"Nudist Colony" anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Nudist Colony" anyone?

Heard a female friend use this term a little while ago (sorry, she's married, I won't be extending any invitations) and perhaps I am very "Old School" (however one defines that)
    but I like the sound of it and I think it has much to commend it-like Artist's Colony. It implies a place of like minded people with shared values and outlooks and interests, a place a little removed from the rest of the world, and while a little old fashioned compared to say "Clothes Free Resort" I think it captures the spirit and essence of what naturism is all about.

Re: "Nudist Colony" anyone?

I never really understood why some folks are offended by the term "Nudist Colony". :confused:

Comment

The connotation of "colony" is of outsiders invading your territory and taking over. That is why "colonialism" is a bitter epithet in most of the world.

A "nudist colony" is where strange outsiders - "nudists" - establish a toehold before infiltrating your community of decent God fearing proper people and begin to turn them into deviants - starting with your kids!

A "camp" is where people like you or your neighbors go for rest, relaxation and recreation.

Comment

Was the term "nudist colony" not mentioned in the early Peter Sellers Pink Panther movie - "A shot in the dark" and he went there to follow a clue or something. A guy walked across with a guitar strategically placed

I remember being fascinated as a small boy

Comment

Ants and termites live in "colonys"...and maybe baregreg's avatar.
          Last edited by Navigator; 07-10-2009, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by riptidenj View Post
            Heard a female friend use this term a little while ago (sorry, she's married, I won't be extending any invitations) and perhaps I am very "Old School" (however one defines that)
            but I like the sound of it and I think it has much to commend it-like Artist's Colony. It implies a place of like minded people with shared values and outlooks and interests, a place a little removed from the rest of the world, and while a little old fashioned compared to say "Clothes Free Resort" I think it captures the spirit and essence of what naturism is all about.
            Originally, in the 1930s, the term "nudist colony" WAS used. There was an article, I think in N some years back, but not sure... in southwest Florida there was at least one isolated beach house - with many rooms -- that actually was more of a 'colony' than a park or resort.

But those gave way to what we have today -- parks, clubs, resorts, camps. And they prefer the term "resort" or "park" or "club".

Comment

Working...
            X