Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clothing alternatives around the neighborhood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothing alternatives around the neighborhood?

What types of clothing does anyone think it may be possible to wear that would challenge the accepted social conventions regarding clothing?

I have just purchased a great scarf appearing to be the perfect color and large enough to fold in half and wear as a wrap around my waist. The tag labels it as "BEIGE" and the material is 60% Rayon, 30% Acrylic and 20% Tencel. It is "tone on tone" with a not unattractive, not feminine pattern, but it does have slight fringes on the ends. Google: "PA-200JAQ" for specific details.

The color is a perfect match for my pre-season, less-than-tan skin tone. I am wearing it now and have continued doing weekend chores around the house and even taken trash out to the front of the garage wearing it.

The "wrap" was purchased at Burlington Coat Factory and priced at $9.99. This is a very affordable price for a single garment and I regard it as both functional and attractive.

The question then becomes, could I wear it while walking the dog around the neighborhood? It certainly could be worn with or without a t-shirt, but the close-to-skin tone coloring would be likely to raise eyebrows.

How important is that? How critical to "neighborhood harmony" is what we are seen wearing? How can the "norms" of the previously mentioned social conventions regarding clothing be challenged successfully? And finally, isn't it worth the effort to inspire others to (possibly) think differently about clothes in general?

If we can wear swim trunks or a bikini while washing the car in the front yard, while not while walking the dog?

For the men in the ClothesFreeForums community, would you wear something that challenges the social conventions to your local grocery store? Maybe a "wrap" as described here or a Utili-kilt that has been advertised elsewhere online?

It is easy to think that some neighbors might interpret alternative clothing styles as "unusual" and perhaps not appreciate seeing someone wear clothing of minimal coverage as they drive by, but I think this is a form of social evolution and it only happens when people push the envelope a little bit.

The "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" policy of stores is widely known and accepted, but I often see people wearing what could be described as "revealing" clothing at the local mall and while the men's wrap described here is "different" it is not revealing in the least.

How do you push the envelope around your home or outside the home?

Thanks in advance for every reply!

~

Re: Clothing alternatives around the neighborhood?

Where you live and what your neighborhood is like plays a big part in what you can get away with. Where I live now - no form of partial "exposure" is acceptable anywhere. Pushing the envelope would most likely result in very adverse reactions; if not direct confrontation.

But it wasn't always so. I used to live near the beach in VA. It was not uncommon to see people strolling down the street in their bathing suits. I used to work video retail; and again people would pick up a video after a day at the beach - wearing anything from a bikini top with a sarong around their hips, or even just a sarong. It was such a common event that it didn't elicit any particular response.

In conclusion, I think you have to be cognizant of your environment before attempting to push the envelope.

Comment

I'll often check my mail (mailbox is attached to the house next to the door) wearing only a terry-cloth wrap but that's pretty much the limit. I'm not one to draw undo attention to myself either through dress or actions.

Comment

Well in the pre-dawn dark I will water the front yard nude and get the paper nude. However if it is light enough to be seen easily from a distance I won't. I will walk down the driveway in my bathrobe or shorts though LOL.

About the closest I have come to what Centari describes is a pair of mesh shorts with the lining cut out. I didn't realize it at the time I cut the lining out but these shorts are semi transparent now. I didn't intend for that to happen and I won't where them to the store however around the house for when I have to go out in front in daylight they are good and they are fine or hiking around out in the woods. I was doing just that when I ran into one of my college proffessors. I could tell from the way he looked at me that he could tell they were sort of transparent. Anyway it was uncomfortable for me at the time however no big deal now.

I have seen guys wearing those utili-kilts(SP?) I don't think they are for me. Nothing against those who wear them I think you have to have some guts to sport one of those. I hear what you are saying about changing perceptions and pushing boundries however not sure I would go that route.

Comment

I would love to own a Utilikilt. However, the $150+ price puts me off. Yes, I know they're a quality product made in the US, but that is still quite a bit.

Kilts are very rare sights in Texas outside of Austin. I would wear a kilt anyway. I don't care and look gruff enough that no one would dare say anything about it.

Comment

After returning from St. Martin, where I bought a couple of pareos. I wore the pareos around the condos to take out trash and check the mail. I had a conversation with two of my female neighbors while wearing nothing but the pareo or sarong wrapped around my hips. They didn't seem to mind and wanted to know all about my vacation. I have also washed the car in the pareo without any negative comments, so you may just have to try your wrap and talk to a few neighbors while wearing it to gauge what they would think. Usually people are more accepting of this kind of thing earlier in the morning or very late in the evening as people do wear just robes or shorts more often during these times, when they first get up or just before getting ready to settle down for the evening.

Comment

I've answered my door several times to delivery men or saleswomen while wearing only my TNS Terry Wrap around my hips.

