Are we regressing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we regressing?

Although I never experienced it, it was evidently quite common for men and boys to swim naked in certain situations, but with the advent of more mixed facilities this wonderful practice was killed off. However, one would have thought that with greater openness regarding nudity today certain practices would be relaxed. Not so; I think I have seen everything now in absurdities.

My wife and I recently attended the official opening of a new sports complex in our area. To my amazement I saw the following notice in the single sex shower area: "To preserve modesty, would visitors please wear their swimming costumes when using the showers"! One of the reasons for using the showers was surely to give costumes a rinse to remove some of the traces of chlorine, but now it seems swimmers using those facilities have to take their unrinsed costumes home. Is this twenty-first century returning to Victorianism?!!!

Although I never experienced it, it was evidently quite common for men and boys to swim naked in certain situations, but with the advent of more mixed facilities this wonderful practice was killed off. However, one would have thought that with greater openness regarding nudity today certain practices would be relaxed. Not so; I think I have seen everything now in absurdities.

My wife and I recently attended the official opening of a new sports complex in our area. To my amazement I saw the following notice in the single sex shower area: "To preserve modesty, would visitors please wear their swimming costumes when using the showers"! One of the reasons for using the showers was surely to give costumes a rinse to remove some of the traces of chlorine, but now it seems swimmers using those facilities have to take their unrinsed costumes home. Is this twenty-first century returning to Victorianism?!!!

Comment

This is certainly extremely alarming. I hope you aren't going to go to that spports facility later. My father swam naked in high school all the time, but only with other boys, and I never had the chance to do that, even when everyone at the pool was male. One good thing though, most kids at the locker room at school do shower naked, but I think mostly for hygenic reasons.

Comment

I'm not a fan of communal shower areas. What's wrong with individual shower cubicles? As for rinsing your costume - you can do that under any tap either at the pool facility or when you get home.

quote:
        Is this twenty-first century returning to Victorianism?!!!

Victorianism had its virtues.

Stu

Comment

Th use of communal showers opens the door to acceptance of other naked bodies as well as our own.

I feel if all schools had communal showers in twenty years c/o beaches would outnumber textile beaches.

Comment

Stu wonders aloud, "What's wrong with individual shower cubicles?"

They take much longer to clean and disinfect. The shower curtains need replacing, or if doors they build up a soap film that's hard to maintain.

Practical.

Comment

quote:
              They take much longer to clean and disinfect. The shower curtains need replacing, or if doors they build up a soap film that's hard to maintain.

OK, but if customers prefer them - want a bit of privacy - and it appears they do, then isn't it worth that bit of extra work? After all, for whom do these facilities exist? Are they there for the benefit of managers and cleaners? Or is the customer supreme?

Stu

Comment

The "extra work" winds up eventually in higher member fees.
                The "communal showers" are therefore preferable.
                So,another benefit to the comforts of a clothes free lifestyle-fee savings.

Comment

"To preserve modesty, would visitors please wear their swimming costumes when using the showers"!

If this is in the locker/changing room area, why modesty? Are they next going to suggest that you change in and out of your swimsuit in a cubicle as well? Showers and locker rooms are places for nudity--reasnable nudity. Nudity with the purposes of cleaning and changing.

This is unbelievable--shower areas with no nudity!

Bob S.

Comment

Why would anyone want to "Preserve Modesty" anyway?
                    This type of modesty goes against everything natural on earth.

If people were more Modest when they spoke of their Wealth, Posessions, and Skills, and less modest about their bodies, it would be a better world.

Steve

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by Nude in the North:
                      Why would anyone want to "Preserve Modesty" anyway?
                      This type of modesty goes against everything natural on earth.

If people were more Modest when they spoke of their Wealth, Posessions, and Skills, and less modest about their bodies, it would be a better world.

Steve

Well said that man, this statement illustrates just what twisted world we live in, over here it has been known, in some cases to, get more time in prison for fraud than for murder.

Pete Knight

Comment

quote:
                        This is unbelievable--shower areas with no nudity!

Bob - that sounds wonderful to me!!!!

I would never object to sema-sex nudity in a locker room but, if given the choice, I would prefer to avoid it. Individual cubicles may cost a bit more, but if that's what people prefer - and it seems that they do these days - that's what they should get. Why not?

Stu

Comment

This is a case of the lunatics running the asylum if there ever was one.

Sheeesh!

Oh, and to answer the topic's orginating question ... it seems to be so at this gym ... unfortunately such lunacy is cropping up more often elsewhere as well.
                          It is simply unhygienic to bathe in swim trunks as it is unhygienic to swim in swim trunks. This gym and others of it's ilk are promoting unhealthy practices and attitudes pure and simple.

Comment

I have seen guys walk into shower stalls dressed in boxer shorts and tee shirts and then close the curtain and proceed to take a shower. Jeez.........let's take this to a ridiculous level and insist that guys in a men's locker room never get undressed and are required to bath behind a 'terrorist' proof shower door that must be locked with deadbolts before the shower will operate. That way their modesty can always be preserved and their honor defended.

Comment

..and I've seen people come and go to/from the gym without changing. They do that at HOME, where THEY can set the rules for THEMSELVES instead of thrusting their insecurities and idiosynchracies upon anyone within shouting distance.

If you don't like what's going on somewhere, you are free to turn around and walk away. So do that.

If I want to take off my clothes to take a shower in a room where showers are installed -- and I'm a paying member -- then I'll do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X