X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baby Lumpkin
    • Feb 2002

Are only Caucasians nudists?

The AANR Bulletin always displays photos of White people. Are there no Black nudists?
    No Asian nudists? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
  • Baby Lumpkin
    • Feb 2002

The AANR Bulletin always displays photos of White people. Are there no Black nudists?
    No Asian nudists? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

• SirronD
      • Mar 2002

I am a Black American Naturist, but I know of very few others. I have seen very few Blacks at nude beaches, or in naturist clubs. And I have never seen a Black naturist family.

Am I the only one? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] (retorical question only. I know that there are more!)

Comment

• naked bob
        • Jan 2002

SirronD
        I have always wondered what the deal is about this. Is it trurely a cultural thing? I have been to most if not all of the nudist venues in southern California, a fairly culturally diverse part of the U.S. In that time I have only seen a few black people and only one black couple. I have seen one or two asian couples and a couple of hispanic ancestry of course I am making assumptions based on my observations, striking up conversations with strangers in the nude is often easily misinterpreted.

I wonder why black families and couples and even black women are so poorly represented? My limited experience with the black friends that I have is that they are very gregarious outgoing friendly and highly social. So what is the deal?

I believe one of the greatest strengths of our country is our diversity. Imagine how much more acceptance we would have with a little more ethnic diversity.

Comment

• SirronD
          • Mar 2002

I believe that mountian man's hypothysis is correct. It has to do with religious and cultural values.

Many of the Africans who were captured and brought to the Americas (and survived the middle passage) had tribal customs where nudity was the normal practice. However, nudity was absolutely forbidden by the puritan practice of Christianity in the Americas. Slaves who removed their clothing were beaten (and killed). Additionally slaves were forbidden to speak in their native languages. Writing was forbidden. And all religous practices other than this puritanical version of Christianity were forbidden. It only took a single generation for the entire cultural history of the Africans (including customs of dress - or undress) to be completly lost to the slaves. Absent their own culture and customs, there was only the "Puritan" American Christianity to fill the void. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

The taboo against nudity is the first lesson taught by Christian and Islamic missionaries to any "Tribal" conquest. Africans, the Indigenous Americans, the Indegenous of the various Pacific Islands all learned this taboo first. And it was taught that nudity equals savagery and ignorance, without exception. The civil and intellegent wear clothes.

I do not speak for all Black Americans, but only for myself. But this is what I believe based on what I have studied and learned.

For me, naturism is a way to connect with my distant ancestors, and my past (past, past) culture.

And I love the feeling of the sun on my skin. It is how it should be. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• David77
            Platinum Member
            • Feb 2002

SirronD,
            Thank you for your great post on 3-16-02.
            Some "whites" want a darker tone to their (beige) skin, so they get a deep tan from the sun (or purchase some "tan-in-a-bottle"). Some "blacks" want a lighter tone to their skin, so purchase, at Walgreens Drug Stores, some skin lightener cream - and STAY OUT OF THE SUN. Do you think that this latter has anything to do with keeping African Americans from enjoying the sun at naturist resorts?

On our vacation, a woman friend, who was African American, was in our small group at Acapulco and she was very particular in avoiding the sun as she stated that she was avoiding getting a dark tan.

(Of course, proper sun screan can control, for ALL of us, the amount of tanning and skin cancer).

Comment

• SirronD
              • Mar 2002

This (staying out of the sun to keep from becomming dark) is not unique to Black Americans. It is such a problem in some African countries that the skin bleach products (the ones available at Walgreens here) have been outlawed (the products are very dangerous with prolonged use). It is also an issue with South Asians (with an entire color based caste system still in place in India!!), people from the Pacific Islands, people from South and Central America... Basically anywhere, where the darker people are marginalized, to the benifit of lighter people.

Watch any typical movie or TV program (worldwide). The handsome guy will 98% of the time be White. The beautiful girl will 98% of the time be White. Only when a program is targeted to an specific audience will there be a non white character that is specifically signified as being handsome or beautiful. (I ABSOLUTELY am NOT saying the Whites are not beautiful, but rather that the rest of us are also beautiful).

