Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will rising gas prices affect your naturist activities this summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas prices have affected everything that I do. I already was doing very little recreation--now, due to the gas prices, I am doing less of what I was doing little of in the first place!

Comment

Will rising gas prices affect your naturist activities this

We will still make our trips to the resorts. Fortunatly I live 1.5 miles from work and do not have the drive that a lot of people have. i do believe the gas prices will effect a lot of people with the summer plans.

www.inthebuffstuff.com

Comment

Only the weather will.

I'm planning a 1-month stay in Europe beginning next week. My favorite nude beach destination is in the southern Netherlands, but it's still rather cold down there. I hope spring really starts in May.

Comment

Unfortunately the rising gas prices will affect my plans. I live in the San Fernando Valley and there are no places close by for nude recreation. My normal places to go are Deep Creek Hot Springs and Blacks Beach in San Diego; both are 100 miles or more away. Usually I go to one or the other at least once a month; however this year I will be lucky if I can go every other month. As of now, it has been more then six months since the last time I was able to get to Deep Creek and I am not sure when I will be able to get there again.

Comment

I won't let it affect my visits to the beaches. Traffic should be down, which is one benefit.

Comment

life is short

Life is too short to not do the things you enjoy! If going to a local club or beach brings you joy then go for it! Eat at home a few more times then use the savings for a tank of gas!

Comment

Originally posted by justnude View Post
                Life is too short to not do the things you enjoy! If going to a local club or beach brings you joy then go for it! Eat at home a few more times then use the savings for a tank of gas!
                That's pretty much the way I try to approach this. Summer is short and hot around here so we have to take advantage of it while we can. A few liters of gas is a small price to pay for the enjoyment and relaxation I get out of an afternoon at the beach.

Comment

I am not sure at this point in time. I will definitely be looking for employment closer to home or something that pays better. We were thinking about a couple of long trips, but I am not sure at this time, due to other circumstances involved.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ_KC View Post
                    These little cars won't do me much good when it comes time to pull my travel trailer. I just tend to limit how many miles I drive each year, so my annual fuel expense it not all that bad.
                    Right. BUT -- there are many people who travel -- including to nudist parks and events -- who tent camp, or rent the accomodations there.

The days of the travel trailer / RV might be pretty much at an end for a lot of Americans.

So with higher fuel prices, you adapt.

I did. I can afford almost any type of vehicle I want, but choose to drive a 2003 Saturn Ion. Comfort, convenience, durability, and 31 mpg on the highway.

Higher gasoline prices = changing modes of living and recreation.

I not only appreciate what I'm saving today over owning an SUV --- but I've had this car five years, and how many thousands of dollars have I saved in fuel -- even when gas was $1.50 when I bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by usuallylurk View Post
                      Right. BUT -- there are many people who travel -- including to nudist parks and events -- who tent camp, or rent the accomodations there.

The days of the travel trailer / RV might be pretty much at an end for a lot of Americans.

I did. I can afford almost any type of vehicle I want, but choose to drive a 2003 Saturn Ion. Comfort, convenience, durability, and 31 mpg on the highway.

Higher gasoline prices = changing modes of living and recreation.

I not only appreciate what I'm saving today over owning an SUV --- but I've had this car five years, and how many thousands of dollars have I saved in fuel -- even when gas was $1.50 when I bought it.
                      Very true, but how many who can do what you have done are really willing to do so?

Comment

That's exactly the problem.

I can remember when the gasoline hoax/scare of 1979 came along, and on NBC-TV they had Irving R. Levine, the economy reporter.

We were facing $1/gallon gas prices ahead, and Mr. Levine was asked "how do the people in Europe handle it?"

His reply = "They're used to it." Now, that didn't mean "we won't use our cars". That meant "we're going to THINK about this, before we get into our cars." A specific example -- they're not going to hop into the car and burn a gallon of gas to go get a pack of cigarettes. They PLAN.

Back in 1987, I stayed at a naturist b&b in North Yorkshire, England. The price of gasoline then was (about) $2.50 for a US gallon. Here in the U.S.., we were paying around 90 cents. Now -- that was expensive for the times -- 21 years ago. But there are differences --

1) People didn't drive behemoths. No 14-cylinder trucks. No SUVs. Not even mini-vans. Most drove small, compact cars. Not minscule "smart cars", but cars with reasonable economy. Much like your VW Fox, Toyota Corolla, etc.

2) People put THOUGHT into their driving. If we were there, either the owner of the b&b, or one of the guests would say "I'm going into Malton" or "I'm going over to Scarborough. Does anyone need anything at Tesco's or Boots'?" And they'd economize their trips.

3) While Europeans do have the advantages of public transport in many places -- the thinking that everyone has public transportation access everywhere is a MYTH. If you live in North Yorkshire, England, or Pfungstadt, Germany -- yes, you might be able to catch a bus or train, but you STILL need that car to get around. Even in the London 'burbs...

So - it's a matter of adaptation. I used to drive a gas guzzlin' Olds Cutlass Supreme 8 cylinder. Back around 1993, I decided it was time to economize, even though I could (and still can) afford a gas tank. It was just my wife and I, and we favor practicality over comfort, luxury, and style.

Comment

Originally posted by usuallylurk View Post

I will adapt, but that will not include selling my 4x4 pickup or camping trailer. I just won't be getting an even larger truck and trailer than I currently have.

Comment

I'm not sure. I've always had trouble organizing time and money to the point where I could afford to go to the nearest resort (Turtle Lake) on a day when the weather would actually be decent. Since I am done with school for the time-being, if I find a real job, I hope to go more often.

On that note, if there is anyone in the Lansing, MI area who would be interested in carpooling down there to save on gas and admissions, please send me a PM.

Comment

usuallylurk, you hit the core of what is needed. Plan, plan, plan.

Get rid of the gas guzzlers as the main means of transports and return them to use when hauling trailers/campers, demand big automakers to make more gas economizing vehicles without giving up comfort. I cannot believe anyone thinks the SUVs are more comfortable than the sedans; most I have ridden in were not (4Runners, Highlanders, Escalade). Comfort and style comes in smaller vehicles.

Lots of ways as you said how we can consolidate "trips".

Comment

Originally posted by MoonShadow View Post
                                usuallylurk, you hit the core of what is needed. Plan, plan, plan.

Get rid of the gas guzzlers as the main means of transports and return them to use when hauling trailers/campers, demand big automakers to make more gas economizing vehicles without giving up comfort. I cannot believe anyone thinks the SUVs are more comfortable than the sedans; most I have ridden in were not (4Runners, Highlanders, Escalade). Comfort and style comes in smaller vehicles.

Lots of ways as you said how we can consolidate "trips".
                                Exactly!

Furthermore become a rebel with a cause. Buy a 45 mpg Harley and go cruising with an 'attitude' as you drive by all of those overpriced gas stations and wave 'see-ya!'

Comment

Working...
                                X