that room, I felt at home. Since then I've been to plenty of B.B.Q.s hosted by nudists, spent a weekend at Mountain Air Ranch www.trynude.com and even helped start another one near CO.SPRGS. www.nude-attitude.com

I think the first time I possed nude for an art class was more nerve racking. I was the only one nude, was standing still, and everyone was staring at me! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [/qb]
            Here is the post with the URLs alive.

Comment

OK, some good responses. Those that grew up in an open environment and grew into naturism naturally are to be envied. To those just starting keep to it. Now, what I think would be fascinating and useful in understanding what textiles feel when confronting nudity is specific incidents that anyone remembers as being illustrative of what began your enlightenment of slowed it down. For example...I just remembered something that happened to me when I was probably five or so that must of been slightly traumatic. I HAD actually seen a nude person of the opposite sex before I was in my twenties. My dad had purchased an army surplus truck, a huge thing that had a canvas cover over the back held up by ribs so it looked like a kahki covered wagon. One day a bunch of nieghbor kids, most older than me, headed to the truck and climbed in and I of course tagged along. Inside the truck's bed an enterprising older lady, she must of been all of ten or so, was, for a nickle, pulling up her dress and pulling down her under pants. I had not a clew as to what was going on. My mother also became curious sbout this gathering and looking into the back of the enclosure threw what can only be called "a fit". She yanked me out and made the rest including the performer get out of the truck. She berated them all as being filfthy little brats and promised to tell their mothers and then she, one of the rare times for this was a gentle and loving woman, spanked the bejabbers out of me and in front of the others. I was totally bewildered. Do you suppose this had any negative impact on my perceptions of "being naked"?

Comment

Elery,

"What's it like for non-nudist types to see and contemplate people being bare?"

In my case - TERRIFYING! Nobody EVER sees me naked, not even my wife, doctor or anyone. I won't enter a room if any member of my family is undressing beyond the underwear level. But that didn't stop us having three kids! It's not that we're not ashamed of our bodies. We are both very fit indeed, my wife is slim (5 feet 9 and a size 10/12) and I'm quite muscular without being excessively stocky. The thought of seeing naked people outside on a beach does NOT appeal to me in any way.

OK, call it social conditioning if you like, or tell me I'm a prude [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] But I really don't mind being this way. If I did then I'd change things, and I've no doubt that I would find plenty of friends on here to help me do that.

I do think that naturists often forget the effect the sight of nudity can have on those of us who haven't embraced this lifestyle. It genuinely shocks many people!

Stu

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by Elery:
                  [qb]Do you suppose this had any negative impact on my perceptions of "being naked"? [/qb]
                  Let me answer with another question:
                  How could it not have ?

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by stu2630:
                    [qb] Elery,

"What's it like for non-nudist types to see and contemplate people being bare?"

In my case - TERRIFYING! Nobody EVER sees me naked, not even my wife, doctor or anyone. I won't enter a room if any member of my family is undressing beyond the underwear level. But that didn't stop us having three kids! It's not that we're not ashamed of our bodies. We are both very fit indeed, my wife is slim (5 feet 9 and a size 10/12) and I'm quite muscular without being excessively stocky. The thought of seeing naked people outside on a beach does NOT appeal to me in any way.

OK, call it social conditioning if you like, or tell me I'm a prude [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] But I really don't mind being this way. If I did then I'd change things, and I've no doubt that I would find plenty of friends on here to help me do that.

I do think that naturists often forget the effect the sight of nudity can have on those of us who haven't embraced this lifestyle. It genuinely shocks many people!

Stu [/qb]
                    No stu, it only shocks you and a few others with extreme phobias. We've already established that very many months ago and now you are attempting to forget all that and all your traumatic childhood experiences and say you are just a victim of social conditioning when that is so far from the truth.

You will probably die of some strange skin disease that would have been caught by someone seeing it at some point in your life because you'd be too afraid to have someone actually observe your body parts. I had a brother in law that did just that, ignoring skin cancer till it was too late and he died at the old age of 25.

Please don't go around passing yourself off as an average part of the general population.

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by Elery:
                      [qb] Everyone here is pretty much into nudity but what was it like for you before you saw the light? What's it like for non-nudist types to see and contemplate people being bare? I grew up in the fifties and never saw a actual bare breast untill I was in the military, twenty years old. I hated to get naked in gym showers. I wasn't circumcised and my parents never told me and so I thought there was something terribly wrong with me. When I was in basic the toilets were lined up down the middle of the room with no walls and I wasn't able to use them for weeks. Agh. I was really in trouble with my sexuality. I thought of women very objectivly and with a lot of fear. Then, within a year of getting discharged I was modeling nude for art classes in San Francisco, going to nude beaches and starting to view women as fellow human beings. Why the change? I'll go into that later if there is any interest and positive responses from others. I'd love to hear how others broke down the social conditioning and became more human and humane... [/qb]
                      Huge change for you!

My family didn't really address nudity growing up. It wasn't seen as a huge problem but we really just didn't do it around the house.

Somehow I never really had a problem with nudity anyway when I grew up and left home. When getting nude with lovers I was not hesitant about shedding clothes and didn't hide under the covere either.

First time at a nude beach I went alone and was nude within the first few minutes. I do admit to sticking close to the towel that first time but I think that was due more to social shyness than about the nudity.

I have lots of women ask me about going for the first time but I feel I'm just not average in how I went about it so we don't relate well in that aspect.

Comment

Sometimes nudity can shock even us nudists if taken out of context. Point in case, when I was working at the Colorado Ren. Fest. on the last day of the event, the final cannon fired and shortly thereafter a pair of streakers went running by. I just stood there, wide eyed, thinking ,"was that what I thought it was?" Ofcourse it didn't bother me and I started to laugh wishing I had the guts to do that anymore.

When a child runs down the street naked, it is considered cute. When a college age person does it, it is considered funny and "..just kids blowing off some steam."

If a full grow adult does it, they are considered perverts!

Is this a true assessment or what? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Cyndiann - "No stu, it only shocks you and a few others with extreme phobias."

I don't know if you have been following the Steve Gough thread on this board, but Mr Gough, who is attempting to walk naked the length of Britain, is presently incarcerated in prison afterhis twelfth arrest since starting the walk! Most of these arrests followed complaints from shocked members of the public. And I wasn't among them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] !

"You will probably die of some strange skin disease...."

Thank you for that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I always feel better after talking to you.

Stu

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by stu2630:
                            [qb]In my case - TERRIFYING!
                            [/qb]So it IS a phobia then!
                            quote:
                            [qb]But I really don't mind being this way. If I did then I'd change things...
                            [/qb]
                            So you don't mind being "terrified"? It is your terror which leads you to delude yourself that you "don't mind being this way" because facing up to your terror would be too much of a challenge for you.

Rik

Comment

"Sometimes nudity can shock even us nudists if taken out of context..."

So imagine how shocking it is for those of us who aren't nudists [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] !

Stu

Comment

Working...
                              X