school showers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• school showers

i think we have a big problem, body acceptance. obisety is a big problem, i think that everybody should be required to take p.e. classes all the time. some schools take out gym for more educational time, well that's why kids are fat. schools should require gym. let's get to the point, everybody should take showers after gym or sports in this country. it should be a law. through congress. when you go to the military, dorm rooms, or health clubs. they will have communal showers. and you will not take a shower because of body acceptance and being nude to other people. that's bad. so people should take showers in school. it builds up body acceptance for the real life. everyone is scared at first in a communal shower but, you get used to it which is what is needed. so i urge everyone to write to your congressman and mkae this a country law!!!!!

i think we have a big problem, body acceptance. obisety is a big problem, i think that everybody should be required to take p.e. classes all the time. some schools take out gym for more educational time, well that's why kids are fat. schools should require gym. let's get to the point, everybody should take showers after gym or sports in this country. it should be a law. through congress. when you go to the military, dorm rooms, or health clubs. they will have communal showers. and you will not take a shower because of body acceptance and being nude to other people. that's bad. so people should take showers in school. it builds up body acceptance for the real life. everyone is scared at first in a communal shower but, you get used to it which is what is needed. so i urge everyone to write to your congressman and mkae this a country law!!!!!

Comment

roadguy44: Welcome to the forums. Nice to have new people pop up every now and again with new ideas. I agree in that gym should be mandatory in our schools and shower afterwards, but the government making a law is not a good idea. We need smaller government, not larger. It should be the schools that set the requirement and to keep away government intrusion. The governments' job is to set the guidelines. It is the schools that should set the policies.

Again, welcome.

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by roadguy44:
        [qb] i think we have a big problem, body acceptance. obisety is a big problem, i think that everybody should be required to take p.e. classes all the time. some schools take out gym for more educational time, well that's why kids are fat. schools should require gym. let's get to the point, everybody should take showers after gym or sports in this country. it should be a law. through congress. when you go to the military, dorm rooms, or health clubs. they will have communal showers. and you will not take a shower because of body acceptance and being nude to other people. that's bad. so people should take showers in school. it builds up body acceptance for the real life. everyone is scared at first in a communal shower but, you get used to it which is what is needed. so i urge everyone to write to your congressman and mkae this a country law!!!!! [/qb]
        So what are you going to do when people refuse to take communal showers - as I would refuse to do that? And how does that fit into the idea of freedom and liberty?

Attempting to force people to be naked in front of others when they find that distressing is a form of abuse.

Stu

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by stu2630:
          [qb]So what are you going to do when people refuse to take communal showers - as I would refuse to do that? And how does that fit into the idea of freedom and liberty?

Attempting to force people to be naked in front of others when they find that distressing is a form of abuse.[/qb]
          Hear, hear. I outgrew it, but in high school I was one of those who refused school showers. I fully support keeping them as an option, but if anyone tried to require my child to get naked in school against his will, I'd be the first to sue. It's my experience that no one in the US much cares what the law is on certain issues; they're far more concerned with what their insurance company has to say. I can't imagine the insurance company that would continue to underwrite a school district that went around begging for a lawsuit.

I may not like the insurance industry and its dominance of our lives, but I'd be willing to use it to protect our children.

Comment

Hi Stu,
            Haven't seen you about for awhile. Hope your physical problems are being successfully addressed. (Obviously, your mental problems continue to resist the tender mercys of sweet reason. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Just Kidding!!)
            You suggest that forcing people to be naked in front of others (communal showers) is not compatible with the idea of freedom and liberty and is a form of abuse. So, when YOU would FORCE people to be CLOTHED in front of others... how does THAT fit with freedom and liberty?
            best,
            b.l.

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by Baron Lake:
              [qb] Hi Stu,
              Haven't seen you about for awhile. Hope your physical problems are being successfully addressed. (Obviously, your mental problems continue to resist the tender mercys of sweet reason. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Just Kidding!!)
              You suggest that forcing people to be naked in front of others (communal showers) is not compatible with the idea of freedom and liberty and is a form of abuse. So, when YOU would FORCE people to be CLOTHED in front of others... how does THAT fit with freedom and liberty?
              best,
              b.l. [/qb]
              Hi Baron. Thank you - I'm slowly getting better but it'll be a long haul. Fortunately my mental health is as robust as usual.

The difference in the point you cite is that if I choose not to get naked in front of others in a shower situation then I am causing neither hurt nor offence to anyone. If you get naked in front of others in an inappropriate public place then you know there is likely to be a significant proportion of the population who will be offended by the sight of it. Here is a situation where the few want to behave in such a way as will cause offence and discomfort to the many to such a degree as to cause the many discomfort and impinge upon their right to use and enjoy public places. This means a balance has to be struck because one man's liberty can be another man's prison. The issue of forcing people to shower naked in front of others is not such an issue.