I have an ancient tan through bathing suit that is both skin tight and minimal that I wear with nothing else but hat and boots when I work in my backyard in the summer. Although I have 6 foot stockade fencing around my yard, in most places I can be seen by my neighbors. My neighbor on my right side has seen me and has conversed with me many times without regard to my lack of clothing. I noticed my neighbor on the left side once, and her mother in law on a different occasion, looking in my direction, but without comment or greeting.

Outside the house walking around the neighborhood or going to the gym I wear traditional clothes, but often wear a bare necessities, Cypress Cove or TNS tee shirt.

Comicsfan

Comment

Originally posted by Centauri4 View Post
                The "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" policy of stores is widely known and accepted,
                Accepted? We haven't such signs here. Bare feet are tolerated. Bare chests less.

Comment

I do yard work in a short legged jammer swim suit that my wife made for me. She didnt' put a liner in it. It's black and skin tight spandex. I've, also. mowed lawn in a speedo, of even bikini brief underwear (they look like a speedo). If I'm on the tractor, mowing, I am also barefoot. According to what the police have told me, that attire is pefectly acceptable in Central Pennsylvania. I've actually ask them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kari P View Post
                    Accepted? We haven't such signs here. Bare feet are tolerated. Bare chests less.
                    Bare feet are not accepted here in the US because people are known for being so litigious. Businesses won't allow bare feet inside because it's considered a safety violation if you step on something.

Comment

Sportkilt is much less expensive than utilikilt. So far I have just worn it for Hash House Harriers events though, and not for neighborhood strolls

Comment

When it's light, I get the paper, take out the mail and garbage in my shorty shorts or Terry Wrap. Used to, the paper was delivered at 5:30, and I'd do all this naked. Still sometimes put out the garbage naked when it's dark.

I've occasionally mowed along the driveway in my Goa Yuco without flaps, more like a tie-at-sides monokini, but think it's more acceptable to wear my shorty shorts. Once I'm mowing the front yard, almost totally hidden from the cul-de-sac by shrubbery, I switch to a towel tied at opposite ends to make 2 triangles, because some parts of the front yard are visible to next door neighbors about 300-400 feet away with 3 younger kids.

Then I go to nude for the side and back yards but using the 2 triangle towel in the little bit of the back yard visible from the neighbor's house, about 600 feet away at that point.

On our daily walks on trails I maintain across mine and about 4 neighbors' properties, I wear my go yuco monokini. Met one of the neighbors today on that trail. She shook my hand in appreciation of having the trails. Have occasionally met neighbors with their kids down there, with me in the monokini. It's a very natural area. Animals are naked in natural areas aren't they? Of course, I ALWAYS work naked on my own property down there.

Comment

I've worn pareos for years around our marina and on the boat when we're in the marina. I've never had anyone say a word about it. My wife and several of our female friends wear them too but I'm the only male in our circle of friends who wears them around the marina even though all our friends are nudists. I've gone to parties on other boats wearing a pareo and a tropical shirt and gotten compliments on the pareo from the ladies...never the guys. If guys hear the compliment, I tell them: "Women love a guy in a pareo." That usually gets a laugh...at least from the ladies.

In the movie "Captain Ron" the title character is played by Kurt Russell who wears a pareo in several of the scenes. He also has long blonde hair and a patch over one eye. My wife and I went to a Halloween beach party once and I went as Capt. Ron complete with long blonde hair wig, pareo and eye patch. A German woman...who might not have seen the movie and recognized my costume...came up to me and told me "You really have a lot of balls to wear that." Who knows, maybe she thought I was just a guy in a wig and a skirt. Everybody else...all sailors who had seen the movie...loved the costume. Captain Ron is a hilarious movie, BTW, even if you're not into sailing.

The best bar in Singapore, IMHO, is the Long Bar at Raffles. All the male waiters and managers wear sarongs and look great in them.

There is a volunteer group at Burningman in the Black Rock Desert called the Black Rock Rangers. They do many of the same things, in the way of helping the 45,000 people attending the event, that U.S. Forest Service and Park Service Rangers do in our national parks. Utilikilts are worn by a large percentage of both male and female Black Rock Rangers. I think they look ruggedly appropriate in the high desert wilderness where the temperature routinely hits 110F or more.

Utilikilts has a contest they call "MockUMercials" in which people make and contribute fake commercials for Utilikilts. The list of the best efforts is here: http://www.utilikilts.com/?page_id=10 One of the funniest is "Call Me". Click on it in the upper right center part of the screen.

Last year, a U.S. Postal Service worker tried to get the Postal Service to allow kilts as an option for Postal Workers. http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...mfort_in_kilt/
                          Last edited by Navigator; 05-12-2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

My utilikilt is on order. To stay legal, I wear two doo rags tied together like a triangular loin cloth. It doesn't screw up the tan either. I haven't sported the pareo in public yet.
                            Last edited by sargento01; 09-24-2009, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sargento01 View Post
                              My utilikilt is on order. To stay legal, I wear two doo rags tied together like a triangular loin cloth. It doesn't screw up the tan either. I haven't sported the pareo in public yet.

I wear all of the above. We need to get you guys gender equality!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X