Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nudism or Naturism? Are they really the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nudism or Naturism? Are they really the same?

Ok, I know that these terms have become interchangable, but are they really the same thing? I'm not sure, but I don't think they are.

This is the way I see it anyway. Nudism is a recreational activity while Naturism is a lifestyle. What's the difference you ask? Well, a naturist would gladly live their lives nude whenever conditions permit, i.e. housework, shopping, ect., where as a nudist would rather restrict their nude activity to social activites, i.e. camping, swimming, ect., only.

That is the conclusion I've come to after having hundreds of conversations over the last 4 years or so, with others who pratice some form of social nudity. I will admit I could be wrong and that's why I posted this topic; to find out how other feel, so please share your views.

Hope to hear from others soon.
    2RK (aka: DoubleRK)

Ok, I know that these terms have become interchangable, but are they really the same thing? I'm not sure, but I don't think they are.

This is the way I see it anyway. Nudism is a recreational activity while Naturism is a lifestyle. What's the difference you ask? Well, a naturist would gladly live their lives nude whenever conditions permit, i.e. housework, shopping, ect., where as a nudist would rather restrict their nude activity to social activites, i.e. camping, swimming, ect., only.

That is the conclusion I've come to after having hundreds of conversations over the last 4 years or so, with others who pratice some form of social nudity. I will admit I could be wrong and that's why I posted this topic; to find out how other feel, so please share your views.

Hope to hear from others soon.
    2RK (aka: DoubleRK)

Comment

Yeah, I remembered my password, I can be ME again... lol [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm probably not as well qualified to answer your question as some of the older (no offense guys [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) and more experienced members, but here's my two cents worth...

Personally, I think the two terms are interchangeable and could really mean either definition. It depends a lot on who you talk to and what that person defines the two terms themselves, so sometimes its open to personal interpretation.

If someone else can do a better job at defining each term, feel free!

Stay naked,

TJ

Comment

I prefer to call my self a nudist rather than a naturist. Not all textiles would know what a naturist is and often confuse it with naturalist-like Rocket always does. However, pretty much everyone knows what nudist means, even if they are confused as to what a nudist really is or does.

I am always nude at home and love going to the resort. I'm not into camping, hiking, or pack-packing, nude or clothed.

Comment

I think you pretty much have it right, Double2RK. Nudists go to nudist camps, and in my opinion, are more conservative and less activist on average.

Naturists go to out-of-the-way places to be naked. The community feeling for them is not necessary. They are, in my opinion, more liberal and more activist on average.

These descriptions are not absolutes. I, myself, generally refer to myself as a nudist just because it is easier to say. But at the same time, I use the terms interchangeably along with clothes-free lifestyle.

Bob S.

Comment

Like Jon-Marc I always refer to myself as a nudist and have for 30 years long before some nudists decided to start calling themselves naturists. I live nude about 90% of the time. It is my lifestyle. I really don't see the difference between the two words. That goes for the two words nude and naked also.

Comment

Not that it matters a great deal, but I prefer to describe myself as a naturist. For me that term contains two important implications:

1. It's about more than getting naked. I have identified with a set of ideas and values, and most especially those that are associated with Christian naturism.

2. It's always connected to being nude in nature. My wife and I are only intereted in social nudity in connection with enjoying the outdoors. We are happy to accept a friend's invitation to a sunny afternoon by the pool, but shedding our clothes on a winter evening in someone's home just wouldn't be of interest.

But the bottom line is that nudists and naturists each mean whatever they mean when they use the terms, and there isn't a single defination accepted by all.

Comment

RE:
                  """"Nudism is a recreational activity while Naturism is a lifestyle. Naturist would gladly live their lives nude whenever conditions permit, i.e. housework, shopping, ect., where as a nudist would rather restrict their nude activity to social activites, i.e. camping, swimming, ect., only""""

I was thinking contrary.

Nudism is historically wellknown as house application AND beach application, so it is surely been lifestyle.

While naturism is much younger term what was invented to distance from some people giggling about nudism and nudists. So naturism = nudism, basically.

But small difference may be cached if realize that word core consists of "nature" or "nature loving", so I wonder if naturist aim could be work nude in his household environment what is far off from the Nature.

So I quess naturist should use enough to estinguish his great urge with beach or resort activities, while nudist use nudity everywhere when it is practical (as me).

The same time, contrary, wording "naturist" may be translated too, as "natural loving" instead of "nature loving", and then the meaning turns onto opposite, i.e. stays equal to nudist.

May be such is one of the beauties in the life in it`s completness, that everything can be considered by many edges and translated in different ways??

Comment

I agree. I always had the two terms the other way round, that the nudist was one who sheds clothes at any opportunity, while the naturist only takes clothes off when appropriate, as it where.
                    I put myself in the latter category, as a naturist, in that I don't go round the house naked (especially not now, it's too cold) but I love getting my kit off down the beach and for swimming at organised nude swims. I like to sunbathe naked and I often work in the garden that way, too, when it is particularly hot. But not the rest of the time. I really can't be bothered!

Comment

Working...
                    X