Counterproductive to family image?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counterproductive to family image?

Is it just me, or does this strike anyone else as a tad unhelpful to the family-friendly image we want to build? I'm concerned that it fuels the "nudists are sex-fiends" notion.

I was looking on the website of a club near me, and noticed that they are hosting an event that includes, among other things, entertainment by band called, "Big Dick and the Penetrators."

Maybe you might say I'm being hyper-vigilant or over-sensitive, but it seems to me that nudists who are wanting to build a more family-friendly image would want to distance themselves from something with such graphic sexual innuendo. Frankly, I find it especially demeaning to women.

Re: Counterproductive to family image?

What a disgusting name for a band. Is this an adult band? Criminy, if so, how insulting they are to themselves and yes, as a woman, I find their name offensive.

BTW, is this club a sex club? I cannot imagine a nudist club having a band with such a name playing.

Comment

I would find that name to be offensive in any forum nudist or non nudist. I cannot see them getting away with using it for very long without issues.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonShadow View Post
        BTW, is this club a sex club? I cannot imagine a nudist club having a band with such a name playing.
        It's an AANR and TNS member resort that describes itself as "a family nudist resort." The event, however, is "Adults Only."

Comment

I don't like the name of the band either, for a nudist or non-nudist venue. But....it is possible that the particular club isn't trying to build a "family friendly image." Not everything has to be appropriate for children--or for squeamish adults for that matter. But I do think people should know what they're potentially getting into and the name of this band would be a pretty good clue to parents.

Also, societal tolearance is changing. There is a very popular band out their called "The Butthole Surfers." I heard a clip of one of their songs and the full name of the group announced without hesitation the other day in a story on NPR!

Comment

I find it just silly and immature. For them, it will be a short lived name and they will certainly not be very well played with that name.

Although it reminds me of a truckstop in Tenn or Kentucky that was halfway between 2 major cities. It had a resturant and a small hotel. The name of the place was Big Dick's Halfway Inn. My Ex B-i-L got a me a T-Shirt for it a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeR49 View Post
              Is it just me, or does this strike anyone else as a tad unhelpful to the family-friendly image we want to build? I'm concerned that it fuels the "nudists are sex-fiends" notion.
              Sunshower Country Club must be desperate for business! How does this fit in with their "family nudist resort" claim? How does it comply with their "Suggestive familiarity is prohibited" policy? How does this tie in with AANR's claims that "Our clubs foster a wholesome, nurturing environment for members and their families." and "The atmosphere of an AANR club is wholesome and friendly. People who enjoy nude recreation distinguish between nudity and sex and keep the two in their proper perspectives."?

Why not simply complain to the AANR? Unfortunately, you know they'll do nothing because their organisation is dying on its feet.

Comment

Back in '97 there was a one hit wonder (Zoot-suit Riot) called Cherry poppin' daddies that received top 40 radio play and M.T.V.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeR49 View Post

I was looking on the website of a club near me, and noticed that they are hosting an event that includes, among other things, entertainment by band called, "Big Dick and the Penetrators."

Maybe you might say I'm being hyper-vigilant or over-sensitive, but it seems to me that nudists who are wanting to build a more family-friendly image would want to distance themselves from something with such graphic sexual innuendo. Frankly, I find it especially demeaning to women.
                  I say you're being hyper-vigilant and over-sensitive.

As you know, the band is playing at Sunshower Country Club's 7th Annual Bare Butts Bike Rally & Car Show. From looking at the band's website along with other sites it seems like that's the perfect band to play at a bike rally. They seem to be popular and have a big following. Whether a bike rally is a good event to have at a family nudist club is certainly debatable, but you didn't bring that up as an issue.

Why do you find the band's name "especially demeaning to women"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by MoonShadow View Post
                  What a disgusting name for a band. Is this an adult band? Criminy, if so, how insulting they are to themselves and yes, as a woman, I find their name offensive.
                  I've always enjoyed reading your posts. I hope you don't take this the wrong way and I'm in no way saying you don't have a right to be offended, ....... but ............ can you put into words why, as a woman, you find the name offensive?

Originally posted by eagle59 View Post
                  I would find that name to be offensive in any forum nudist or non nudist. I cannot see them getting away with using it for very long without issues.
                  It doesn't seem to be an issue in their hometown.

Their hometown newspaper has a Cheers & Jeers feature (my newspaper has one too). This is from the web version, but I'm sure it was in the print version too.

