Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will rising gas prices affect your naturist activities this summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My nude time won't be affected by the price of gas, because most of that is at home. We have a few plans for nude outings that include driving, and we'll keep them in any event as they are mostly incidental to other things that we'll be doing.

However, both of our cars are getting old and both have drinking problems. As we plan for their replacements we're going to be giving a lot of thought to what we really need as opposed to what we'd enjoy having.

Comment

Originally posted by naturalmanwa View Post
      I am not sure at this point in time. I will definitely be looking for employment closer to home or something that pays better. We were thinking about a couple of long trips, but I am not sure at this time, due to other circumstances involved.
      Something that pays batter would certainly 'fix' the situation!

I am not about to gloat, just want to share information. I have not lived anywhere near check-to-check for a long time. My household lives on probably half of what I earn. The other half goes into savings, investments, and charity. When fuel prices go up, I just invest a little less. When fuel prices go sky high, I invest even less, but still add to savings and still give to charity. If fuel hits $10 a gallon, I will still be giving to charity, but savings may slow down, and investing will stop. No matter what, until fuel goes past $40 per gallon, I am still going to LIVE MY LIFE!

If fuel hits $50 a gallon, THEN, I might think about getting a wimpy hippy car and selling the Jeeps. But until then, why let fuel prices hurt your standard of living? If you don't have to. I just can't look into my dog's sad puppy eyes and tell him we're not going to the mountains or the lake this weekend because gas costs too much. I can't tell my wife that the weekend will be spent watching TV because it costs too much to go somewhere cool. I am not a monster!

Comment

Originally posted by JeepNude View Post
        Something that pays batter would certainly 'fix' the situation!

I am not about to gloat, just want to share information. I have not lived anywhere near check-to-check for a long time. My household lives on probably half of what I earn. The other half goes into savings, investments, and charity. When fuel prices go up, I just invest a little less. When fuel prices go sky high, I invest even less, but still add to savings and still give to charity. If fuel hits $10 a gallon, I will still be giving to charity, but savings may slow down, and investing will stop. No matter what, until fuel goes past $40 per gallon, I am still going to LIVE MY LIFE!

If fuel hits $50 a gallon, THEN, I might think about getting a wimpy hippy car and selling the Jeeps. But until then, why let fuel prices hurt your standard of living? If you don't have to. I just can't look into my dog's sad puppy eyes and tell him we're not going to the mountains or the lake this weekend because gas costs too much. I can't tell my wife that the weekend will be spent watching TV because it costs too much to go somewhere cool. I am not a monster!
        It's not about being a monster. There is an ever growing number of people who can not afford to live life as usual. They need to make choices now between gasoline, food, heat, and medical care / pharmaceuticals. With some people, I bring up the topic about saving for the future. I am getting 'the laugh' more and more now. 'The laugh' is the reaction that people have to a crazy situation where they have absolutely no money left to save for anything. They are not being extravagent at all. They are spending more then they have just to try to keep afloat and are one catastrophy away from bankruptcy.

Where I live, there are wood sources and more and more people are heating with firewood. In some of the towns in the valleys, when there is a temperature inversion, all of the smoke settles and the air becomes quite foul. It is those damn outdoor woodburning furnaces that are the primary cause for belching smoke and some people have resorted to burning anything and everything in those furnaces ie plywood, old tires, etc. We are in a very serious state right now with the ever escalating cost of oil products. People are resorting to some drastic steps to keep from freezing in the Winter and our environment is suffering accordingly. It is all so very sad and so unecessary.

With problems such as this, I conserve as much as I can so that my small contribution may (in some very small fashion) keep the price of oil products down just a wee bit. Maybe I am a fool for doing so, as so many who have posted to this topic seem to be using gasoline as usual, but I always think of the less fortunate who don't have that ability anymore.
        Last edited by Sanslines; 04-19-2008, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Family driving

Greetings Everyone,

No offence to everyone but from reading most of the posts here most of you are either single or just a maried couple without children. So I am going to speak on behalf of families. My wife and I have four kids and althought buying or owning a sedan may be more economical in the way of fuel cost they are not feasible when it comes to accomdating a family of six. It would not be feasible for us to always go around in two sedans whenever we go out as family as that would not be very cost efficient either. We live pretty much month to month, having a savings is not always possible but we do try. On fortunate advantage for us atleast is that my employment is about a mile away. And now with nice weather setting in I walk to and from work everyday weather permitting and try to do this year round. Not all families as so lucky. There are many indivuals and perhaps many of you that have posted here are not so fortunate to be so close to where you work. The longer your commute the more gas you need to get there.

