Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can We Discuss Debate Nudist & Naturist Names, their Meaning & Differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can We Discuss Debate Nudist & Naturist Names, their Meaning & Differences?

Please add any terms, names, etc. missed or thought of that are related.

A. Naturist

B. Nudist

C. Nudism

D. Naked

E. Nude

F. Nude Resort

G. Clothes Free Resort

H. Clothing Optional Resort

I. Topfree

J. Topless

K. Life Style & Styles, & Resorts

L. Alternate Life Styles, & Resorts

M. Adult Resort

N. Family Resort

O. Swinger Resort

Please add any terms, names, etc. missed or thought of that are related.

A. Naturist

B. Nudist

C. Nudism

D. Naked

E. Nude

F. Nude Resort

G. Clothes Free Resort

H. Clothing Optional Resort

I. Topfree

J. Topless

K. Life Style & Styles, & Resorts

L. Alternate Life Styles, & Resorts

M. Adult Resort

N. Family Resort

O. Swinger Resort

Comment

Adult resort and Swinger resort do not fit with the rest. These two imply more than nudism, naturism, clothing optional and all. But what is your point? What did I miss ???

Comment

Don't know if this is much "debate", but here are the definitions I use for the terms you listed Gary.

A. Naturist ... one who lives in harmony with nature (or as close as possible), usually clothing free.

B. Nudist ... one who prefers no clothing.

C. Nudism ... loose knitted philosophical outlook on life in which clothing is seen as unnecessary most times.

D. Naked ... the absence of a covering (in terms of humans, i.e., no clothes) or in a raw/natural state of being

E. Nude ... the absence of clothing

F. Nude Resort ... a gathering place for leisure and recreation where clothing is not needed by staff or guests

G. Clothes Free Resort ... a gathering place for leisure and recreation where clothing is not needed by guests but staff usually are clothed

H. Clothing Optional Resort ... a gathering place for leisure and recreation where clothing is not needed by staff or quests and some guests remain clothed as does staff (for the most part)

I. Topfree ... the absence of an upper covering (in the female's case intended to include the absence of a bra as well)

J. Topless ... the absence of an upper covering (although most infer the removal of a top in a sexualized manner when using this term), or a lack of a top to a container,etc.

K. Life Style & Styles, & Resorts ... mode of living, philosophy of life one adheres to (though when used as a proper noun the term is inferred to mean - the swapping of partners for sexual purposes), and places for gatherings of like minded persons

L. Alternate Life Styles, & Resorts ... mode of living, philosophy of life one adheres to, and places for gatherings of like minded individuals

M. Adult Resort ... gathering place for leisure and recreation for persons over their legal majority

N. Family Resort ... gathering place for leisure and recreation for persons of legal majority and minority

O. Swinger Resort ... gathering place for leisure and recreation for persons who espouse the philosophy of swapping partners for sexual purposes

I would add:

P. Clothes Free ... the absence of clothing

Q. Nekkid ... the absence of clothing and being up to 'something' (note: term misapplied to nudism and its adherents by misinformed general public as well as some nudists themselves)

R. Naturism ... loose knitted philosophical outlook of living in sync with nature often sans clothing

S. Hedonist ... one who seeks pleasure as a primary goal in life (term often misapplied to only sexual desires and quests)

T. Hedonism ... loose philosophical outlook on life focused on seeking pleasure(s)

Comment

Rabid Clam

There are Adult and Swinger, and other resort which call themselves [Also Forum members]clothing optional, nude, naturist, nudist, and life style resorts and target & advertise using the nudist terminology.

My point is exactly what this topic/title/thread says; to discuss, debate, and understand the meaning, differences, and common use and misunderstandings, misuse, and abuse of these names as related to naturist and nudist interests, resorts and clubs and discussing social nude venues and/or facilities.

The Palm Springs area posts, and the DSI topic thread are good examples of why these terms, names, and use need to be discussed and understood when seeking a place to get nude, naked, or a facility which adhere to naturist and nudists standards and principals. As the topic/title name suggests, this is a common thread in its own topic/thread where all of these terms, names and use without going off topic in other threads. The terminology, knowledge, & understandings learned in this thread can be applied to any naturist or nudist use, understanding at all physical locations without wandering off topic.

Thanks "Nacktman" that’s more or less the expected discussion or understanding how the response and replies would flow by members in this topic/title/thread.

Comment

Maybe the Forums members can do a Wiki like “Glossary of Nudist terms" that can be implemented and posted to CFF and CFI as an added benefit and reference for all, and a good service especially to new members wanting to know the terms, their differences, and meaning as applied to naturists and nudists or the general population inside or outside of the forums & CFI.

Comment

With a Wiki you'll get into the problem of who's definition will be paramount.

We've discussed the terms "nudist" vs "naturist" numerous times in this forum. They really mean the same thing - one is anglo-saxon and the other romantic, but users tend to apply their own differing connotations to them, and find some authority to buttress their view, while others can completely switch the connotations and do the same.

Speaking of Wiki's, the Wikipedia sidesteps the the whole Nudist/Naturist differentiation question by noting that "While there is a large amount of shared history and common themes, issues and philosophy, differences between these separate movements are sometimes contentious. The usage of these terms varies geographically; people in the US often prefer the term nudism, while people in Europe more often than not refer to themselves as naturists."

-Mark

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by nacktman:
                Don't know if this is much "debate", but here are the definitions I use for the terms you listed Gary.

Can't really find anything wrong with any of your definitions. The are pretty much what I understand each of these terms to mean.

