population

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• population

How many are there? The AANR said there are 50,000 nudist in the USA, but that's their membership number. I believe there are more. I have seen at lease 1,000 nudist at haulover beach and I know they are not members of AANR. I believe I read somewhere that in the USA the number is about 1 percent and that Pasco county in Florida has the largest community of nudist and it's about 10 percent.

How many are there? The AANR said there are 50,000 nudist in the USA, but that's their membership number. I believe there are more. I have seen at lease 1,000 nudist at haulover beach and I know they are not members of AANR. I believe I read somewhere that in the USA the number is about 1 percent and that Pasco county in Florida has the largest community of nudist and it's about 10 percent.

Comment

jax

AANR has been saying 50,000 nudists for 15 years and that Nudism is a 400 Million dollar trade.

AANR has lost more members and clubs than gained in the last few years, and the $400 Million trade is very inaccurate.

Another CFF Post where this was mentioned:

Link to another post about AANR members, and Millions of dollar Nudist Trade

Re: Quote from the Newsweek Gay Nudist article:

quote:
      Nude travel has become a $400 million industry—double what it was 10 years ago—according to the American Association for Nude Recreation.

AANR and the Media have been reporting the nudist industry as a 400 Million dollar industry for 10-15 years now. Must be at least a $800,000,000 industry if it doubles what it was 10 years ago according to the American Association for Nude Recreation.

AANR Stop guessing, give us some real facts and figures!

Comment

That's just how many they estimate as far as membership goes. There are far more nudists that are not members who are affiliated with any other organizations. Just like on this site, we can account for the nudists that are members, or posters on this site, but we cannot account for the ones who are not.

I believe there are a lot more 'practicing' nudists out there than one can imagine. By that I mean, there are those who, over the years, have slept with nothing on and continue to roam around the house nude in the morning and nighttime hours, but do not consider themselves nudists. To them, they are living their lives normal. I personally know of several families where the husband roams around the house with only his underwear (near nude), but again, there are those who are completely nude.

So with that, I do believe, the numbers of nudists are truely underestimated.

Comment

If only 50,000 nudists were spending $400,000,000 that would mean $8,000 a year for every man woman and child nudist.

If the 1% estimate is correct. There are 300,000 nudists in the US. Not the estimated 50,000 reported.

300,000 nudists spending $400million averages to $1,333 each. That's still a lot more than I spend per year for Two of us.

So either there are a lot more of us than estimated. Or some of us spend one heck of a lot of money on vacations.

Steve

Comment

That analysis of spending vs numbers is a great analysis. Hmmmm, I spend almost nothing! Just go nakes where and when I can and at home is all the time. Costs nothing!

Comment

You even save money by not wearing out your clothing as fast. Sounds like AANR is just making a guess without much to back it up.

Comment

quote:
                You even save money by not wearing out your clothing as fast. Sounds like AANR is just making a guess without much to back it up.

All they are doing is making an educated? guess. There are many of us who are non members of any organized nudist group that go nude whenever and wherever we can.

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by Rabid_Clam:
                  That analysis of spending vs numbers is a great analysis...
                  Except that 1 percent equals 3 million, not 300,000. That changes the per capita spending figure by quite a bit.

If 1 is 1 percent of 100, then 3 is 1 percent of 300...

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by Nude in the North:
                    If only 50,000 nudists were spending $400,000,000 that would mean $8,000 a year for every man woman and child nudist.

If the 1% estimate is correct. There are 300,000 nudists in the US. Not the estimated 50,000 reported.

300,000 nudists spending $400million averages to $1,333 each. That's still a lot more than I spend per year for Two of us.

So either there are a lot more of us than estimated. Or some of us spend one heck of a lot of money on vacations.

Steve

First of all, that 50,000 figure is an OLD number. AANR membership is somewhat lower, supposedly, today. That was the membership at its peak around 2000.

Second - the $400 million is not an outlandish figure if you look at the condo sales at super-resorts, vacations spent at places and arenas that have an affiliation with AANR (nude cruises, etc.) but members don't necessarily belong to AANR.

Third - I'll give you my example -- I take two nudist vacations a year (one to Cypress Cove, one to Eastover) and my wife and I spend roughly $3,000 on both of those, including transportation.

We belong to a landed club (dues $575 a year) and we probably spend another $200 or so in food there; we also belong to four non-landed clubs and dues, entry fees, etc. probably cost us another $300 or so a year.

So let's round that to around $4,000-5,000.

And we're NOT AANR members but AANR certainly can consider our spending in that $400 million.

Let me give you another example. Hypothetical but these do exist.

A young couple in their 20's decide to head to Vermont for a weekend -- and their destination is The Ledges, a free, legal , public skinny-dipping spot near Wilmington, Vermont. They book into a B&B at $150/night. They also go out to dinner both nights, so tack on another $100 to their spending. Then they fill the gas tank at (gulp) around $30.

So let's look at $430 -- not spent directly on nude recreation -- but in this couple's pursuit of it for a weekend. Is it unreasonable to assume that those dollars are nude recreation dollars? I don't think it is.

My wife and I attended the recent naked bowling in Maine. Yes, we spent $20 on the event and another $20 on pizza and beer while we were there. The next day we went to another nudist event in Maine, a nude swim (another $20).

But is it not beyond reason to consider my gasoline for the round trip ($35) road tolls ($6) lodging ($80) and other meals (probably $50) in the mix?

Comment

Those exact same figures quoted by AANR and the Media for over 10 years is outlandish! Surely those same quoted figures year after year have changed.

Less AANR membership

Less Sanctioned Clubs

More Spending on the Nudist Trade

Comment

Where have the numbers come from? Membership to nudist associations can be counted easily but who sits at nude beaches and counts ?

Comment

quote:

So either there are a lot more of us than estimated.
                          But it's 3,000,000 nudists spending $400 million...

I calculate $133 per capita, which is way less than what I spend.

Comment

quote:
                            But it's 3,000,000 nudists spending $400 million...

OOPS!

My Bad. That's what I get for using an 8 digit calculator instead of a pencil.

Honestly I probably would have done better doing the math in my head.

Looks like I got a C in math today.

Steve

PS. I don't doubt that Nudists spend atleast $400,000,000 a year. But I'm pretty sure it takes more than 50,000 of us to do it. And most of the people doing the spending probably don't even consider themselves nudists.

Comment

According to some news stories, Paradise Lakes Resort alone has 80,000 guests per year - clearly not all AANR members. While PL is a major player, I suspect they represent somewhat less than half of the total industry.

I haven't been able to zero in on the origin of the $400 million dollar Industry total figure, but Forbes Magazine calculated the Nudist Travel Industry was worth $120 million in 1992, and AANR was saying in 2000 that that figure has tripled to almost $400 million. Since 2000 they have dropped the 'almost'.

$400 million for an entire industry is pretty small. That is less than some individual movies or video games make - indeed the nascent industry of putting advertising inside video games will soon reach $400 million a year. The American domestic tourist industry is somewhere in neighborhood of $680 BILLION per year ($2 Trillion worldwide). Nudism is a drop in the bucket.

-Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X