So while growing up and watching TV "everybody" beautiful is white. And remember that this was also what your parents and grandparents saw.

Unfortunately, many dark people (of various races) believe that lighter is more appealing. Even worse is that they continue to teach that ligher is more appealing (even to showing favoritism to lighter children).

Old style IQ tests for children previously asked the question: "Which is the most beautiful?" This was a multiple choice question, with two images to select your answer. One image was the face of a thin white woman. The other image was the face of a larger dark woman. The "correct" answer was the thin white woman. Anyone who found the larger dark woman as more beautiful was marked as less intellegent.

Note: there is also size as well as color/race discrimination.

But this issue (not wanting to get dark) does not keep people (in general) from enjoying naturism specifically. But rather from any contact with the sun (including textile beaches). Specifically, they (those who don't want to get dark) don't want their faces and arms (as that is all that is exposed in the clothed world) to get dark.

So indoor activities durring the day become the norm! And you only go out at night.

One thing I appreciate about Naturism is the teaching of body acceptance. Color is a part of my body. When I go into the sun, I get darker. This is natural. This is my body, doing what it was designed to do. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

• David77
                Platinum Member
                • Feb 2002

SirronD,
                Thank you for your reply to my question. I was especially moved by your last paragraph about body acceptance in naturism (which, hopefully, we all strive for).

Comment

• BigTim
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Yahoo IM: gymnos_tim

I was just looking at some older postings and noticed this topic.

I just thought I'd mention that at Haulover Beach where we frequently go, there are many people of all different colors, which is a good representation of the diversity of South Florida.

Actually, the "mother" of Haulover Beach, in other words the woman who pushed for the creation of the clothing optional section and who continues to lead the movement both locally, statewide, and nationwide is African-American.

Comment

• florida-david
                    Bronze Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • peace, love one another, have nude fun

wow, were did the time go!

i think most american nudists are white folk, but than again, it would seem to me that most of the american population looks white. the truth is, its hard to tell who's actually white any more as society is loosing its prejudice and becoming more mixed. my wife is korean, my two boys are 1/8 swiss, 1/4 german, 1/4 other, and 1/2 korean. my daughter (adopted) is 100% korean.

the population of miami is varied. this was not the case when i was growing up in ft. lauderdale. i love the mix, its good for everyone. so come no matter what your mix.

Comment

• stevenf64
                      Bronze Member
                      • Mar 2003

florida david did you know that your boys are over 100% haha [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

• Scoop
                        • Mar 2003

Well I've gone to nude beaches in New Jersey and New York and I definitely saw more minority folk there, but I don't think those people are going to clubs. Maybe some sort of outreach is necessary?

Comment

• Qwertie
                          • Apr 2003

[qb]florida david did you know that your boys are over 100% haha [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [/qb][/QUOTE]

Be all that you can be! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

• sailorman72
                            • Mar 2003
                            • Every day above ground is a good day.

A few years ago the wife and I spent a week at a CO resort in the Dominican Republic and met a black couple from Chicago. They were the first black naturists I had ever met. I have seen a few hispanics and asians, but not many. During our recent trip to Australia, the manager of the resort said that he found the number of Japanese naturists was really growing.

We live in Singapore for the time being and we see as much skin whitening cream as we do suntan lotion. I just wish there was a naturist venue in Singapore.

Comment

• eric731
                              • Mar 2002

This is issue I find very important! This issue, I believe, is the greatest hinderance to more of the general population accepting this lifestyle...that is there are too many "white boys". If the national organizations, could steer away from advertising the lifestyle with just "white" models and get a more diverse model base, more people in general would accept this lifestyle. Not all the pictures have to be shot in the sun, some could be shot indoors enjoying the lifestyle. Maybe a "before" and "after" shot would be good, so the general public can see the different importance nudity makes when clothes are taken off when it comes to sex, race, religion, creed, and socioeconomic stature. People will see that we are alike when we are nude. People will see that no matter the color, sex, or money in their pocket that they can enjoy the lifestyle as well. With more diverse pictures, more acceptance of the lifestyle will come.

Comment

Working...
                              X