In the mean time the type of car you drive is also in some cases in relation to the area in that you live in combination in regards to where and type of your employment is and perhaps the size of your home. Notice also as the cars got bigger so did the growing number of people moving out of cities and into the subburbs. Although I have not done any scientific research on this but it seems funny that over the years as our cars got bigger the number of people moving from cities to outlying subburbs have grown. In addition towns that once had a comfortable distance from cities in some areas our grown to the max of their borders and some casese are right on the borders of the cities. As the population grew outside the cities the longer the commute got to getting to the job that is if the the person stayed in the city job. In addition to that as the small towns grew very rapidly with housing developments springing up everywhere the need for stores to accomadate the growth also increased. And I do not think many of these towns planned in for or had the forthought to plan homes in relation to the stores that would be more economical for them to get to. Thus with all that the increase for driving. Also as for some people who move out to bigger homes outside the city so did the desire to have a car to match. So the car manufactures reacted by providing larger cars, trucks, vans, and so forth. Which in all brings us to where we are now. In addition to all above I do not recall seeing a transit bus driving through housing developement and if such a route was planned it would surley meet with a lot of resistance thus with lack of mass transport the shere need to have a car.

There is no easy way to cure the problem the US is in. The government simply can not go around and start telling people or even forcing them they have to move back to cities to save fuel and so that they can take advantage of public transit. It just will not happen. What perhaps need to be done is to convert cars to a non oil base fuel and make them electric. But in doing so you would need to either provide rechargin stations at stores, lodging places, and other locations for those that use there car for around town. But for those that use there cars for longer trips electric cars that either get long distance use out of a charge or the ability to self generate for long distance driving. But to make this all possible is would cost billons of dollars and years to set up. It would be possible as anything is possible IF EVERYONE IS WILLING TO WORK TOGETHER TO DO IT. But as long as the government let the oil companies sun this country it will not happen.

Which brings me to the next point which I find interesting and rather funny at the same time. Since our government (the US) is able to force say the telecommunications industry to stop broadcasting in the analog signal and convert to digital by a date in 09. (Now here is the trick question.) Why will they not do the same to car manufacture? And tell them that as of this certain date all new vehicals must be produced either an all electric or some other fuel alternative source. And like what they are doing for people who have current tv provide a coupon, rebate, or some other finical incentive to either buy one of these new cars or have their current car converted. The plan will cost and we will end up paying somewhere but if nothing sontinues to be done and the longer we drag this all out the more problems will be caused down the road and the cost to chage will rise drasticly.

I have more but feed what what is above for now.
          Just a note we realy should be asking ourselves who is really to blame for the high gas prices, us the consomer, our local governments, or the federal government. My vote is all the above.
          LeoNJ
          Last edited by LeoNJ; 04-19-2008, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Good point -- BUT -- the United States government cannot just give out coupons for cars as they can converter boxes for TV. And a DTV costs as little as $400. Not so a hybrid or electric car.

Way back in the Carter Presidency, we were warned about energy dependencies. Carter had a great message -- use less, insulate, etc. and for automobiles, established "fleet mileage" requirements that would become more stringent over the years. The problem was that his implementation method -- artificially create shortages, force the pump price up, people will all drive little cars, and Detroit will reap the benefits, too.

It caused unprecendented inflation, as well as transportation disruption. And some cars were rushed to the American market - let's all say "Renault Alliance".... it backfired. It was made worse when Reagan decided to let the marketplace decide.... and OPEC was broken, and barrel prices dropped below $10.

Today's high prices are being caused by a combination of demand, speculation on the open market, fear, speculation on the open market, and speculation on the open market. Since economists are all saying that the fundamentals do not support $110 / barrel oil for any indefinite period --- THIS WILL BREAK. But people will not break their attitudes or habits. And if oil goes back to the $50/barrel level as some predict it will -- it will merely reinforce the guzzler mentality, and we will be caught in another cycle of dependency and indifference over it.

Comment

Will rising gas prices affect your naturist activities this summer?

