No announcement yet.

The latest on Steve Gough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve is an ex-member of the Royal Marines, one of the tough British elite fighting groups.
    Maybe someone could tell us what their motto is.
    It may be that Steve was living up to it.

Comment

• The Royal Marines' motto is "Per Mare Per Terram" meaning 'by sea, by land'.

Well I guess he lived up to half of it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Rik

Comment

• Yeah all he's gotta do now is go all the way across the atlantic ocean naked in a boat and then he would acheive the "by sea" part. Hopefully its an enclosed boat for when it gets cold and rainy though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• I believe at least one nude relay team has swum the English Channel from England to France. If Steve [or any of his supporters] are reading this, that may be an achievable objective for him.

Comment

• quote:
            Originally posted by Rex:
            [qb] I believe at least one nude relay team has swum the English Channel from England to France. If Steve [or any of his supporters] are reading this, that may be an achievable objective for him. [/qb]
            I read someplace or another that many of the early attempts at long distance swims such as across the English Channel were made nude. Wearing a suit (especially pre lycra) on such long swims not only slowed the swimmer, but caused severe chafing and open sores.

I doubt Steve Gough would be a candidate for such a swim unless he has extensive experience in long distance swims. It isn't a walk in the country (or across).

-Mark

Comment

• Yea, Steve! I really admire his courage in following through on something he believes in.

I'd like to know about the last part of his trip. Was he released early? Did the police finally decide to just ignore him?

Gary

Comment

• Gary

Yes, Steve was released early which is typical in the UK. As I understand it he was released at night away from the glare of publicity which enabled him to quickly pick up the route where he left off - about 70 miles short of his goal.

The police, apparently, commented that they hoped no-one else would complain as clearly they didn't want to get further involved. They have only acted on actual complaints, which they are obliged to do, so it's probable that the police acted as well as they could in the circumstances.

I suspect the local courts are also pleased he's completed his walk - it'll save wasting a lot of public money in unnecessary trials and imprisonment.

Steve continues to face other charges - all in England - which have been postponed because of his imprisonment in Scotland. It remains to be seen how these are handled.

He's due to appear on national television this afternoon in a chat show. I'll let you know what happens.

Rik

Comment

• Steve Gough was interviewed live on UK national TV yesterday afternoon (The Richard and Judy Show, Channel 4) to talk about his walk. He appeared naked apart from his hat and hiking boots although careful camera angles ensured that his genitals were obscured.

Interestingly neither Richard (Madely) nor Judy (Finnegan) made any comment which might be taken as innuendo and treated the whole interview in a serious manner and even their body language suggested they were quite at ease with a naked man sitting opposite them. The interview focussed on his motives rather than the supposed effect he might have had on other people.

They also showed a few films clips: one of him beaing arrested by the police, one of his arrival at John O'Groats and one of him being cheered on by various people en route. Apart from the police arrest there was nothing in the film clips or the interview which could be construed as negative.

At the end of the interview Steve was congratulated on his achievement and Richard Madely said "You're a man to be honoured."

A good result I think.

Rik

Comment

• Thanks, Rik, for the update. I'm delighted at your report of the BBC interview. Just the sort of thing that I had hoped would result from his completing the walk.

Gary

Comment

• An excellent result.
                      I would imagine that Steve would have generally got a similar reception in Yorkshire, too, despite Stu's protestations to the contrary.
                      I remember seeing Billy Connolley nude on Australian TV. I think it was during a "Tour of Scotland" program. Why wasn't Billy arrested?

Comment

• quote:
                        Originally posted by Rex:
                        [qb]Why wasn't Billy arrested? [/qb]
                        Probably because when Billy Connelly does it it's for comedy purposes which, apparently, is OK because people understand the comedic nature of nudity just as they understand its sexual nature.

What some people don't seem to understand is nudity for its own sake which I guess is why they condemn it.

Rik

Comment

• In 1999, a team of 6 nude relay swimmers crossed the English Channel. Their plan was for each person to swim for two periods of one hour.
                          In 2000, I think it was basically the same team which established a record for a relay swim the length of Loch Ness. Evidently Nessie, the famous monster, is nudist friendly, and didn't complain to the cops.
                          I would think that anyone who can walk hundreds of miles nude, sometimes in near freezing conditions, could probably handle being part of a swimming relay team.
                          If anyone complained, all Steve would have to do is assume a Scottish accent, and tell a few jokes.

Comment

• IIRC that team consisted of people of both genders from the mid teens to their 60s or somesuch.

The best "suit" for distance swimming in cold water is vaseline or oil and nothing else.

Comment

Working...
                            X