The suggestion by RoadGuy seemed to be that people should be forced to shower naked in front of others was purely "for their own good". This is regardless of whether the subject finds this ordeal to be traumatic and also disregards the fact that it is not generally accepted (except perhaps by nudists) that there are any significant benefits to be derived from such a requirement.

Forcing people to cover their genitals in public in order to make public places as comfortable and therefore accessible as possible for as many people as possible is self-evidently beneficial.

Stu

Comment

Hello Stu! Glad to see you here again.

In my school days I didn't shower after physical education. Sure it wasn't because of required nakedness in front of others. Only it didn't become a habit of myself and the majority of others. The teacher expected us to do showering but didn't supervise it.

No, we shouldn't use force against those that don't go into shower. Simply treat it as a normal and expected thing.

Kari P

Comment

stu,
                  So if the elements of liberty and freedom are to be defined by the whim of the majority I guess we have to make sure our gang is bigger than yours. It may take awhile but we're working on it and since our carrot is better than your stick...
                  [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
                  b.l.

Comment

That we no longer require such showers after PE is just proof of serious mental dysfunction becoming part of our social fabric.

Cleanliness should be a requirement. Showers, nude, should be mandatory after PE unless it is the last class of the school day. It is basic and essential hygiene. Period.

If group showers are not acceptable, individual prude shower stalls should be made available. No shower, no PE, no passing.

-Mark

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by Naturist Mark:
                      [qb]...If group showers are not acceptable, individual prude shower stalls should be made available. No shower, no PE, no passing.[/qb]
                      At the risk of sounding like Stu, that would suit me just fine. I think PE is a waste of time that could be put to better use training kids to hold a job or be good citizens.

Obviously, I was one of those egghead academic types who hated gym class with a passion. I think it should be offered as an option, but not required. And if some twit tries to force my kid to strip at school, I'll have to assume it's to get his jollies. I will take appropriate action.

Comment

they should at least be recommended .

Comment

Why can't the kids shower with trunks on if they don't want to be nude? The idea is to get clean and for personal hygiene. Give them their own changing stalls, if they are that afraid. Good lord, if everyone is that uptight about even cleansing themselves off after a hard gym session, then what is this world coming to? Who said that the kids had to be nude? Granted, you get cleaner, but com'mon, doesn't personal hygiene fit somewhere in this picture? And we wonder why our children are becoming more and more sensative.

I used to be shy in junior high, due to size, but eventually I got over it. I decided I didn't want to feel "dirty" the rest of the day. That carried over into high school and eventually the service and later in locker rooms. It just felt better to be clean after a hard workout. And yes, there were those who did wear trunks in the locker rooms. I guess our society is rapidly changing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah I know that we shouldnt force kids to get naked and that people who do sometimes do it just to get their jollies but I think the whole reasoning for forcing them to take showers is so that they will get clean and so they can get used to being naked in mixed company and not be ashamed of themselves. There is no reason why kids should be shy of being nude in front of others and they shouldnt be ashamed of others seeing their genitals or making comments about them and such behavior should not be tolerated and the shy kids should get some counseling so they can deal with the nudity better. Deal with the issues, not the showers. Kids used to have to take showers everyday at school it was the norm and was expected and noone really questioned it, we just need that normalcy back and we need to get all this pedophile/sexism bull**** out of our communities and stop worrying about it so much. Giving kids stalls to shower in doesnt solve their emotional issues nor does it get them to be accepted both on the outside or inside by anyone else. Learning to deal with such issues and being nude around others on a regular basis helps this alot, not throwin em in some stall away from their classmates and teaching them to be ashamed of what they really are.

Comment

So what are you going to do when people refuse to take communal showers - as I would refuse to do that?
                              ------------------------------------------------

If it was the rule then you would have to abide by it. If people refuse to take showers then they choose to fail PE and not get credit for it, simple as that.

-----------------------------------------------
                              And how does that fit into the idea of freedom and liberty?

We are talking about personal hygeine and body acceptance, among other things here. They can always chose not to take the shower and of course they can chose to fail the class, nobody is stopping them from doing that. This wasnt a problem 20 some years ago, why is it now? This was a common and accepted fact of life.

Attempting to force people to be naked in front of others when they find that distressing is a form of abuse.
                              ----------------------------------------------

So you find and deal with what is distressing the child through counseling and being open and friendly with them. Letting kids be fat is unhealthy and allowing them to have this shame about their bodies and allowing them to hide in fear from their friends shows incompetitence and ignorance on the part of the school, hygeine and acceptance of others is just as important as education. I think kids having a healthy body and mind is not abusive at all.

==Mike==

Comment

Working...
                              X