What Makes a Naturist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Makes a Naturist?

Since everybody showers naked, does that make them a naturist?
    If you never leave you room naked, are you a naturist?
    If you never leave your house naked, are you a naturist?
    If you never leave the yard, are you a naturist?

I am curious what the CFI community thinks? While everybody at some point in the day is clothes free what separates the naturist? Emailing about being naked probably is to low a bar but promoting and enjoying the lifestyle seems to be a more adequate measure.

This question came up while talking with friends and we could not come to a conculsion. I have see the term Closet Nudist? This strikes me as odd, is that the same as a Closet Opera singer who only performs in the shower?

Cheers,

Since everybody showers naked, does that make them a naturist?
    If you never leave you room naked, are you a naturist?
    If you never leave your house naked, are you a naturist?
    If you never leave the yard, are you a naturist?

I am curious what the CFI community thinks? While everybody at some point in the day is clothes free what separates the naturist? Emailing about being naked probably is to low a bar but promoting and enjoying the lifestyle seems to be a more adequate measure.

This question came up while talking with friends and we could not come to a conculsion. I have see the term Closet Nudist? This strikes me as odd, is that the same as a Closet Opera singer who only performs in the shower?

Cheers,

Comment

I suppose a "low bar" definition of nudist could be "someone who spends time in the nude that others would spend clothed", thus "at home nudists" and "closet nudists" would qualify, even if they never participate in social nudity.

-Mark

Comment

A nudist is not always a naturist.

To be a naturist one has to be more "in tune" with the natural world, hence the term "naturist".

Many nudists are more in tune with nature and therefore qualify as naturists as well, that is why the terms are pretty interchangeable.

Comment

Technically, a naturist/nudist in someone who enjoys being nude in an environment shared by other nude people. But then, when you start to take into account single home-nudists, nudist advocates who don't necessarily go nude that often themselves, people with non-nudist S/O who don't get the opportunity to be socially nude that often, we have to either broaden the technical definition of a naturist, or leave these people out. And that's a lot of people to leave out.

To me, a naturist is simply someone who embraces the concepts and philosophy that being nude is healthy and enjoyable, who is comfortable with his/her nudity, and can expound on the benefits of nudism. If nudity is preferred, yet unapplicable because of individual circumstances, that may take away the act, but not the will. And the will to be nude is probably the most important aspect of what being a naturist is all about, IMHO.

Comment

Personally I think anyone who enjoys been naked, whether by themselves or in the company of others could consider themselves a naturist.

Comment

This is a tough question, really. When I was growing up, I went nude when the folks weren't home. We lived down the street from a nudist resort and I longed to get inside those fences. So I did not consider myself a nudist then. I also went skinnydipping with my friends in the river, local lakes, and at the beach. I still did not consider myself a nudist then. To me a nudist was someone who went to a place to be nude with other people and felt totally comfortable, but not just alone or with a few close friends. As I said, this is a really tough question. It is hard to put your finger on that definition.
              Florida Cracker

Comment

I am with Naturist Mark when it comes to the definition of a nudist/naturist. I also second the comment by Nudony. Since I started as a closet nudist/naturist, only going nude when I was alone and would not be caught, I fit into Mark's definition. As I matured and grew, I came to what Nudony defines as a naturist. I do and will continue to go nude as much as possible in my life.

Comment

I feel a nudist and a naturist are basically the same when in the absence of sexual activity.

Anyone who is as comfortable without textiles as with them also qualifies.

As in all interests there are a gazillion shades of gray for this so the home nudist is one shade as the very social nudist is another. But they all qualify.

Comment

Found this on the U.K. naturist factfile and I think it sums up pretty well what makes a naturist -

" A person who prefers not to wear clothes when there is no rational reason for them. They are easily offended by people who can't comprehend that nudity has nothing to do with sex or treatening or offensive behaviour."

Comment

I'm with Nudony on this. If you share the philosophy of nudism, you are one, even if you do not practice it. Sometimes, there are reasons why a nudist cannot be naked when he wants to be.

Think about this: If I change the word nudist to Christian:

If you never go to church, are you still a Christian?

If you never read the Bible, are you a Christian?

If you have never prayed to G*d, are you a Christain?

So what does make someone Christian? The singular belief that Jesus is your Savior and died for your sins. That is all that is needed, the belief, not any actions on your part.

Bob S.

Comment

Working...
                      X