naked among the clothed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: naked among the clothed?

I agree that mutual tolerance of individual preferences can work perfectly well if given half a chance. I regularly use a wonderful beach in Europe nude and have done so for around 25 years. It is also used by many clothed or semi-clothed walkers. I have never known there to be a problem of confrontation or complaint. Nudity is not official but it is fully tolerated. Police patrol occasionally, on horseback or quad bike, and ignore the nudists. In the past they have been known to ask people to cover up but there was never any follow-through and when they had continued on their way everyone just uncovered again. I can (and do) walk over a mile down the beach and back again with nothing on but a hat, taking a swim or three along the way.

For their part, those who prefer to be nude respect the unwritten zoning rules and stay in the part furthest from the beach restaurants/sunshade concessions. Everybody happy. Why cannot this type of practice be more widespread?

Comment

@atalanta That sounds like a great place. May I ask which beach it is?

Comment

It's in the Algarve, where I can without difficulty think of easily 20 beaches that can be used nude. I was on another one today. Just keep away from the urban beaches, concession areas, beach bars and be prepared to walk a bit.

Comment

While live and let live is a great philosophy, I see it as a slippery slope moving in only one direction, i.e., textiles using traditionally nude beaches and resorts. And because there are so many more of them, it can soon become a situation where nudists feel marginalized by the influx of new textiles, some of whom are not as open-minded as the original textile invaders. And once a beach is no longer seen as primarily a "nude" spot, it's just a matter of time before someone complains and it's all over. In the case of resorts, management (unless it's committed to nudity and has a booming business) will see there is more money to be made as a textile resort, and move in that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by nudesunguy View Post
            While live and let live is a great philosophy, I see it as a slippery slope moving in only one direction, i.e., textiles using traditionally nude beaches and resorts. And because there are so many more of them, it can soon become a situation where nudists feel marginalized by the influx of new textiles, some of whom are not as open-minded as the original textile invaders. And once a beach is no longer seen as primarily a "nude" spot, it's just a matter of time before someone complains and it's all over. In the case of resorts, management (unless it's committed to nudity and has a booming business) will see there is more money to be made as a textile resort, and move in that direction.
            I think you make a good point here. I like textiles to be either on the nude beach or just walking through it, I think it's great to demonstrate healthy innocent nudism to people who may not be very aware of it at all. I love to see textiles feeling comfortable enough to approach or even be sitting on the nudist section of my local beach. However there could come a point where the number of textiles on some nude beaches makes it very difficult to keep the beach designated as nudist or clothes optional. Luckily on my nearest beach there is ample space for everyone and a good mile walk through a textile beach before you find the nudist section. Also as far as I am aware there is only access from the one side so the likelihood that bands of textiles will trek all the way to the nudist section and then try and convert it is pretty limited. But on smaller beaches or those nearer to towns and cities (my beach is pretty much in the middle of nowhere in Wales) there could certainly be a problem in the future.

Comment

While live and let live is a great philosophy, I see it as a slippery slope moving in only one direction....
              If it were truely live and let live there would be no need for c/o or nude designated, all beaches would be c/o, resorts can choose as they will. I do understand your point, but there are other ways of thinking about the direction it could go.

Comment

The nudist vs. clothing optional has gone on for years -- as long as I've been going to nudist parks.

I do agree with you - that if a resort operator feels he can open new ground up by allowing "clothing optionality" he's gonna go for it, and tick off some of his legacy customers. It can be a dangerous game. Mind you - I'm all in favor of allowing the new reluctants a bit of slack. But I really don't want to go to a nudist park and wind up sitting around some people wearing bathing suits.

In our hot tub - we have a COMPULSORY rule - NO BATHING SUITS. This is for two reasons - 1) bathing suits can foul up a hot tub's water and here in New England it's not easy to change the water in winter and 2) get nude or don't come in. This is out of respect for the rest of us.

As far as beaches -- I cannot see how a "nude mandatory" rule can be enforced on public property.

When I have my annual "Nude Year's Eve" party -- mrslurk and I fully understand that some people will go nude on a beach, or in a pool, but somehow don't like sitting nude at a house party.

The text of my welcome sign from the 2012 party -

"Welcome to our home ... December 29, 2012 -- a "pre Nude Year's Eve Party ... we are honored and pleased that you dropped in!"

"We have heated the house to 80F/ 27C -- clothing is optional, the repository is in the bedroom on your right. Feel free to be clothed, or join your hosts in being sky-clad.:

"Our hot tub is open and heated to 103F / 38.5C and that is "NUDE ONLY" - please cover up until you are down the stairs. One other rule - please - NO SOLO BATHING!"

Comment

Originally posted by jayne View Post
                  I think you make a good point here. I like textiles to be either on the nude beach or just walking through it, I think it's great to demonstrate healthy innocent nudism to people who may not be very aware of it at all. I love to see textiles feeling comfortable enough to approach or even be sitting on the nudist section of my local beach. However there could come a point where the number of textiles on some nude beaches makes it very difficult to keep the beach designated as nudist or clothes optional. Luckily on my nearest beach there is ample space for everyone and a good mile walk through a textile beach before you find the nudist section. Also as far as I am aware there is only access from the one side so the likelihood that bands of textiles will trek all the way to the nudist section and then try and convert it is pretty limited. But on smaller beaches or those nearer to towns and cities (my beach is pretty much in the middle of nowhere in Wales) there could certainly be a problem in the future.
                  Exactly. Back in "the good old days" (pre-internet, when people could be forgiven for having stumbled upon a nude beach) textiles would show up at a nude beach and either run away in horror, or check it out and maybe join in. Nowadays since beaches are "clothing optional" they feel free to sit there all day in their bathing suits and glance in a bemused way at the strange nudists. They have no intention of joining in. And because of numbers, it soon becomes more of a "nudists tolerated" beach than a "clothing optional" beach. And nudists stop coming because they feel uncomfortable. And we know where that ends.

