• Legally topless in Vancouver

It's formally, legally, ok to be topless in Vancouver:

http://vancouvergo.com/blog/2007/03/...-in-vancouver/

Rich

It's formally, legally, ok to be topless in Vancouver:

http://vancouvergo.com/blog/2007/03/...-in-vancouver/

Rich

Comment

What remains to be seen is just how many women will take advantage of this in any city where it becomes legal to not wear a top. It doesn't seem like very many women are willing to go without a top, even when it is legal.

Comment

Way too cool.

Comment

The courts have made topfreedom legal in New York and Ohio, but it is a very rarely exercised freedom.

-Mark

Comment

People tend to be self restricting in their behavior in order to get along with their neighbors, regardless of what may be legal.

Comment

Great news! Even better than the headline because my reading would be that topfreedom is now legal throughout all of British Columbia -- not just Vancouver.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by Naturist Mark:
                The courts have made topfreedom legal in New York and Ohio, but it is a very rarely exercised freedom.

-Mark

I think you would find that where it is legal AND appropriate, you would find folks taking advantage of their topfree rights. In South Beach, at Haulover, at designated legal nudist venues (as opposed to parks and/or resorts) top freedom is unremarkable. But, I think you would find it unusual for an individual, male or female, to wander shirtless down a city street, whether or not it is legal.

Walt Iliff

Comment

quote:
                  I think you would find that where it is legal AND appropriate, you would find folks taking advantage of their topfree rights.

You don't find it in people's own yards during heat waves. You don't find it at public beaches, with very very few exceptions.

The fact that very few POLICE even know it is legal is an indication of how rare that 'right' is execised. Heck, in June 2005 we even had a woman in Bowling Green, Ohio arrested, charged, and convicted (pled out actually) without the arresting officer, the prosecutor, the judge, or even her own lawyer knowing she had not violated any law. When informed of the law her public defender said that she was not going to be the one to make it possible for women to go topfree and "scare children."

-Mark

Comment

quote:

Both men and women in upstate New York for the most part seem to be too busy anymore to run around topfree. For one thing the season where it is actually warm enough to do so is too short. Today it is only 24 out with piles of snow form the Friday storm and we don't have a good feeling yet as to whether we can be outdoors tanning in April or will have to wait until May. This time of year is difficult for many up here for Winter seems to just drag on forever.

Comment

I cannot find any other stories mentioning a BC Supreme Court decision so I question that aspect. Perhaps there is some confusion with this story:
                      http://www.vancourier.com/issues07/0...025107nn2.html

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by hm0504:
                        I cannot find any other stories mentioning a BC Supreme Court decision so I question that aspect. Perhaps there is some confusion with this story:
                        http://www.vancourier.com/issues07/0...025107nn2.html

It was the same Linda Meyer who won the right to topfreedom from BC's Supreme Court in June, 2000

-Mark

Comment

It is my understanding that it is legal for women to be topfree in both Ontario and British Columbia. Gwen Jacobs got us the right in Ontario in around 1996 and Linda Meyer got us the right in BC in 2000. I looked on the TERA website for comfirmation of this and could not find anything much. I am sure I have seen it before in there.

I am attaching the link for your information. Perhaps someone else can find the info. http://www.tera.ca/index.html

I personally would not want to be the only person topfree at this point. Perhaps if I was with others and could do it as a group I would. I was recently in the Caribbean and saw some women topfree on the beach. I would have joined tham if I had sunscreen on! I would most definitely join them if I were staying at one of those resorts. (Sandals and Couples) As it was, I was staying at Beaches where it was not seen.

Perhaps one day it will more common. Frankly, it is less common for men to be topfree in public these days, so do I dare hope?

Comment

quote:
                            It depends on several factors: The weather, area, occassion. It's extremely rare to see a topless woman in public...
                            What is being groped for here is merely the difference between legality and social stigma, which is being discussed over in the What will it take? thread. Of course women won't go topfree anyplace it's socially unacceptable, just because it's legal. But legalizing it is great progress, because it allows social challenge to proceed without legal risk. Social acceptance will still be slow in coming, though.

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by missouriboy:
                              quote:
                              It depends on several factors: The weather, area, occassion. It's extremely rare to see a topless woman in public...
                              What is being groped for here is merely the difference between legality and social stigma, which is being discussed over in the What will it take? thread. Of course women won't go topfree anyplace it's socially unacceptable, just because it's legal. But legalizing it is great progress, because it allows social challenge to proceed without legal risk. Social acceptance will still be slow in coming, though.

Bingo! You've hit the nail on the head. The topfree women on the beaches in Jamaica were perfectly acceptable and there did not seem to be stigma. Being topfree on a hot summer day in my local park would not be acceptable, possibly even for men. I wonder about beaches in places like Lake Huron. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Comment

Working...
                              X