Comment

quote:
                  people in the US often prefer the term nudism, while people in Europe more often than not refer to themselves as naturists."

I would look rather skeptical on so hard saying. MANY nations in Europe prefers too a `nudist`. It means that only SOME nations prefers `naturist` but maybe those are powerful nations. Baltics only now starting to shift from oldest term to those youngest.

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by nacktman:

A. Naturist ... one who lives in harmony with nature (or as close as possible), usually clothing free.

B. Nudist ... one who prefers no clothing.

C. Nudism ... loose knitted philosophical outlook on life in which clothing is seen as unnecessary most times.

D. Naked ... the absence of a covering (in terms of humans, i.e., no clothes) or in a raw/natural state of being

E. Nude ... the absence of clothing

F. Nude Resort ... a gathering place for leisure and recreation where clothing is not needed by staff or guests

G. Clothes Free Resort ... a gathering place for leisure and recreation where clothing is not needed by guests but staff usually are clothed

H. Clothing Optional Resort ... a gathering place for leisure and recreation where clothing is not needed by staff or quests and some guests remain clothed as does staff (for the most part)

I. Topfree ... the absence of an upper covering (in the female's case intended to include the absence of a bra as well)

J. Topless ... the absence of an upper covering (although most infer the removal of a top in a sexualized manner when using this term), or a lack of a top to a container,etc.

K. Life Style & Styles, & Resorts ... mode of living, philosophy of life one adheres to (though when used as a proper noun the term is inferred to mean - the swapping of partners for sexual purposes), and places for gatherings of like minded persons

L. Alternate Life Styles, & Resorts ... mode of living, philosophy of life one adheres to, and places for gatherings of like minded individuals

M. Adult Resort ... gathering place for leisure and recreation for persons over their legal majority

N. Family Resort ... gathering place for leisure and recreation for persons of legal majority and minority

O. Swinger Resort ... gathering place for leisure and recreation for persons who espouse the philosophy of swapping partners for sexual purposes

I would add:

P. Clothes Free ... the absence of clothing

Q. Nekkid ... the absence of clothing and being up to 'something' (note: term misapplied to nudism and its adherents by misinformed general public as well as some nudists themselves)

R. Naturism ... loose knitted philosophical outlook of living in sync with nature often sans clothing

S. Hedonist ... one who seeks pleasure as a primary goal in life (term often misapplied to only sexual desires and quests)

T. Hedonism ... loose philosophical outlook on life focused on seeking pleasure(s)
                    good job Nacktman...very clear and focused...well done

Comment

Topless: Covertible with the top down, or a targa roof removed. I'm not sure if removing T-tops counts as topless, but it's more fun than having them on!

Comment

quote:
                        B. Nudist

C. Nudism

D. Naked
                        How about following C. Nudism with _. Nudity, so that the two can be contrasted and clarified? The first implies the second, but the second does not necessarily imply the first. Nudism is much more limited in scope than nudity, which must of course include every possible reason for being naked.

Comment

I was looking something up in Kentucky Statutes and found that the State of Kentucky has a legal definition of nudist.

232.010 Nudist defined.
                          As used in this chapter, "nudist" means any person who displays any part of his private
                          person naked before persons of the opposite sex, not his husband or wife, at their
                          solicitation or with their consent, for religious or health purposes, excepting for purposes
                          of examination and treatment by physicians.
                          History: Amended 1968 Ky. Acts ch. 203, sec. 1. -- Recodified 1942 Ky. Acts ch. 208,
                          sec. 1, effective October 1, 1942, from Ky. Stat. sec. 3727b-1.

The whole chapter of the statutes covering Nudist Societies is here under Title XIX - Public Safety and Morals: CHAPTER 232 NUDIST SOCIETIES

Bob

Comment

Naturist: One whose nudity is a part of a greater philosophy of life. Spirituality is usually a reason for being naked. Enjoys the outdoors.

Nudist: One whose nudity is a part of their life, but not too big. Takes a take-it-where-one-can-get-it kind of attitude to nudity.

Nudism: The practice of a nudist.

*Naturism: The practice of a naturist

Naked: Unclothed, bare, without covering

Nude: See naked. Also a kind of art form.

Nude Resort: a typically large-scale community where the members are usually seen in a state of nudity.

Clothes Free Resort: See Nude Resort

Clothing Optional Resort: a resort sharing the same attributes of a Nude Resort, but where people usually remain clothed in more situations.

*Nude/Clothes Free/Clothing Optional Parks/Camps: Smaller scale versions of resorts with less amenities.

Topfree: Without a shirt or any upper-body covering.

Topless: Having no shirt or any upper-body covering.

Adult Resort: A vacation place where children are not allowed. More mature attitudes and activity are allowed.

Family Resort: A vacation place that allows children. Usually has amenities and/or pre-planned activities for children.

Swinger Resort: A vacation spot where those involved in swapping of spouses, usually for sexual activities, is allowed.

Streaking: Going naked in public, usually running, for the pleasure of the rush. Especially popular at sporting events.

Exhibitionist: One who enjoys showing off. Usually refers to showing off one's nudity to others.

Flasher: One who esposes his genitals to unsuspecting people for sexual gratification.

Skinny-dipping: Swimming without clothes.

Bob S.

Comment

I know a lot of folks use the term naturist, but I have always used the term nudist. I first began going without clothing whenever I could as a pre-teen, and during my early teens felt that I was probably the only person who did this. When I first found out there were other people including whole families who enjoyed going without clothing, that term nudist was in use. So its what I have always used and thought of myself as.

Comment

Working...
                              X