X-Ray Machine Security At Airports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Ray Machine Security At Airports

Do you think that X-ray machines, which can see through clothes, should be standard equipment at all international airports, and other strategic passenger gateways?

Do you think that X-ray machines, which can see through clothes, should be standard equipment at all international airports, and other strategic passenger gateways?

Comment

It's just a matter of how sensitive the settings are. They can outline the differences in matter density.

Comment

All xray machines can see through clothes

Comment

Sure...Why not? We have nothing to hide...And if it stops just one terrorist attack or hijacking it would be worth it....and it would save a lot of time...not having to empty your pockets ,take off your belts, shoes ,hearing aids ,watches rings,etc...My only concern would be for frequent flyers ,children and pregnant women and what is a safe level of Xray exposure....

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by outdoorbare:
            [qb] My only concern would be for frequent flyers ,children and pregnant women and what is a safe level of Xray exposure.... [/qb]
            That would be my concern also. See the following articles for more info on these new machines:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TRAVEL/NEWS/....xray/?related

http://www.rense.com/general41/airpo...elerstoget.htm

http://www.rapiscan.com/personnel_main.html

Comment

I would suggest that the government install a declothesifyer at each airport. It works great. To see it in action visit Shaybare's site.

Comment

"Why not? We have nothing to hide..."

I have things to hide - so I would object very strongly!

Stu

Comment

Another good argument for nudist airlines. No lines or waiting just breeze on aboard.

Comment

Here, here...we're for just flying nude! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

I got the idea of this Poll from the machine currently being used by British police, in their fight against crime.

Here's what they say about the radiation level:

"Police say the radiation used by the machine is 1,500 times less than a normal chest X-ray, or the equivalent of standing in the sun for 40 minutes"

I think that objecting to the use of this potentially very effective tool, in the fight against terrorism, is incredibly selfish, and really quite fatuous.

My attitude would be, you don't want to be scanned by this machine, then don't travel.

Comment

"Tests Still Show U.S. Airport Security Gaps"

Read more at:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=4914523

An obvious improvement would be the installation of X-ray machines.

Comment

While I'm in support of flying nude,I am worried nobody seems worried about all the freedoms the terrorists have been successful in causing us to loose.I feel part of their plans are to strip us of those things we hold dear that they find offensive,like freedoms,and they are succeding.What scares me more is that not only are people not worried about this,they want to give up more freedom and privacy in hopes of preventing what might or might not happen.The terrorists have won by getting us to run in circles being terrified. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Kevin

Comment

Hi Kevin, I don't know from your post if you favour airport X-ray machines, or if you see this as losing an individual freedom in response to terrorist threats.

I just see it an a natural extension of normal passenger security, which we've had for many years.

In 1953, when I was in the Royal Navy, I was on a warship based in Portland Harbour on the English south coast.

We usually got the liberty boat to the nearby town of Weymouth, because that was where the action was.

Weymouth was also the port for ferries coming in from the Channel Islands, off the French coast.

As we came through customs, one person in so many was pat searched, one in so many was strip searched and I believe they were just checking for extra duty-free cigarettes, hardly a danger to national security.

I never had a problem with this and I certainly wouldn't have a problem being screened with an X-ray machine.

Just a little example. I have a hard plastic office letter opener, shaped like a dagger. They were given away in large numbers as a promotional gimmick, at a business seminar I attended about 20 years ago.

It would make an excellent short range weapon, in skilled hands, but would not be picked up by a metal detector.

And neither, presumably, would plastic explosive.

I believe that the authorities, in not making this type of machine standard equipment, are being grossly irresponsible and I hope that this negligence does not come back to haunt them, in the event of a preventable disaster.

Comment

Isn't it nuts that we worry about the effect on our liberties of airport body scannersand don't worry about "laws" being pushed that would enable, eg. in the United States, the President to capture and detain any citizen for any length of time without providing those basic rights, eg.
                              http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...y_combatants_8

I'm all for making it as difficult as possible for terrorists to plan and carry out attacks, but not to the point of giving a government indefinite, authoritarian powers. If having body scanners at subways, buildings, random places, etc. is the part of the price to pay for our security, I can accept that; I remain highly suspicious though of measures that move us toward a police state (one without sufficient judicial checks).

Comment

Working...
                              X