Of course a public beach cannot be "nudist mandatory," but there used to be a sort of unwritten rule that if you ended up at a nude beach, you either joined the Romans, or left. How things have changed. Here in California we are finding more and more that nudists are becoming the minority on what were once nude beaches and resorts.

Comment

• sdson
                    sdson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I live in San Diego. I agree that nudist beaches are becoming scarce (only Black's Beach is close by for me now that San Onofre is not nude friendly any more); I haven't noticed a shortage of nude people at Black's in the summer. I hope this continues. However, the resorts do seem to be closing.
                    I go to D'Anza Springs and have seen the crowds average age there around 50+. The nudist resorts appear to be in decline in the San Diego area at least. Once the older folks pass on there doesn't seem to be most interest in younger people attending the resorts. I beaches such as Black's and hopefully others in the future may be the only hope for social nudity.

• I was visiting Cypress Cove one cool evening in February. I go there to be nude, so I was nude. Coming out of the restaurant I met two couples going in who remarked that it was too cold to be nude. I replied that they lived there. They could be nude whenever they wanted. I was a visitor. I had to take my nude opportunities when available. It didn't matter to me that I was the only one nude. I was just glad that I had the opportunity without getting arrested.

Phil

Comment

• usuallylurk
                    usuallylurk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When I go to the Cove, or even my own "home" camp, there are times that it's too cold to be nude... nothing wrong with that.

• Today was a breakthrough day. Although I have been a nudist for many years, my wife and kids are the only family members who know. Today I was getting ready for work, had just showered and was in the master bath shaving. My brother was going to come over to fix a few things around my house. He called me on my cell phone to let me know that he was in the backyard checking out one of the projects, but did not know if i was home or not. I told him that I would be right down to let him in. I could have thrown on some shorts or grabbed a towel, but I thought "what the hell" and just ran downstairs naked. I got to the back slider and let him in. I said something about just getting out of the shower, but he seemed completely relaxed about my state of undress. We discussed the project and then I headed back upstairs. After a few minutes I remembered that I had a couple of other jobs for him and went back downstairs to talk to him. We talked for about five minutes, me completely nude and him fully dressed. He did not act like it was out of the normal at all. After I was dressed and ready to leave for work, I talked with him again about the work that needed to be done. His response to me was no different than when I had been naked. I guess I don't need to grab those shorts or towel at all when he comes over in the future. Nice to know.

Comment

• We were in Orlando, FL, several year back, for business. My wife needed to remain at the hotel for conferences/seminars and I had the day to myself. I got in the rental and headed for the Cove. Got there and it was overcast and cool but not cold. I checked in and was told that I'd be given a tour and that because it was cool, I didn't need to take my clothes off. I replied ... "I didn't come across the country to finally visit Cypress Cove and not get naked." The woman giving me the tour said ..."that's the kinda spirit we need more of, around here!" She took me on the tour, me naked, she in a light cover up. I spent a few hours naked amongst the clothed or partially covered nudists on the property. When it got cold, I went into the pool bar/grill and there we more naked nudists in the warmer environment but I seemed to be one of only a few hearty souls roaming the grounds naked, that day.

Comment

• First to arrive that morning at the pool I took my time to enjoy the peace and quiet only to be disturbed by the clothed pool manintence man and then two clothed female room attendances coming in for work, followed up by some roofing maintenance crew. Felt restless and decided to go the mens room on the way I passed two women wearing sarongs and a guy with swimming trunks on. I had to keep telling my self that this was a CO place and the clothed just did not know how to enjoy themself yet. My advance stages of nudism do flare up and have to learn to forgive others for they know not what the do.

Comment

• Went back to Pirates Cove the other day during the week (last time wife and I were there on the weekend we said never again...overrun with young/drunk/trash-leaving textiles) and noticed someone had actually put up a meager sign on the tiny nude section that is left of a once expansive nude beach. It sort of pleaded with the textiles to leave this section to the nudists, pointing out that they had the entire rest of the beach. Unfortunately, the sign was so modest, and colored to blend in with the rocks that I didn't see it until a couple hours after getting there. I'll be surprised if any textiles notice or pay attention to it, but at least someone is trying...

Comment

• It's very important for the naturists to stand strong for those areas that have been clothing optional for many years, and not to give in, to the daily pressure to clothe themselves because of the clothing obsessed who happen upon or seek out our natural places.
                          I regret earlier in the season , I did not remove my shorts upon arrival at a favorite spot because of the many clothed in the area.
                          While it is now mid-season, the shorts come off regardless of who is around and.I now see many need a prompt for them to join in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naturist Zoar View Post
                            It's very important for the naturists to stand strong for those areas that have been clothing optional for many years, and not to give in, to the daily pressure to clothe themselves because of the clothing obsessed who happen upon or seek out our natural places.
                            I regret earlier in the season , I did not remove my shorts upon arrival at a favorite spot because of the many clothed in the area.
                            While it is now mid-season, the shorts come off regardless of who is around and.I now see many need a prompt for them to join in.
                            Totally right. When I get to the nude beach and I find myself in the midst of covered people, my first inclination is to head for the far end of the beach and be naked alone.

But then I realize that doing that would be a disservice to nudism. So my strategy for avoiding cold feet is simple: I just get naked the moment my feet hit the sand. Arriving nude "sets the example" just a bit; hopefully enough to encourage other arriving nudists' willingness to also be nude.

Comment

Working...
                            X