The Science of Nudity - one report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Science of Nudity - one report

Quest has a short piece describing some current scientific thinking related to exposure to nudity.

One interesting statement is:
    One important thing science tells us is that humans are hyper-tuned to the sight of bare skin. We recognize nude images quicker than almost anything–faster than cars, clothed people, or faces–and we do it within 0.2 seconds.
    Another of it's statements might be a little simpleminded and as stated I would disagree with until I saw the experimental evidence:
    And then there are obvious results: nudity causes arousal.
    Exposure to parental nudity was found:
    to be associated with beneficial outcomes, including increased self-esteem, sexual knowledge, and comfort with physical contact and affection. Exposure to nudity in the home was also associated with lower rates of theft and drug use in adolescence as well as improved relations with adults outside of the family.
    Follow the link in the article for more details.

The article quotes a Paul Abramson, a psychology professor at UCLA who would like to see zoning regulations changed to allow nudity legal in certain more secluded areas.

Re: The Science of Nudity - one report

Another of it's statements might be a little simpleminded and as stated I would disagree with until I saw the experimental evidence: And then there are obvious results: nudity causes arousal.
    I wonder how much of that arousal is pavlovian. Before nudism, I was easily aroused by the simple image of a nude woman, after I will not say not at all, but no where near as much.

Comment

Re: The Science of Nudity - one report

Yet despite these findings, Abramson thinks public nudity should still be regulated.
      “I would use zoning to make it [nudity] legal in certain more secluded areas. But you would have to signal it very clearly, just like they do with strip clubs, so you don’t get the ‘inadvertent viewer’ problem.

I agree with him about that.

Stu

Comment

Working...
      X