Telemarketing under the Guise of Political Activism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telemarketing under the Guise of Political Activism

Yesterday I had a curious message left on my voicemail. The call came from 877-266-6277. I did the Google search to find out who was behind the call and found the following information.

United American Technologies

What got me thinking is the Do Not Call list I enrolled on and have seen my telemarketing calls drop off. The only calls I get are from charities asking me to support such things as US Navy Servicemen's Support. The call asked for donations to support the troops even though the operator stated many who answer the call do not support the war, but they support the troops.

Has anyone else gotten the call from United American Technologies and the deceptive marketing activities? What are your thoughts on the ploy?

I know people in the Tampa area are getting those calls, or ones similar to them. I saw it discussed on a local messageboard about a week ago.

The ones getting the calls were members of a Unitarian Universalist church but I don't know if they were particularly the target or not.

It's just another sneaky ploy by the RRR to spread hate.

Comment

As I subscribe to no organized religion and support the diversity in this nation, I found the call troubling after I found out who was behind it. I am wondering if there is some place I can report them to and get a stop to this.

Comment

Fruitcakes. Probablybthink they're blessed by the first ammendment.

Comment

There are always those that seek to profit off the misfortune of others and those that invade in your life for their gain.

I have not gotten as many "telemarketing" calls as I used to get scine the DO NOT CALL list was established.

However, the volume has not decreased the callers now claim that I have been selected for a "free weekend" at the resort of my choice and that this "free weekend" will only cost me $129.95 or they claim I have "won" a set of encyclopedias that will only be paid for in 5 easy installments of $125.00 plus $49.95 shipping and handling.

So I am getting less "telemarketing" calls these days, right?

Comment

[QUOTE] I am wondering if there is some place I can report them to and get a stop to this.

I am not an attorney, but my understanding is, the non-profits and political calls are allowed under the law.

I have doubts, that we the people, will ever be able to get congress to add these two groups to the list for do not call purposes.

Accordingly, just do like the old days. If it is a real caller continue what you are doing at your desk and then say no or hang up after they invested all that time. Alternatively, when it is a real caller seeking votes, I remind them this is a do not call number and their persistence may affect the vote they are looking for.

A side topic to this is all the junk mail we get. Since the do not call went in effect, we have noticed a big increase in junk mail solicitations.

Our little protest to this is an attempt to increase the mailer's cost by taking advantage of the postage paid envelopes that also come with this crap.

We shred all data with personal names and numbers on it. The remaining items we tear up and return to them in the postage paid envelopes they provide.

The joke being, we save tax dollars (less trash to be collected locally) at the same time that we provide work for union workers (post officer workers). After all, I do live in a union state-Michigan.

Comment

The call started under the guise of political action. The wikipedia entry says if you do press 1, you are transferred to an operator who tells you of the "pro gay agenda" of the likes of AT&T, MCI, Sprint, etc. They advise you if you wish to help defeat the actions of those companies being an inclusive workplace, then switch your phone service to United American Technologies. They take a portion of your charges and give then to the RRR organizations seeking to defeat the "gay agenda." From the NY Sun article, 2000 people a month switch their phone services based on the call.

According to wikipedia: "Faith, Family and Freedom" is a 527 organization created by Lance Cargill, the Republican floor leader of the Oklahoma House of Representatives. A percentage of the profits from each caller who switched to UAT would be directed back to the 527 to pay for conservative political campaigns.

The whole thing stinks in my book!

Comment

There is one efficent way. Rent a pay per call number (900)and they will not pay for the call. Your friends you can call back when you see their numbers calling.

Comment

Originally posted by NudistGuy47:
                  The call started under the guise of political action. The wikipedia entry says if you do press 1, you are transferred to an operator who tells you of the "pro gay agenda" of the likes of AT&T, MCI, Sprint, etc. They advise you if you wish to help defeat the actions of those companies being an inclusive workplace, then switch your phone service to United American Technologies. They take a portion of your charges and give then to the RRR organizations seeking to defeat the "gay agenda." From the NY Sun article, 2000 people a month switch their phone services based on the call.

The whole thing stinks in my book!
                  I heard a recording of one of these calls on Air America Radio a few months ago. The person calling United pretended to play along, expressing surprise and outrage about the supposed 'gay agenda' of the phone companies, egging on the operator. It would have been funny if the operator hadn't obviously believed the garbage she was saying.

I'll give them credit for creativity. But I agree, there's a very large, rotten rat here, and boy, does it stink!!

karrenlandry

Comment

So AT&T, MCI, Sprint, and Co. have a gay agenda?

More power to 'em!!

karrenlandry

Comment

Working...
                    X