Terri Webb - Successful Appeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terri Webb - Successful Appeal

Terri Webb was committed to a mental hospital for cycling nude about a year ago. She has just successfully overturned the judgement.

See http://www.publications.ojd.state.or.us/A117575.htm

Rik

She should not have been sent there to begin with.... somebody needs to stick that judge in a mental hospital for abusing the judicial system.

Comment

Part of the problem we have here in California, So Cal to be exact, is that when judges are up for re-election their records or stance on particular issues are never made public.

They end up winning re-election by the few people that vote for them without really knowing who these people are or what they stand for.

That judge that sentenced Webb to the mental hospital should be made to pay the tax payers back the court costs at least. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

After reading Rik's link, I have to admit that she does sound like kind of a nut. Not that much of one that she needed to be put in a hospital, mind you, but a nut nonetheless.

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by Dukhat:
          [qb]After reading Rik's link, I have to admit that she does sound like kind of a nut. Not that much of one that she needed to be put in a hospital, mind you, but a nut nonetheless.[/qb]
          Hey, that's the same thing I said when I read your posts! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Comment

She doesn't sound like a nut; she sounds like a bold woman. And she obviously knows how much her body can take.

Comment

"She was found in Eugene riding her bicycle naked in near-freezing weather."

"She insisted on remaining unclothed and attempted to assault a nurse who tried to clothe her."

"She expressed no fear of assault because she could take care of herself."

"Appellant has an apartment, but confesses that she is unemployed and is no longer able to pay rent."

Sorry, but these quotes do not inspire me with a lot of confidence that this woman is "bold", unless your definition of "bold = not right in the head."

Comment

The woman likes to ride her bike nude in the cold -- maybe she's a bit eccentric. She does so in part to promote the cause of clothes-freedom everywhere -- she's an activist. She can't pay her rent -- because she's poor.

It's a real travesty of justice that seemingly rational people, trained in the law and medicine, could deny her her freedom in this way. Appalling.

Gary

Comment

I am with Dukhat,

Ever do anything nude in Eugene in the cold...those of us who have even for a short time, will tell you...she is in need of some mental health...and not just as an outpatient either.

I have been nude in Eugene for just long enough to run to my car when it is raining in the summertime there...and I call the Seattle Metro area home for just a little while longer...so I think my own actions serve as an example of how cold the area can really get anytime of the year...Burrrr anyone got a spare blanket I can warm up with [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

Greensunshine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I think she knows how much her body can take and she just wanted to get away from her apt to relax a bit. Maybe it's going to take all of us to be publically nude to get the word across to the clothed people that nudity in itself is not a bad thing. Sure enough, there are some people out there that have bad intentions when nude. That is something that all the "good nudists/naturists" can take care of. Right?!!!

Dale, West Des Moines, IA

Comment

We're all nuts in our own resepcts. I'll be the first to admit that I'm weird. In fact, when someone calls me weird, my response is "Thank you for noticing." I also am somewhat eccentric in certain aspects of my life. So what? After reading the reasons for putting her in the mental institution, I get the idea that it was all a waste.

She was put away for being naked in weather the authorities deemed too cold. Somewhere else in these forums, I recall seeing a conversation about walking barefoot (and naked) on ice way up north. Then there's the polar plunges that take place all over the world (well at least in places where the temps drop low enough). Should those people be committed? What's cold for one may be comfortable for another.

She was, according to testimony, well nourished, apparently healthy, and could take care of herself. Her only negative was her lack of a job. I can't see why they committed her. That kind of thing just makes you crazy, doesn't it? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Bob S.

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by greensunshine:
                        [qb]I am with Dukhat,

Ever do anything nude in Eugene in the cold...those of us who have even for a short time, will tell you...she is in need of some mental health...and not just as an outpatient either.
                        Greensunshine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [/qb]
                        That is what the judge said and he was found to be wrong. They gave her a physical exam and talked with her friends and roommate and she was never out long enough to cause herself any damage.

The judge evidently locked her up merely to avoid handling the sitation as he should have and this is unforgivable. He's the one that needs some "mental health" for doing that to an innocent person. I am glad the courts finally saw the truth and set her free.

How would you like it if you went to court and instead of hearing the facts they just said you are a nut and locked you up?

Comment

I'm with you, Cyndiann. The judge was arrogant to think his legal status qualifies him to make medical and/or mental condition decisions.

Not too many years ago, that was the standard sentence for all protestors in the USSR.

Comment

According to that judges opinion, everyone in Minnesota should be "locked up". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve

Comment

When I first heard about this case it concerned me as I thought about the future for all nudists.
                              If the courts are going to deal with anyone who does not "conform" to traditional ways by declaring them mental and institutionalze them, then we should all be concerned.
                              I am disappointed that already some here have called her "nuts". I have seen pictures on many sites of nude people laying in the snow and making snow angels. I have swam in the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon and the water was freezing. Am I nutty (I realize I have opened myself up for a shot here) or was the group I was with just doing something that is not normally done and doing it for a very short time?
                              I know people have trouble with activist, they tend to make us uncomfortable with ourselves.
                              Maybe we need more people who will be willing to take ridicule in order to raise AWARENESS. In fact nudist enjoy the freedom they have because people have pushed the limits before us.
                              Please, lets not be so critical of others who do things differently than we are comfortable to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X