These prices will definately slow my nude travels down this year. The nearest resort that allows single males is about 130 miles one way for me. Even in my gas sipping 11 your old car, that is pretty pricey when you facor in the time spent on the road vs. the time spent relaxing. Even if the wife would participate, the nearest resort is still about 80 or 90 miles away, making a day trip difficult at best with limited time. Look like I'll spend most of the summer tanning nude out on the deck.

Comment

Originally posted by usuallylurk View Post
                --- THIS WILL BREAK. But people will not break their attitudes or habits. And if oil goes back to the $50/barrel level as some predict it will -- it will merely reinforce the guzzler mentality, and we will be caught in another cycle of dependency and indifference over it.
                Perhaps the ONLY thing that will wake people up and get them to change their habits is another serious depression. Those who lived through the depression of the 1930's learned what real hardship was all about and were thus able to put everything into perspective and enjoy the little things in life. They did not feel entitled to luxury as they were too busy just trying to survive.
                Last edited by Sanslines; 04-20-2008, 07:54 AM.

Comment

I agree.... when I was in college, I didn't have a lot of money .. so even my 21 mpg Comet -- when gas was 30 cents -- was driven conservatively.

Over the years, my views changed, and I had a "hippie van" and always had a passenger car -- a big V6 or V8. My last "big car" was a 1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme V8 - luxury, comfort, and - 26 MPG on the highway, although in-town gas mileage sucked.

When the little one left for college -- it was time for a change. She drove that car for several months, sold it and bought a Golf. I bought a Grand Am 4-cylinder, which got around 24 all around. The next two cars were Saturn SL2 (30 all around) and Saturn ION (29 all around).

I don't need "big". And I can afford a bigger car, an SUV, etc. etc. but there isn't a need for it. I often find myself in Boston, and the car is perfect for parking on the street. At this stage of my life, investment is important and roughly 2/3 of my income is invested -- 401k, Roth, personal investment fund, and dividend-paying stocks.

What I don't spend now is going to directly have an effect as to how I live in retirement ... so ... with the smaller car, I can go to more events and do more and it doesn't break me.

Comment

Hopefully, we will never see another depression. In today's times, such would see violence like none before; definitely, unlike the depression of the 30s.

The answer IS change behavior. Change driving habits, buy smaller more gas efficient cars, demand them from the automakers, encourage mass transit options in area cities and towns, reduce and demand companies to use less packaging. I mean how many of us would like to see the "blister package" OFF the shelfs. It takes a machete to open those things!

Changing our behavior does not change our standard of living either. It just means we use less.

Comment

my buddy and i plan on share a nude ride!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonShadow View Post
                        Hopefully, we will never see another depression. In today's times, such would see violence like none before; definitely, unlike the depression of the 30s.

The answer IS change behavior. Change driving habits, buy smaller more gas efficient cars, demand them from the automakers, encourage mass transit options in area cities and towns, reduce and demand companies to use less packaging. I mean how many of us would like to see the "blister package" OFF the shelfs. It takes a machete to open those things!

Changing our behavior does not change our standard of living either. It just means we use less.
                        Most people associate using less with a lower standard of living. The phrase "he or she who dies with the most toys wins" is still highly applicable. The point about a depression is that it seems that nothing short of a depression will wake up enough people to change for the good of the country. We still very much live in the 'ME' generation phase as in "what's in it for me". Most people will only be concerned about themselves and ignore the larger picture.

Comment

For us it means that our very private backyard will be used alot more instead of traveling.

Maybe more nudists will creat a private space at home to enjoy their day. Maybe that time will be with fellow nudist living close them. Your own private resort with no travel costs.

Garden

Comment

If fuel prices get worse it certainly will. I don't have a very fuel efficient vehicle and would have to drive over an hour to the beach. What really sucks is there is really no valid reason this should be happening. Heard part of it is to force more use of ethonol, which is another horror story in itself.

Comment

You gotta get a Jetta!

Diesel is $1.15/litre,$4.37/US gallon/$5.22/Imperial Gallon. Starting to get pricey!

But this wont stop me,my Jetta gets 60MPG on the Highway!

Comment

Oil Prices were speculated higher today and reached close to $120 per barrel before dropping a bit. The reason given for the higher price today was that there was 'fog in the shipping lanes'. lol.......lol what kinds of crazy excuses will they dream up next???

Comment

Working...
                                X