CHEERS to Jim Bailey Harley Davidson/Buell, Three Rivers Harley Owners Group, Olde Towne Tavern, WANE TV, Rock 104, Big Dick and the Penetrators, Indiana State Police, Allen County Police Department and Fort Wayne Police Department for the success of the second Teddy Bear Run to benefit the Greater Fort Wayne 32nd Degree Masonic Learning Center for Children With Dyslexia Inc. CHEERS to all the participants who so willingly gave of their time and money in order that our children may learn to read.
                  Cheers & Jeers

Originally posted by kxi206 View Post
                  I don't like the name of the band either, for a nudist or non-nudist venue. But....it is possible that the particular club isn't trying to build a "family friendly image." Not everything has to be appropriate for children--or for squeamish adults for that matter. But I do think people should know what they're potentially getting into and the name of this band would be a pretty good clue to parents.
                  I agree that not everything has to be suitable for children. What a dull world this would be if it was. This bike rally is an annual event that the club sponsors. Part of the proceeds go to charity. I think the club does a decent job of letting people "know what they're potentially getting into". It is a biker rally after all, which most people would expect to not be G rated. Plus, they limit attendance to people 21 and over. Again, it's certainly debatable whether a nudist club is a suitable venue for a bike rally, but I think there's adequate disclosure as to what can be expected.
                  Sunshower rally page

Also, societal tolearance is changing. There is a very popular band out their called "The Butthole Surfers." I heard a clip of one of their songs and the full name of the group announced without hesitation the other day in a story on NPR!
                  The Butthole Surfers have been around a long time. One of their contemporaries is the Circle Jerks. There are a number of bands with 'dirty names'. It's all about creating a buzz and getting people to remember the name.

Originally posted by BinCo View Post
                  I find it just silly and immature. For them, it will be a short lived name and they will certainly not be very well played with that name.
                  I don't know about that. They've been around for at least four years (that's how far back the pics in their photo gallery go) and the schedule on their website seems pretty full for a band whose members have full time jobs.

Although it reminds me of a truckstop in Tenn or Kentucky that was halfway between 2 major cities. It had a resturant and a small hotel. The name of the place was Big Dick's Halfway Inn. My Ex B-i-L got a me a T-Shirt for it a long time ago.
                  Lots of businesses use mild 'naughtiness' as an advertising hook. There's a hot dog shop in the nearby little (conservative) town of Emmaus that sells T-shirts with double-entendres about their wieners. And there is a well known bar at the Jersey shore called Big Pecker's. They sell a lot of T-shirts.

I hope I haven't made any enemies.

Joe

Comment

In rhe AMISH country of Lancaster Pensylvania there is the town named INTERCOURSE.

http://www.800padutch.com/intercourse.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by David77 View Post
                      In the AMISH country of Lancaster Pensylvania there is the town named INTERCOURSE.
                      I love Intercourse!
                      So says a popular bumper sticker that the tourists buy. On it, I love Intercourse is in large letters, followed by PA in tiny letters.

Actually, I do like Intercourse. Who wouldn't? And don't forget about Blue Ball. Some people go through Blue Ball before they get to Intercourse. Not me. I get to Intercourse by way of Virginville.

I'm serious.

Joe
                      Last edited by Procrastinator; 07-25-2009, 12:09 AM. Reason: Removed a link to a picture that was hosted on a site that also hosted some not-so nice pictures.

Comment

Yes, the name of the band is sexual, but as has been said, they are not the first and won't be the last. What matters is the kind of music, and it sounds like they have the bike rally style of music. The question is how many bands of that genre would go to a nudist park for a bike rally?

The question is whether an adults-only event should be a part of any family nudist park if children are not allowed even in the park as it would seem here.

Bob S.

Comment

Great summary on your post Procrastinator. I agree with everything you said. Though I'm amazed that someone with your user name can respond so quickly.

It is refreshing to read a response that is so direct and does not stray from the original quote.

Keep up the good work.
                          Last edited by Kouak; 07-26-2009, 09:55 AM. Reason: Added sentence.

Comment

If I were that band, I would change the name. Also I do not think that resort is sending out a proper message. You have a family friendly resort and then create an event for "Adults only?". They should stay away from that unless they are planning to change the nature of the resort. Has the management changed recently?

Comment

D--- is short for Richard. Penetrators does not have to have a sexual meaning.

I will admit it is a double meaning.

If nudism wishes to attract some young people, events like this may be needed. I do understand why others are offended though.

However, with a name like that, the act will probably have some foul language, etc. that will not be appropriate for a family image.

I do prefer that the name was not quite that racy. However, I at least appreciate the attempt to let young adults know that they they are wanted and can have fun at a nudist resort.

Comment

Working...
                              X