Treasures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treasures

Hi everyone, hw here. I've been looking through some of the old posts here and haven't seen this topic so here goes. Has anyone ever found anything interesting while on nature hikes, or beach walks. Treasures like old coins, jewelery
    or the like? Just wondering.
    hw

Hi everyone, hw here. I've been looking through some of the old posts here and haven't seen this topic so here goes. Has anyone ever found anything interesting while on nature hikes, or beach walks. Treasures like old coins, jewelery
    or the like? Just wondering.
    hw

Comment

All I tend to find is litter!!
      Everywhere - remains of beach barbeques, empty glass bottles, plastic, crap.
      I know this isn't following your original thought, but I wish people would be a bit more respectful of our natural areas.

Comment

I have to agree (unfortunately) with the above post. I make it a point to bring a trash bag with me on my hikes/trips. It is my hope one day that I will be able to leave the area without others garbage. As I said, 1 day I hope it will happen. I would encourage everyone to do this as "our" postive input into our areas. Please respect the beauty of our spots.

Comment

Found a dollar bill floating in the surf at Navarre Beach once.

Comment

I have a collection of 4 completely intact sand dollars that I found while walking along the beach at San Onofre last summer.

Comment

I have found sand dollars too. My favorite thing to do is collect drift wood from the beach and use a wood burning tool on it. Pictures just seem to emerge as I go. I have made wind-chimes, or woodwinds with some of my creations. I have also made what I like to think of as "Talking Sticks", found among Native American folklore.
              *************************************************O n another note, yes, I agree some people leave lots of trash everywhere, but I always carry a plastic bag for my trash, and my treasures!

Have a nice nude day.
              hw [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

One of my most treasured memories was when I was about 10yrs old(over 50yrs ago...how time flys) and I discovered a single mariposa lily while hiking in the dry grass of late May on our ranch.I couldnt believe how beautiful it was. It sparked my interest in wildflowers which still brings me much joy while hiking now.I have drawn ,painted and photographed them for many years. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've found many hats on my beach hikes. I've got about 8 that were in good enough condition to use after being washed.

Lots of bottles and such, my favorite hiking trail is an isolated beach on the Woodtick Peninsula at the west end of Lake Erie where anything that falls off a boat may eventually come ashore. Sometimes we come across something that must have spent years coming to shore, like an old style 'tin' steel beer can.

This was a hunting ground for centuries (still is, its part of Michigan's Erie State Game Area), so there are quite a few arrowheads in the sand and till. I've got a collection of about 10 fairly good specimens.

Other things I've found -clothes, LOTS of clothes. Especially single shoes, bathing suits (who needs them?), underwear, and just about everything else in lesser amounts. I can understand taking clothes off on the beach, but I do wonder how so many people managed to leave without them. Hmmmm...

My rule is always to pack out more than I bring in, there is always a bit of trash and such to take away, even if you can't get it all, everyone can take a little.

-Mark

Comment

Hey Mark.....interesting you mention arrow heads. We used to find them on a CA beach when we were younger. As soon as the State took over the beach, no more arrow heads and plenty of trash. Go figure. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X