important: how much money is needed to start a videogame company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• important: how much money is needed to start a videogame company

i am doing a project for collage were i am proposing to my class as if they were a bank and i need to know how much mony it would take to start a nudism orented video game company.

i am doing a project for collage were i am proposing to my class as if they were a bank and i need to know how much mony it would take to start a nudism orented video game company.

Comment

also with the loan i open how long will it take to pay it back and how much money should i expect to be making a year.

keep in mind this is all hypothetical just play along with it.

Comment

I doubt that you'd have anything to sell in a year. It depends on the videogame genre, the number of folks working on it, if you already have a story (for an RPG), and artwork. For instance, a game for playing poker could be done in a year, even by 1 person if that person had all of the talents to do the required programming, art, and marketing work. But if it was an RPG with an involved storyline and a lot of artwork, then it would be more than 1 person could do in a year, even if he/she had all of the talents needed.

Comment

role-playing game
          1-2 players
          it's gonna be G rated -duh-
          probly gonna be for xbox360
          and the amount of people i will have working on it is at least 20

how much money will i need to get on my feet
          how much money will i be making
          when wil i be able to pay the bank back.

keep in mind this is for my school project.

Comment

all i know is it takes 10s of millions to make a game and a very long time (years) and with RPG games its even harder as you have to make it work for each different things someone might do as no 2 games might be the same. also you have to do all the testing on it to make sure no bugs are in it. eg walking thru wall or on water.

Comment

Try looking at this Wikipedia entry

Comment

Aaron,

According to the "Wikipedia" entry/link by "Buff Man in MI" Keep it hypothetical as you will fail with the class, bank, and project as terrible risk independently of ever succeeding.

Even seasoned experienced professionals in this game field fail after millions of dollars of research, development, backing, and promotion.

What is a "nudism orientated video game company"?

Merriam-Webster dictionary say's "nudism" is:
                definition of "nudism"
                Pronunciation: 'nü-"di-z&m, 'nyü-
                Function: noun
                : The practice of going nude especially in sexually mixed groups and during periods of time spent at specially secluded places.

Do you mean an Adult orientated video game company?

You would be doomed before you got started as your not an adult, could not get a loan, and by having nude characters in your games you would be eliminating 90+% of target audience and consumers as they would have to be 18 years of age or sign/check an adult disclaimer even to play such adult games. You would be doomed in the video game business by only developing any game for one platform anyway.

There are many amortization and loan online links where you can figure the payments, and time to pay off a hypothetical or real loan situation.

Loan Amortization Calculator

Mortgage calculator

Hypothetical or real you should expect a negative cash flow for years without any income, and as the article says a $50,000,000.00 loan would not be unrealistic for 20 employees, and 5 years of development with high chances of failure before you would ever see a cent in return.

So keep it a pipe dream, thought, and comical hypothetical situation with play money for your college project, as no one without income, equity, or experience [unless you won the lottery for 95+ million dollar lottery] could even think of a risk like that to a teenager, adult, or even most companies.

Comment

Even some games that people thought would be a spectacular success, ended up losing money big time beccause people simply didn't like the game play or the hardware requirements were too steep for most people.

I have seen games push the limits too far beyond what even high end PC systems can handle with a decent frame rate. By the time the hardware truly gets fast enough for a lot of users to be able to comfortably run the game, the price has dropped too low for the company to earn any substantial income.

Some of the companies that develop games for Microsoft require 2 years to go from one version to the next. That is even with the current version as a starting point to give them a direction for the new version. To start an independent game company from scratch would be a whole lot harder. You wouldn't even have a core set of software routines to start from unless you purchased the rights from another game company.

Comment

No offense Aaron, but why are you asking a nudist group how much capital it would take to start a video game compamny. This is the worst type of homework help I have ever seen.

Go ask the experts. Go onto a video game website. Look into Google and find a video game board system.

Now that said, I will agree with others here that it will be virtually impossible. First, if you want it to be G-rated (or E as in video gmae ratings), it will not be able to have any nudity. Unless you can convince the industry that nudity is fine.

RPG? What are the people going to do? Sims? Adventure? Fantasy? Magick? Lots of more questions regarding the roles, settings, and the action.

Keep in mind that preproduction of a game is years. 20 game editors, how much are they being paid? Complete with any insurance?

Where are you HQed? What is the rent of the building? Electrical bills? Hardware? Software? Insurance?

You also need a die-hard pitch and some rock solid collateral. What you would actually need to do would be to forgo the bank and try to hook up with a video game company that would be willing to help you foot the bills.

I would agree with Gary's estimation more or less. A loan of well into the multi-millions (eight figures). And this for a game that by the creator's suggestions, would be impossible.

Bob S.

Comment

Go ask at http://www.IGDA.org (International Game Developers Association) Also go look up an article on salaries for programmers, etc... I know Game Developer magazine has done an article every year on that.

What are your 20 people doing? How many programers, artists, testers, tech people will there be?

If you are doing this as a start up company, you can go with recent graduates and save money that way. You'd need one experienced project lead to make sure everything is done.

I have a game idea that if I ever have the money I'm going to go ahead and do. But I figure it'll cost me from 1-3 million to develop, and take less than a year. (depending on size of team and their experience)

As you have seen with other replies there is a lot to think about. But I suggest going to http://www.igda.org and asking on their forums. You're going to have to flesh out your question some more though, or you're just going to get the same sort of replies.

Good luck.

Qikdraw

Comment

quote:
                        how much mony it would take
                        ALL of it, I'd say. If you can garner the total assets of Mutual Of New York, that ought to be sufficient!

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by NakedGary:
                          Aaron,

According to the "Wikipedia" entry/link by "Buff Man in MI" Keep it hypothetical as you will fail with the class, bank, and project as terrible risk independently of ever succeeding.

Even seasoned experienced professionals in this game field fail after millions of dollars of research, development, backing, and promotion.

What is a "nudism orientated video game company"?

Merriam-Webster dictionary say's "nudism" is:
                          definition of "nudism"
                          Pronunciation: 'nü-"di-z&m, 'nyü-
                          Function: noun
                          : The practice of going nude especially in sexually mixed groups and during periods of time spent at specially secluded places.

Do you mean an Adult orientated video game company?

You would be doomed before you got started as your not an adult, could not get a loan, and by having nude characters in your games you would be eliminating 90+% of target audience and consumers as they would have to be 18 years of age or sign/check an adult disclaimer even to play such adult games. You would be doomed in the video game business by only developing any game for one platform anyway.

There are many amortization and loan online links where you can figure the payments, and time to pay off a hypothetical or real loan situation.

Loan Amortization Calculator

Mortgage calculator

Hypothetical or real you should expect a negative cash flow for years without any income, and as the article says a $50,000,000.00 loan would not be unrealistic for 20 employees, and 5 years of development with high chances of failure before you would ever see a cent in return.

So keep it a pipe dream, thought, and comical hypothetical situation with play money for your college project, as no one without income, equity, or experience [unless you won the lottery for 95+ million dollar lottery] could even think of a risk like that to a teenager, adult, or even most companies.

nononono it will not be an adult only game. it will be g rated and yes there will be nudity. i do not see how a game with soo much publisity would not get a larg demografic to flock to it

Comment

maybe i could sell out to the sims. that is what the game is gonna be like. i nudist version of sims.

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by Aaron_bongart:
                              maybe i could sell out to the sims. that is what the game is gonna be like. i nudist version of sims.

Btw, there actually is a cheat code or patch that you can put into The Sims game that will make all the Sim people nude.

Comment

Working...
                              X