Happiest nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happiest nation

British scientist Adrian White from Leicester univ. has named after large studies that Danes are the happiest on this planet. Actually no wonder when they are not forced use swimmingwear. The real study was much larger than my private abbreviation of it.

British scientist Adrian White from Leicester univ. has named after large studies that Danes are the happiest on this planet. Actually no wonder when they are not forced use swimmingwear. The real study was much larger than my private abbreviation of it.

Comment

I heard that too, in Denmark only a handful of beaches require a swimsuit.

Comment

There are things that surprised me in that classification though: Saudi Arabia is rank 31th while Japan is rank 90th and France 62nd.

That the Scandinavians are at the top of the chart is not a surprise, but that the Saudis would be far happier than the French and the Japanese makes no sense to me.The World Map of Happiness

Comment

They pay almost nothing for gas, why wouldnt they be happy.

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by labtec11:
            They pay almost nothing for gas, why wouldnt they be happy.

Because Saudi Arabia is one of the least free country in the world (Women do not have a right to drive a car as exemple).

Comment

I found this study very interesting, especially when the researcher wrote, "Health is more important than wealth or education. ...It was found that satisfaction with life correlated most closely with health (a correlation of .62), followed by wealth (.52) and then education (.51) ...and ....

"The map is based on an analysis of the results from over 100 studies. It uses data published by by UNESCO, the CIA, the New Economics Foundation, the WHO, the Veenhoven Database, the Latinbarometer, the Afrobarometer, and the UNHDR."

When I looked at the Top 10 "happiest" countries, a quick glance shows that most of these countries have socialized medicine -- in other words, free hospital care that's paid for with your income taxes or otherwise. I was proud to see Canada is at # 10.

(1) Denmark (2)Switzerland (3) Austria (4) Iceland (5) Bahamas (6) Finland (7) Sweden (8) Bhutan (9) Brunei (10) Canada

Of course, in Brunei, isn't everyone a millionaire anyway?

I guess this gives credence to the expression that if you don't have your health, you don't have anything.

Comment

But a lot of theses numbers are strange. Why people in Honduras and Dominican Republic would be happier than the French or the Japanese?

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by Eric6420:
                  But a lot of theses numbers are strange. Why people in Honduras and Dominican Republic would be happier than the French or the Japanese?

Rural life, little crime, natural foods/surroundings, families nearby VS. Overcrowded cities, crime, pollution, stress, commuting to work, etc.

Hondurans and D. Republicans work to live, and not live to work, like so many people in industrialized nations. Just my opinion.

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by Journeyman:

"The map is based on an analysis of the results from over 100 studies. It uses data published by by UNESCO, the CIA, the New Economics Foundation, the WHO, the Veenhoven Database, the Latinbarometer, the Afrobarometer, and the UNHDR."

(1) Denmark (2)Switzerland (3) Austria (4) Iceland (5) Bahamas (6) Finland (7) Sweden (8) Bhutan (9) Brunei (10) Canada

Of course, in Brunei, isn't everyone a millionaire anyway?

I guess this gives credence to the expression that if you don't have your health, you don't have anything.

As a citizen of number 6 I fully agree Journeymans exellent last sentence

Comment

Maybe the responses of women were discounted in the Saudi part of the survey?
                      Or somebody looked over the respondents' shoulders telling them they were very happy indeed, or else.

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by Eric6420:

Probably because they are not forced to eat snails, frogs legs or raw fish and drink hot wine.

C'est un vie tres difficile...q'uelle domage.

BTW, isn't Denmark kind of cold most of the year? Not counting this extraodinary summer.

Zevei

Comment

Australia Happiness
                          Ranking 26
                          Life Expectancy 80.3
                          GDP per capita 31.9

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by Jason Lee:
                            Australia Happiness
                            Ranking 26
                            Life Expectancy 80.3
                            GDP per capita 31.9

What about beer consumption per capita?

Z

Comment

Japan has a low crime rate and the developed world's highest life expectancy, or nearly, but the Japanese are not a happy bunch. I'd guess the reason is they work too damn hard and endure miserable commuting to afford tiny apartments in overcrowded cities, and their society promotes conformism, not freedom.

Incidentally, there was reecntly another survey on who's happiest with their sex lives, and the Austrians came out at #1 with the Japanese dead last.

Comment

Working...
                              X