A question for fellow outdoor buffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for fellow outdoor buffs

Does anyone know the name of the Avon product that acts as a insect repellant. I was just sunnig/reading nude in the my backyard. The gnats and flies were annoying. Does this lotion also have SPF? Thanks for the input

Does anyone know the name of the Avon product that acts as a insect repellant. I was just sunnig/reading nude in the my backyard. The gnats and flies were annoying. Does this lotion also have SPF? Thanks for the input

Comment

I believe it was called "Skin so Soft".

Comment

Yes thats the name and its available with or without SPF sun Block, and it's Deet free.

Avon Information on Skin so Soft Product

Comment

Today on THE WEAKEST LINK one question was on the word GYMNASTICS which was an ancient Greek word for Naked Exercise. Not sure that was fully correct but is what they said on the show. Was an old show, a re run.

Comment

I see where they have added SPF rating to Skin So Soft. Been a long time since I used it, didn't care for the smell years ago.

Rabid a more accurate translation would be "body exercise" or just "exercise" but since the ancient Greeks did their exercising nude for the most part, I'd say give the show the benefit of the doubt and say they were correct.

Comment

Consumer Reports tried Skin-so-Soft among genuine products in a report on insect repellents and said "Does not work".

Comment

It is one that doe's not work for me.

Comment

Avon...
                  My wife was some years long a spreader of those sh**.

This year a certain Green organisation made a worldwide campaign to invite a perfume companies undersign the "good will" paper where is said that (somewhen) in a future company shall (try to) diminish and substitute the (clearly and heavily) harming consistuents in their perfumery to ingredients what are less harmful to humankind. Mostly it referred to carcinogenic and genotoxic substances. There was about 4 or 5 companies categorically declining to undersign. One of first was an Avon.

My advice - You see their attitude, and You have an own strong lever to give them a good school - dollar. Do it! Them are nothing else as open shameless slaughters by such deed. And bancrupsy is an only way to desinfect such Hell offsprings as them.

Comment

I've heard the claim and used the stuff and could'nt tell that it worked , but while itching and scratching, My skin was So soft.
                    Nudeinbama

Comment

Skin so soft is effective for minutes - perhaps a half hour if you really ladel it on. DEET products can work for hours.

Unfortunately I can't stand DEET.

Fortunately there is now a commercially available alternative in the US (been available overseas for a decade) - Picaridin (AKA Icaridin) which is almost odorless.

I've used Cutter Advanced which is a Picaridin formula and found it to be just as effective as Deet, but not as long lasting.

Another effective alternative is to use a barrier lotion of some sort. There are various minor brands, most of which combine a barrier oil with botanical essential oils that have some repellent properties like citronella, lemongrass, or geranium. The effective ingredient in barrier preparations like Bite Blocker is soybean oil - yep, good old Crisco. I can recommend Bite Blocker as the most effective product out there to protect you from biting flies - it doesn't repel them, but they won't bite through it. I've also found a home made preparation made from 10 parts tanning oil and 1 part generic Crisco (make sure it is soybean oil) works very well. But if you object to an oily barrier use the commercial Bite Blocker preparations.

-Mark

-Mark

Comment

Excuse my Ignorance, but what exactly is the problem with DEET. I guess I havn't been keeping up with the reports.
                        Is there some harm that can come from using it that I should know about, or is it just the smell that people don't like.

Curious,

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Nude in the North:
                          Excuse my Ignorance, but what exactly is the problem with DEET. I guess I havn't been keeping up with the reports.
                          Is there some harm that can come from using it that I should know about, or is it just the smell that people don't like.

Curious,

Steve
                          There are a number of web sites that discuss the potential health problems (mostly for children) of DEET. Try a Google search for DEET problems.

Snopes.com has a page that discusses "Home remedies to repel mosquitoes ..."

Take Care & Have Fun Bare,
                          David
                          Last edited by D-TX; 09-22-2007, 10:22 PM. Reason: Fixing "quotes", they didn't transition well to the new forum.

Comment

In the dark ages before manufactures heavily promoted insect repellant everyone in the family would be bitten from time to time. Except my father. During the summer months he's sit out in the back, drink a beer and never got bitten. It probably doesn't work if put on the skin, needs to be taken internally. I've also read that some of the B vitamins help keep mosquitos and other pesky bugs away.

Unfortunately, I've never tried either of these approaches. I grew up and developed an interest in wine over beer. And I've never gotten into the habit of taking a vitamin regularly.

If I go hiking naked I don't use anything since I have a better sense of touch. However, if I must wear clothes then I'll use DEET on exposed skin and spray something like OFF on the clothes.

Dave

Comment

quote:
                              In the dark ages before manufactures heavily promoted insect repellant everyone in the family would be bitten from time to time. Except my father. During the summer months he's sit out in the back, drink a beer and never got bitten.

Most likely he WAS getting bitten. The itch and swelling is an allergic response - not everyone responds.

Similarly not everyone has an allergic response to poison ivy. Recently I discovered that included me. It doesn't mean I'm "Immune", just the opposite really - my body doesn't produce an overactive immune response to urushiol. But the nature of such things is that after any particular exposure your immune system may begin to recognize the foreign proteins and produce a strong reaction upon the next exposure. Which means I don't dare go traipsing through the ivy.

-Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X