The Nudist Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nudist Magazine

Hi everyone I know that racing stripes are the topic of the day, however, I have a question for the board.

The other day a book dealer friend of mine showed me a May 1933 copy of the nudist magazine which I immediatly purchased.

Normally I research my odd purchases such as this on the internet but have been unable to find much of anything out about this one other than it was the second issue of the magazine.

Anybody out in nude land no anything else about it such as rarity etc .... ?

Hi everyone I know that racing stripes are the topic of the day, however, I have a question for the board.

The other day a book dealer friend of mine showed me a May 1933 copy of the nudist magazine which I immediatly purchased.

Normally I research my odd purchases such as this on the internet but have been unable to find much of anything out about this one other than it was the second issue of the magazine.

Anybody out in nude land no anything else about it such as rarity etc .... ?

Comment

RAD: Look at ebay under either naturism or nudism. They have items up for auction relating to those topics. If you find something rather rare or old piece of article, you can then find out who is selling that item. You can then find out that persons e-mail address and write to them. Those people are into "antiques" or rare items. They may be able to help you.

I started to collect coins, state quarters, over e-bay a couple of years ago. After finding out that persons e-mail address, I have been in constant contact with him. Each year, he will e-mail me asking if I am interested in getting the newest set of quarters.

I have purchased other items on e-bay as well, and you can make some pretty good friends.

Good luck. Hope you find out more information on your magazine.

Comment

Good idea. In fact since we have have been using ebay since 1996 it was one of the first places that I looked. Unfortunatly, or perhaps fortunatly in the long run, about the oldest items I can find up there are from the 50's. Still I might contact a couple of the dealers and see what they know.

Thanks

Comment

Was the name of the magazine "The Nudist Magazine"?

Comment

The Nudist magazine was first published in 1933. Edited by Rev. Henry S. Huntington Jr (former Prebyterian minister). Later renamed Sunshine and Health by Rev. Isley Boone, it was the official publication of the American Sunbathing Association (ASA). ASA is now AANR, so I guess that makes The Bulletin the latest incarnation of The Nudist.

There are no listings on eBay, so I couldn't hazard a guess about its monetary value. But it certainly has some historic value.

-Mark

Comment

Ask AANR I think they have a document and reference library available to all memebers.

NakedGary

Comment

This Google search took .09 seconds to get 96,700 links to the subject:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...=Google+Search

This being the first link:

http://www.aanr.com/anrl/

NakedGary

Comment

INA hits second on Nudist History Google Search out of 96,699 links!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...=Google+Search

2nd listing INA:

http://www.clothesfree.com/history.html

NakedGary

Comment

O.K. maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been. A search on the internet, to include Google, doesn't have any pertinent information about the magazine other than when it started and that is already on the magazine.

At least none of the 30 - 40 links that I have followed so far do. But still I thank you for trying to point out the obvious to me. That you can type the word nudist into google and get a large response.

Comment

If you are in Florida, you might enjoy a visit to the American Nudist Research Library, located on the grounds of Cypress Cove, but operated as a separate 501(c)3 corporation. It collects and catalogs books, periodicals,videos, and dvds. It is open to the public, easy to join, and worth supporting.(It accepts donations of materials as well as financial support.)

Comment

Is your publication U.S. or UK?

I have a collection of older nudist magazines the oldest being Ballyhoo-- October 1933 (black & white)

The next oldest I have is Health and Efficency May 1938 (color)

I have many in the 1950's and 60's as well.

Comment

I have purchased many on e-bay with average price of the 1930's publications in the $15.00 US range in almost mint condition. (no foxing, no tears, and no fading.)

If your interested in selling it I would appreciate a chane to aquire it for my collection.

Thanks
                          Derek

quote:
                          Originally posted by RAD:
                          [qb] Hi everyone I know that racing stripes are the topic of the day, however, I have a question for the board.

Anybody out in nude land no anything else about it such as rarity etc .... ? [/qb]

Comment

I hope you enjoy those glimpses into our history. I would enjoy seeing more such photos myself, with text to explain the context.

I encourage you to donate them to AANR's library if these are not already in their collection.

Magazines can be preserved for posterity by an archivist, one who is trained in how to neutralize the acid that is typically found on most paper, as well as taking further steps to prevent oxidation and mechanical damage.

These old nudist magazines have an important story that should not be lost to the next generation.

Comment

Working...
                            X